PDA

View Full Version : First Wii Experiance?

Monica
12-09-2006, 07:03 PM
Meh, I'm so excited to have played the display in EBGames lol. I went shopping yesterday in the mall, and I had planned to stop in EBGames and play the Wii display and when I got in there, Zelda was on and it was vacant! So we asked where the controllers were and they said they had to hold a credit card while I played because the controller was wireless. Is that so people just don't run out with them? Anyway, my mom gave them hers (I don't have one) and they handed me the controllers, and I fastened them and it was awesome! :) I figured out the sword pretty quick but I couldn't quite get the bow situated and I died. How are you supposed to do the bow? I pulled it over my shoulder but I couldn't aim... Anyway as I was playing people started lining up behind me so when I died I decided to stop and give someone else a turn then and left.

Today I went shopping again (in the other direction lol) and played the display at Gamestop which had Excite Truck. I'm not much into racing and I couldn't control that thing to save my life, lol. But they only gave me half the controller. The joystick part for Zelda wasn't connected, is that an addon or something? Does it come in the package? Does it come with Zelda? :confused:

I'll probably get a Wii after they get all the bugs worked out (including the strap issue - I was calm, I dunno how they let go of them and make them fly...)

What were your first Wii Experiances like?

Tygore
12-09-2006, 07:39 PM
Yeah, the credit card thing is so you don't steal controllers. You would think that Nintendo would have made a tethering system for display Wiimotes, but whatever.

I actually made a topic about my first time (this was pre-launch, it's gone back a few pages by now). It was ExciteTruck, which I wasn't all that impressed with. It's a game I'll probably end up buying once it graces the $20 and lower shelves. I was really impressed with the Remote itself, though. Playing around in the menus was fun once I re-calibrated their pointer.

Modus Ponens
12-09-2006, 08:18 PM
But they only gave me half the controller. The joystick part for Zelda wasn't connected, is that an addon or something? Does it come in the package? Does it come with Zelda? :confused:

That joystick part is called the Nunchuk. Its functionality is used by some games, including Zelda and Wii Sports boxing, but many games, like Excite Truck, don't use it. One Wii Remote and one Nunchuk come with each Wii, as well as a copy of Wii Sports.

Monica
12-09-2006, 08:25 PM
That joystick part is called the Nunchuk. Its functionality is used by some games, including Zelda and Wii Sports boxing, but many games, like Excite Truck, don't use it. One Wii Remote and one Nunchuk come with each Wii, as well as a copy of Wii Sports.

Oh good, thanks, I'm very glad the Nunchuck is included with the system. ^^ That reminds me, is the shell of the GC controller included as well or is THAT extra?

Tygore
12-09-2006, 08:41 PM
The GC shell was a speculative mock-up of what became the Classic Controller. Those are $20, but I'm fairly certain that you can use a Gamecube controller for anything a Classic can do, so if you have a few of those the Classic controller isn't necessary.

Monica
12-09-2006, 08:47 PM
The GC shell was a speculative mock-up of what became the Classic Controller. Those are $20, but I'm fairly certain that you can use a Gamecube controller for anything a Classic can do, so if you have a few of those the Classic controller isn't necessary.

Cool. :) I do still have my GC and controllers so I guess I won't need to worry about that.

Lotus_Eater
12-09-2006, 08:51 PM
If I am not mistake to fire the bow, you aim by pointing the controller at what you want to shoot, press a button to draw the string, then release it to fire.

Modus Ponens
12-09-2006, 08:54 PM
Just remember that when you plug in your GCN controller, the port closest to the front of the system is #1. This may seem like moronic advice, but I was pulling my hair out trying to get Super Mario 64 to work until I moved the controller from what turned out to be #4 to #1. (I was going by the shape of the hole and assuming that the shape-to-port-number orientation would be the same as with the GCN, but it's actually reversed. It was only later that I found the little pips on the Wii telling you which port is which.)

If this post doesn't help you, Monica, or anyone else, then it has at least served to make me look like a doofus.

Monica
12-09-2006, 09:16 PM
Just remember that when you plug in your GCN controller, the port closest to the front of the system is #1. This may seem like moronic advice, but I was pulling my hair out trying to get Super Mario 64 to work until I moved the controller from what turned out to be #4 to #1. (I was going by the shape of the hole and assuming that the shape-to-port-number orientation would be the same as with the GCN, but it's actually reversed. It was only later that I found the little pips on the Wii telling you which port is which.)

If this post doesn't help you, Monica, or anyone else, then it has at least served to make me look like a doofus.

lol, thanks, I'll remember that. Actually though I probably won't be getting it for Christmas. We got my brother the classic XBOX the Christmas it came out and that was a complete disaster. The moral of the story? Don't get consoles when they first come out, lol.

Xyvol
12-09-2006, 11:56 PM
More like don't get Microsoft products when they first come out!:) Nintendo is probably a safe bet. I've never had a problem with Nintendo stuff, however the Wii is the first launch system I've bought. I am confident that it will run fine for a long while and make my extended warranty useless.

As for the topic question, I had seen a few people try it at stores the days before but never tried it then myself. I knew I wanted to get it, so I could wait until I got the system home to play with it. I love the way Zelda's control scheme adapted to the Wii, even if they didn't do the bow the way they originally announced (pull back and release).

MottZilla
12-10-2006, 12:10 AM
Ninetndo's systems are all built with a minimum level of durability and quality life-span wise. I have a launch GameCube that is working excellent still. And none of my other Nintendo systems have ever had problems really. Ofcourse, if they moved their manufacturing to China, then it really doesn't matter. But if it's still in Japan, the hardware should be well built.

AtmaWeapon
12-10-2006, 12:26 AM
Mott I think you got "minimum" and "maximum" mixed up but I forgive you :)

Today I saw a Wii display at an EB and at first I was glad to see this normally anti-Nintendo store (maybe just this location but whatever) with a Wii on display right inside the door. Until I noticed they messed up the TV and it's black-and-white only.

The reason there's not a tethering system on the controllers is probably the high rate of damage to display items. Every gamecube or PS2 display I see has at least one piece of the controller missing; I'm sure within a few months PS3 displays will be like that. It happens because parents don't want to watch their crotchlings at the mall so they just dump them in EB and let them play the game demos. Their spawn proceed to mash and mangle the controller since the employees are too busy with actual customers to watch the drooling masses every second. This way, when the little jerks break the Wii controller good old mommy has to open her pocketbook.

Dechipher
12-10-2006, 12:43 AM
I'm pretty sure my friends and I are slowly breaking the guitars on the guitar hero II display at walmart. We pretty much play every night.
Gotta love college.

Tygore
12-10-2006, 12:45 AM
The reason there's not a tethering system on the controllers is probably the high rate of damage to display items. Every gamecube or PS2 display I see has at least one piece of the controller missing; I'm sure within a few months PS3 displays will be like that. It happens because parents don't want to watch their crotchlings at the mall so they just dump them in EB and let them play the game demos. Their spawn proceed to mash and mangle the controller since the employees are too busy with actual customers to watch the drooling masses every second. This way, when the little jerks break the Wii controller good old mommy has to open her pocketbook.

Oh man, don't even get me started on DS demos. I once watched a child too short to reach the stand start mindlessly stabbing at the screens. It was actually enough to where I went over there and stopped him myself.

Monica
12-10-2006, 12:54 AM
Oh man, don't even get me started on DS demos. I once watched a child too short to reach the stand start mindlessly stabbing at the screens. It was actually enough to where I went over there and stopped him myself.

Ugh, DS, now THAT is the display I NEED to play so I'd know if I can see the screen well enough or not, but I've NEVER seen one out or playable. :( And I've looked everywhere there are videogames in both directions, heh.

ctrl-alt-delete
12-10-2006, 01:21 AM
More like don't get Microsoft products when they first come out!:) Nintendo is probably a safe bet. I've never had a problem with Nintendo stuff, however the Wii is the first launch system I've bought. I am confident that it will run fine for a long while and make my extended warranty useless.

As for the topic question, I had seen a few people try it at stores the days before but never tried it then myself. I knew I wanted to get it, so I could wait until I got the system home to play with it. I love the way Zelda's control scheme adapted to the Wii, even if they didn't do the bow the way they originally announced (pull back and release).

It was never announced to be pull back and release. The original control scheme just used the down button on the directional pad. In the E3 video, he seems to draw it back, but that is not actually the case.

MottZilla
12-10-2006, 03:17 AM
Mott I think you got "minimum" and "maximum" mixed up but I forgive you :)

No, I meant minimum. As in, there is a minimum amount of durability Nintendo will allow to pass. Meaning that their products are designed to with-stand a good amount of abuse. If something is particularly frail, Nintendo likely didn't release it. ;p

Thunderbird
12-10-2006, 02:26 PM

Do note that there appears to be nothing on the GameCube controller that corresponds to the Select button (unless F-Zero plain doesn't use that button, but I thought it did). Also, the button layout can be difficult to deal with in some SNES games (I have a hell of a time reaching the Y button for the brake in F-Zero after hitting a dash zone with Fire Stingray in Death Wind 2). But I bought the Wavebird primarily to be able to play GC games, which I have a few of now :).

MottZilla
12-10-2006, 03:42 PM
Does VC not remap the buttons to match their positions and uses GC's retarded repositioned lettering? That would really make things suck in SNES games where Y and B were the primary buttons. The best thing for VC would be a SNES to GC controller adapter.

Dechipher
12-10-2006, 05:12 PM
No, the best thing for the VC would be new SNES controllers for the VC, and then maybe an adapter. Good SNES controllers are so hard to come by now, that I could sure use them for my SNES too.

Thunderbird
12-10-2006, 08:40 PM
What I've seen of the Classic Controller is pretty damn close to the SNES controller design. But I don't have one.

But yes, the VC does not remap the buttons, they correspond to the same buttons on the GC controller as they do on the SNES controller. But VC games that don't use the remote emphasize use of the Classic Controller (they will show "You will need the Classic Controller." with no mention of the GC controller).

AtmaWeapon
12-11-2006, 01:35 AM
What I've seen of the Classic Controller is pretty damn close to the SNES controller design. But I don't have one.

No it's actually like the SNES controller's retarded cousin. I would illustrate with my digital camera but it is AWOL at the moment so I'll try to go through its failures without visual aids.

The shape is kind of funky but honestly I've yet to find a controller that's really very comfortable to me so I'll toss that out. Honestly the front side of the controller is OK except for the fact that I'm not fond of the level of resistance the analog sticks provide.

The L and R buttons appear to have analog functionality; whether this is true has yet to be tested since the only Nintendo system with analog L and R were GCN games and I'm fairly certain there won't ever be VC GCN games available. (If you can't figure out why try thinking harder.) Between L and R are two buttons (ZL and ZR) that have about the tension that I think L and R should have but I'm not really sure what they do yet.

Even more mysterious is an unlabeled button between ZL and ZR that serves no obvious purpose. It's labeled on the controller's packaging and pushing it in doesn't provide any kind of clicking tactile feedback that a button press has been registered. My only guess at the purpose of this button is it is the reason why the wire comes out of the bottom of the controller instead of the top, but even then that's not a good reason to put a button on a controller.

Personally I'd like to see peripherals for the Wii that either convert or are replicas of the original systems' controllers. Yeah it'd cost more but if you were a serious VC junkie it'd be a fair price to pay for the ultimate in accuracy.

MottZilla
12-11-2006, 01:41 AM
No, the best thing for the VC would be new SNES controllers for the VC, and then maybe an adapter. Good SNES controllers are so hard to come by now, that I could sure use them for my SNES too.

No it's not. Hell my original SNES controllers from 1993 are still here and they still work. You can find more originals if you look, and there are also 3rd party ones out there.

Matteo
12-11-2006, 04:17 AM
Does VC not remap the buttons to match their positions and uses GC's retarded repositioned lettering? That would really make things suck in SNES games where Y and B were the primary buttons. The best thing for VC would be a SNES to GC controller adapter.

Here it is:
http://www.retrousb.com/wii.html

A little overpriced, but a great concept...might pick some up after the VC gets better games...

Tygore
12-11-2006, 06:15 AM

http://www.retrousb.com/wii.html

EDIT: How I did not notice the very previous post can be best explained by "It's finals week and I'm averaging 5 hours of sleep per night".

Monica
12-12-2006, 08:52 PM
I went back to the same store where they had Zelda on display earlier today, but this time something was wrong and I couldn't get Link to move forward. Nomatter what, the game pulled him backwards into the wall. I mean he actually turned around and walked toward you until he hit the wall and got stuck there. :( This was the SAME Display I played just a few days ago! I guess that's one of the bugs that I need to wait for them to fix...^^

On the bright side, they had a DS display and I was delighted to find out I CAN READ THE WORDS! That is a HUGE deal. :) I haven't been able to read the text on any GB's including the GBA, so I've steered clear of handhelds, but now I'm thinking about asking for a DS for Christmas! (While I wait for them to fix the launch wii issues) :)

AlexMax
12-12-2006, 09:31 PM
I went back to the same store where they had Zelda on display earlier today, but this time something was wrong and I couldn't get Link to move forward. Nomatter what, the game pulled him backwards into the wall. I mean he actually turned around and walked toward you until he hit the wall and got stuck there. :( This was the SAME Display I played just a few days ago! I guess that's one of the bugs that I need to wait for them to fix...^^

Ask the clerk to reset the console if this happens. That's due to the stick not being centered while booting up.

My first Wii experience was a couple days before launch. My friends and I went on a little trip to our EB to try it out. Unofruniatly, instead of Zelda, we got stuck with ExciteTruck, which was pretty weak sauce in my opinion. We had more fun dicking around in the menus then actually playing the game. Thankfully, Twilight Princess is fucking awesome, as is Wii Sports, with Monkey Ball almost as such.