PDA

View Full Version : Link's sprite displays between layers 4 and 5 while jumping

Radien ZC
12-07-2006, 09:32 PM
The topic title pretty much describes the idea. It would remedy a whole LOT of display conflicts with currently existing tilesets, where Link's sprite will appear behind treetops while jumping even if he is in front of the tree itself. This could be a quest rule.

Yes, I know there would still be visual bugs, but there would be fewer in most cases, and it would be closer to how it is handled in Minish Cap. If you wanted, you could make it a screen flag instead of a quest rule.

I'm not suggesting the functionality of the jump be changed at all (at least, not in this thread).

_L_
12-08-2006, 04:39 AM
Here's the obvious solution:

Link is drawn above all layer 3 combos at or north of his position, and drawn below all layer 3 combos south of his position.

The problem is that the current display code doesn't quite work like that.

Radien ZC
12-08-2006, 07:46 AM
Here's the obvious solution:

Link is drawn above all layer 3 combos at or north of his position, and drawn below all layer 3 combos south of his position.

The problem is that the current display code doesn't quite work like that.
Hmm. Let me guess as to a possible translation of the problem:

Combos on layers have a 2-dimensional "location" on the screen. There is no "Z-axis" as far as combo display is concerned.

Does that explain it correctly in a different way?

Well, in any case, my suggestion was meant to be a band-aid for that. To tell the truth, I'm not even entirely sure Minish Cap had the specific feature you're talking about. (If it did, then it was fairly buggy)