PDA

View Full Version : Which console should i buy?

JNJ
12-06-2006, 08:02 AM
Im looking into getting a new games console ive read good reviews on both the Nintendo wii and the PS3 but cant afford both so which should i get and why?

Imprisoned
12-06-2006, 09:08 AM
Wii
Good things about the Wii

1. The Wii is cheap
2. The new innovative motion-sensor controller offering a new way of playing in fps games and other games.
3. Wii has Zelda and Mario. That's obvious.
4. Realistic fps games.
5. Can download great old games through Virtual Console.
6. News channel and forecast channel.
7. TOUGH CONTROLLER. I've seen the vids showing people letting go of the Wiimotes due to the bad wrist strap, the controller smashed a TV, but the controller itself was OK. REMEMBER, DO NOT LET GO OF THE CONTROLLER.
8. 2 USB ports in the console.
9. Small and stylish.
10. Wii Connect 24 (Keeps your Wii 24 hours in internet if you want to, so the console might download new content to your game even after the release date)
11. Can use GCN controllers and memory cards and play the games.
12. Wireless NDS connection.

Bad things about the Wii

1. W-e-a-k wrist strap (I STRONGLY recommend replacing it with a NDS wrist strap!.
2. No free internet play until second quarter of 2007 ( I think you can play with an internet connection, you'll just need one.).
3. No serial ports for something like GCN's Game Boy Player.

Playstation 3

Good things about the PlayStation 3

1. PS3 has superior hardware.
2. HDTV resolution avaible.
3. 4 USB ports.
4. Blu-ray disc drive.
5. Stylish.
6. Free internet play.
7. HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface)
8. 20GB/60GB Hard Disk Drive.
9. *Always On*

Quoted from www.playstation.com (http://www.playstation.com)
...Offering a world of online possibilities including multiplayer gaming, text and video messaging, voice chatting, downloading content and browsing the internet.

10. Motion-sensor controller (ripped from the Wii)

Bad things about PS3

1. It's daaaamn expensive. About 600$ for the 60GB system, and about 500$ for the 20GB system.
2. Copyed Nintendo in motion-sensors.
3. The controller is same old.

I recommend buying the Wii. But if you don't want the Wii, buy an Xbox 360.

EDIT: Sorry for the big font... I was just pissed off :D

biggiy05
12-06-2006, 10:54 AM
I don't think he is blind and needs the font bigger than his screen.

The Wii is more affordable and has more games available now than the PS3 does. Go to a store and play the Wii and then the PS3 and decide which one you like better.

Warlock
12-06-2006, 11:08 AM
I don't think he is blind and needs the font bigger than his screen.

The Wii is more affordable and has more games available now than the PS3 does. Go to a store and play the Wii and then the PS3 and decide which one you like better.

Right, that's all you need to know right there. Wii is affordable and has great games out for it already.

Kairyu
12-06-2006, 11:18 AM
Oversized fanboy ravings with completely random color changes

That's less than helpful.

Also, I've got a weird feeling that this is some kind of strange new spambot...

Tygore
12-06-2006, 11:31 AM
I noticed that it was its only post, and thought the same. I don't think it's a bot, though. Maybe some kid/former lurker doing a survey for class?

In the spirit of being serious: if you can even afford a PS3, you can afford a Wii and multiple games/accessories. I think that says it all right there.

AtmaWeapon
12-06-2006, 01:16 PM
Honestly the breakdown is much easier to read (and type) than previously mentioned.

Wii

Pros
Affordable Large production numbers means higher probability of finding a unit Unique controller with the potential for immersion like never before The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess Backwards compatibility and Virtual Console provide a large library of classic games

Cons
Wii is an incremental upgrade over the Gamecube and many next-gen titles may not make it onto the system Wiimote support will likely be gimmicky until the 3rd or 4th generation of games (DS had the same problem with the dual screen support) Nintendo apparently makes component cables out of diamonds and gold so only 10 get produced per month If you let go of your Wiimote while attempting to use it to slice through titanium ingots, the wrist strap may break and the Wiimote may hit your TV and break it.

Honestly I don't feel qualified to make the PS3 comments because I don't have one, don't desire one, and I have a severe bias against Sony so I'm just going to save face and leave it out. I do think it bears mentioning that it is very hard to make an objective comparison between the XBox 360 and the PS3 right now because the 360 developers have had time to grow accustomed to the machine and many PS3 games available are ports of their 360 versions.

Keep in mind Nintendo's aim is not to have you buy a Wii and nothing else; but they want people who have a 360 or PS3 to consider buying a Wii to go with them. If you are more interested in the types of games appearing on the 360 and PS3 by all means you should get one of those systems. At this point in time I'd recommend an XBox 360 over a PS3. There are 3 factors that lead to this suggestion: Cost Availability Sony's reputation for hardware quality in its first generations

MottZilla
12-06-2006, 02:26 PM
Wii
Good things about the Wii

1. The Wii is cheap * Relatively speaking. However you can get a 360 for not much more.
2. The new innovative motion-sensor controller offering a new way of playing in fps games and other games.
3. Wii has Zelda and Mario. That's obvious.
4. Realistic fps games. * FPS Controls vary from game to game. Graphics and phsyics are far from the current standard of realism.
5. Can download great old games through Virtual Console. Some great games, for a fee. And you do not own the games, you own a sort of license to use it on that particular Wii.
6. News channel and forecast channel. Omg, this is perfect incase you don't have a TV to watch the News on! Wait a minute...
7. TOUGH CONTROLLER. I've seen the vids showing people letting go of the Wiimotes due to the bad wrist strap, the controller smashed a TV, but the controller itself was OK. REMEMBER, DO NOT LET GO OF THE CONTROLLER. How is this a plus? The 360 controller is as "tough".
8. 2 USB ports in the console.
9. Small and stylish.
10. Wii Connect 24 (Keeps your Wii 24 hours in internet if you want to, so the console might download new content to your game even after the release date) Not sure how this is a plus at this point. It has bricked some Wiis though.
11. Can use GCN controllers and memory cards and play the games. Memory Cards work for GC games, not Wii games. GameCube controllers work only on some Wii games.
12. Wireless NDS connection. Again how is this a plus at this point? There's nothing to do with that.
Bad things about the Wii

1. W-e-a-k wrist strap (I STRONGLY recommend replacing it with a NDS wrist strap!.
2. No free internet play until second quarter of 2007 ( I think you can play with an internet connection, you'll just need one.).
3. No serial ports for something like GCN's Game Boy Player.

Playstation 3

Good things about the PlayStation 3

1. PS3 has superior hardware.
2. HDTV resolution avaible.
3. 4 USB ports.
4. Blu-ray disc drive.
5. Stylish.
6. Free internet play.
7. HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface)
8. 20GB/60GB Hard Disk Drive.
9. *Always On* * What the hell does this mean and how is it a plus?

10. WHAT THE F*CK!?!?!?! JUST READED FROM THE WEBSITE THAT THEY PULLED OUT A MOTION SENSOR CONTROLLER!?!?! DAMN YOU SONY STOP COPYING NINTENDO!
Dude, don't be a traitor. PS3 is a moron software which took everything from Nintendo. Get the Wii! * You're the moron, because PS3 is quite different than Nintendo Wii, and while the motion sensor is certainly a strange surprise, and now there's rumors of Sony patenting a Wiimote like controller, this sort of thing happens.

Bad things about PS3

1. It's daaaamn expensive. About 600$ for the 60GB system, and about 500$ for the 20GB system.
2. THEY TOOK THE MOTION SENSOR THING FROM NINTENDO!!! * How's this hurt the PS3 system? If anything it would help it.
3. The controller is same old sh*t. Isn't this the same thing above?

So buy the Wii. But if you don't want the Wii, buy an Xbox 360. * You didn't even mention the 360 till now, and didn't do any pros/cons for it. Fanboy/Sony hater alert.

Playstation copies Nintendo. Don't buy it, you would just be helping... All industrys in some way copy or mimic eathother. This is just a personal grudge of yours fanboy.

The enemy.

The system you should buy is quite easy to figure out. Which console has the most games you want to play and/or the ones you want to play most. It's that simple. Don't do all these retarded pros and cons which do have their place, but when you decide what system to get, you decide based on what you can do with it now, and maybe in the future.

ELMIND
12-06-2006, 02:57 PM
WII or Play Station 2. Play Station 3 may fail and Xbox sucks (except for Halo, which looks great! :D ).

Imprisoned
12-06-2006, 03:29 PM
Im looking into getting a new games console ive read good reviews on both the Nintendo wii and the PS3 but cant afford both so which should i get and why?

He was talking about the Wii and PS3. He didn't talk of Xbox 360 so why should we put in the +'s and -'s of it?

And I'm not a spambot.

Beldaran
12-06-2006, 03:57 PM
you should buy a Sega Genesis because what Sega does, Nintendon't.

MottZilla
12-06-2006, 04:18 PM
you should buy a Sega Genesis because what Sega does, Nintendon't.

Oh the great early 90s advertising! Don't forget the BLAST PROCESSING! It'll BLAST your PS3's Cell processor into orbit!

Kairyu
12-06-2006, 05:07 PM
And I'm not a spambot.
I was reffering to the original poster with that comment.

What exactly IS blast processing, anyway?

Warlock
12-06-2006, 05:12 PM
What exactly IS blast processing, anyway?

Bomberman's CPU?

Shoelace
12-06-2006, 05:22 PM
The Wii is great. I recommend that. Just don't let your friends throw your Wiimote like mine did.

Saffith
12-06-2006, 05:36 PM
What exactly IS blast processing, anyway?Nothing too fancy, really. The Genesis processor could modify a different area of the map than was currently being displayed, so it could scroll farther between frames. That's pretty much it.

MottZilla
12-07-2006, 09:32 PM
Nothing too fancy, really. The Genesis processor could modify a different area of the map than was currently being displayed, so it could scroll farther between frames. That's pretty much it.

No, Blast Processing what PR/Hype/Bullshit. The Genesis processor was a standard 68k, far superior to the NES. So by comparison, the Genesis CPU vs. NES cpu, the NES is blasted away. The SNES as well was not near as fast as the 68k.

As far as modifying map area, indeed the Genesis unlike the NES was capable of updating many more background tiles in less time than the NES, but that's to be expected.