PDA

View Full Version : PlayMidi()

beefster09
12-05-2006, 06:56 PM
We have PlaySound(), Why not PlayMidi()! You could make a normal enemy battle midi get louder as you approach it like in OoT, MM, WW, and TP.

eXodus
12-09-2006, 11:41 PM
And a very useful function that would be for both MIDI and Enhanced music, but making it louder as you get closer would be a bit different than just changing the ID. You would need to either change the Volume and/or Tempo attributes of the current music or seamlessly change to an almost identical piece starting at the same position (like the Water levels in Super Mario 64). I personally want to be able to read the current position and change the Loop Start/End so that a music piece only switches at appropriate points.

Of course, none of this will be possible until new commands are added to ZASM for it. Maybe they could hook into the Allegro functions they're already using for the MIDIs on the fly? A simple PlayMidi()/PlayMusic() would certainly be easier though, as they're already doing it on a screen-by-screen basis...

Stungun
01-04-2007, 02:09 AM
If a person got customizable sound start locations, that would be awesome. That's a function I can't even emulate in Game Maker, for crying out loud. Seriously. This is one of the best ideas I've heard in ZC in like... well, anytime I can remember.