PDA

View Full Version : Upthrust/Downthrust

ShadowTiger
12-05-2006, 11:49 AM
A pipe dream suggestion, I know, but ... ... eh, let's face it. I'm a Smash Bros Whore.

Now that we have the Roc's Feather implemented, would it be unsensible to see a TMC Style Downthrust? I think it was TMC, really. He jumps into the air somehow, and when he uses his sword, (Again, I think.) he basically does a mid-air pause, rotation, and slams the ground with his sword. Pretty awesome attack.

In Gravity mode, this would equate to the AoL style upthrust and downthrust; hold Up and Attack while jumping and his sword remains above him as he jumps, and hold Down and A while jumping and his sword is held below him as he jumps, AND, if his sword makes contact with an enemy, he sort of "bounces" a bit, enabling him to do another downstab in succession.

This is my own personal dream, much like how everyone was constantly wishing for the Roc's Feather in the recent past. Couldn't hurt to get a discussion rolling though.

*b*
12-05-2006, 12:29 PM
Now that we have the Roc's Feather implemented, would it be unsensible to see a TMC Style Downthrust? I think it was TMC, really. He jumps into the air somehow, and when he uses his sword, (Again, I think.) he basically does a mid-air pause, rotation, and slams the ground with his sword. Pretty awesome attack.
That WAS Minish Cap, however Link didn't spin. He did, however, have the attack animation for each direction he faced, which was quite suprising

Just remember, though. Currently, the sword appears UNDER Link, so that would have to be changed (please) before the forward/left/right facing down thrusts could be implimented

Still, cool idea

Nimono
12-05-2006, 12:30 PM
O_o I never thought that YOU would be suggesting this. Anyways, in TMC, Link simply paused, pulled his sword up closer to his face, then slammed it down into the ground. What can I say? Besides the Great Spin Attack, that was my favorite Sword ability in TMC. And yeah, you had to press the Sword button while at the peak of your jump in order to do a Downthrust (I think it was called the Jump Thrust in TMC. I'm now sure.). I like your idea, though. *waits for _L_ to come and explain why it can't be done* :laughing:

ShadowTiger
12-05-2006, 12:41 PM
Heh.

Honestly, I never really used the spin attack. I probably should have, but I found it a bit ... ... errr... vulnerability-creating. (Word or not, I'm a'sayin it!) I preferred the downthrust for pretty much the same reason you use the downthrust in SSB/M. It's a space-generator. :shrug: It's a powerful slam onto the ground directly beneath you, and things -will- be blown out of your way! :p

Hell, I'm not asking for a huge, long-winded hack of a downthrust like TMC's. Just a simple little "If you hold your sword down while landing on an enemy, you'll bounce up a little with your sword still held down beneath you, and you can repeat the downstab on another enemy if you land." That sort of thing. :-/

C-Dawg
12-05-2006, 01:14 PM
The nice thing about scripting is the developers can now advise you to code this yourself.

Radien ZC
12-07-2006, 08:45 PM
That's a good idea, although it's another feature that I insist should wait until AFTER VERSION 2.5. Sorry, I think bug-smashing is much more needed right now.

Upward thrust won't be very useful until they finish coding the Z-axis into all jumping/flying sprites. Right now, there is virtually nothing that is out of Link's reach from above (except for enemies that still ignore gravity). Also, all overhead and 3D Zelda games so far have left out upward thrust. You'll only see it in Zelda 2, Smash Bros., and Soul Calibur 2.

Personally, I rarely used jump thrust in MC. Spin attack was decent, but GREAT spin attack was where it was at. It has very little vulnerability once it is charged up.

The nice thing about scripting is the developers can now advise you to code this yourself.
True, but they could also tell you to write the whole program yourself. Doesn't mean it'd be a very nice thing to say... Unless the suggestion is outlandish and un-zelda-like, and I don't think this one is.