PDA

View Full Version : How about a Wall Kick?

Master_of_Power
12-04-2006, 07:04 AM
Sure! Why not! To substitute for Link's low jumping height(even though I don't know many people who can jump their size in height) why not have an ability to learn how to do the wall jump?

Imprisoned
12-04-2006, 09:39 AM
That's a good idea, even better if it would be usable only in sidescrolling mode. But first Link should get the Scroll: Wall Jump.

This could be very useful in Mario games since Mario knows wall jump in 3D Marios.

I say dump it in.

Dart Zaidyer
12-04-2006, 09:48 AM
Actually, Link is already able to jump way too far compared to all games where he can use the Roc's Feather. (well, besides Four Swords Adventures.)

ShadowTiger
12-04-2006, 09:50 AM
Horizontally, but not necessarily vertically. IMHO, a wall kick would be a wonderful thing to see.

Think SSBM: Young Link's Target Test.

_L_
12-04-2006, 10:36 AM
Actually, Link is already able to jump way too far compared to all games where he can use the Roc's Feather. (well, besides Four Swords Adventures.)

This is a symptom of the fact that Link's walking speed in Zelda 1 is faster than his walking speed in any other game ('sides Zelda 2). To simulate the Game Boy Feather's jump length as well as jump height would require noticably slowing down Link.

Dart Zaidyer
12-04-2006, 11:50 AM
Well, he's not jumping in a perfect arc either, which is part of the problem. ZC's current Roc's Feather actually hovers Link in mid-air at the peak of his jump for several frames. (And this is without the hover boots!) I think Saffith's script is actually better in this regard, because it works in a more believable arc.

Radien ZC
12-07-2006, 08:49 PM
Wall kicks are unnecessary until sidescrolling gravity behaves in a more advanced manner, such that it can compare with a simple Mario Bros. engine.

Not to say that it isn't being done well... it's just that right now it is more of a novelty thing, like the side-scrolling areas in Link's Awakening, that this mode is based on.