PDA

View Full Version : Make the Z-axis partially dependent on the Y-axis

beefster09
12-03-2006, 08:24 PM
Yeah, Layer 3 and 5 need to be a layer that depends on its combo position. This is really important so that jumping to the south of a tree won't look weird, but then he can't walk on top of the tree.

Or you could just simply put Link on a higher layer, like Layer 5, when he jumps.

ShadowTiger
12-03-2006, 09:08 PM
... ... ... You know, ... thinking about this as a topic in ZC is making my head hurt. XD (That's probably me banging my head against the keyboard thinking of potential solutions to this problem, but either way, ShadowTiger has earned a tylenol. :sweat: :rolleyes: )

I'm almost inclined to suggest a combo type which is similar to the Overhead type, but has different approachability venues, and each would assume a different walkability hindrance. For example, if you were to walk into this combo from the north, the game would expect you to not be able to walk to the south, but would keep you under the layer as if that layer were on layer 6. However, were you to go up to the combo from the south, you'd appear above it as if it were on layer 1. (Possibly 2, ... or better yet, 1.5, taking weapons and such into consideration.)

Suppose you had a 2x2 tree. The entire lower half of this tree is fully unwalkable. That's two 16x16 pixel tiles which are entirely unwalkable. It's a hookshot-grab combo. (Just for completion's sake.) The upper two combos of the tree are Overhead [2] type combos, and are walkable. (Not that it'd make a difference, as walkability doesn't matter on layers 3, 4, 5, and 6.)

When you approach this tree from the north, you'd walk behind the layer as if the upper half of the tree is on layer 6, and if you jump, you'd appear underneath the treetop as if it was blocking your view of Link jumping. However, when you walk around the tree to the middle of the stump and jump, you'd appear over the treetop because you entered the scope of the combo from the south side.

The thing is, it'd be up to the quest designer to ensure that the player can't milk this for graphical inconsistencies. You'd have to REALLY ensure that there are unwalkabilities associated with these combos wherever they're placed so the player can't mess up around them and complain that it's a bug when Link starts defying the laws of reality.

beefster09
01-13-2007, 09:20 PM
I know it's been over a month now, (since I didn't have a GBA or a DS then cause it was lent away :() but I noticed that in Minish Cap, Link just appears in front of the tree. So I say just use the Link-on-layer-3.5 idea.