PDA

View Full Version : Extended Jump Animations

*b*
12-03-2006, 07:22 AM
First off, in all the 2D Zeldas (except Four Swords), Link spins from start to finish, with at least four frames of animation

Second, the first spin, then going back to a standing position as he falls is a good idea, but a horrid way to execute it for all quests. I propose a 3-frame ascention animation, a two-frame apex animation, and a three-frame falling animation. Enabled by quest rules, of course

My first suggestion is seperate from the second, as the four frames would just loop like they do in the GB Zeldas. The second would allow Link to have shadow pixels in his main sprite, which with the current setup, looks tackey

Nimono
12-03-2006, 11:07 AM
First off, the GB Zeldas have Link spinning for THREE frames. I know this because I took screenshots of LA where Link is jumping so I could put them in Realm of Mirrors (though afterwards I found that you already had all the tiles in that tilesheet you gave. XD I thought up-jumping used different tiles in LA than down-jumping.). I got 3 frames exactly. Second, I consider the disturbing animation freeze when falling farther than you would fall with a normal jump a BUG. Link SHOULD continue animating while falling, but it seems the Roc's Feather makes Link return to his normal standing frame when he lands on a solid combo, and it tells the game to stop animating Link when he falls to a certain height from where he jumped. That's just not right. Third, what's your second idea supposed to do? I'm having a hard time picturing it in my head...

_L_
12-03-2006, 11:34 AM
The second would allow Link to have shadow pixels in his main sprite, which with the current setup, looks tackey

I'll think about making that a quest rule.

*b*
12-03-2006, 04:53 PM
First off, the GB Zeldas have Link spinning for THREE frames. I know this because I took screenshots of LA where Link is jumping so I could put them in Realm of Mirrors (though afterwards I found that you already had all the tiles in that tilesheet you gave. XD I thought up-jumping used different tiles in LA than down-jumping.). I got 3 frames exactly.
Ah, I never really counted before. Just played LA, and you're right. Still, it's a lot slower animation over a lower jump. If the current height is kept, it should animate with more frames. Minish Cap, though, I know has more than three frames

Third, what's your second idea supposed to do? I'm having a hard time picturing it in my head...

The best example of this would be MegaMan. I've got a sprite sheet of MegaMan Extreme, for the GBC. There's sprites for his jump as he's going upward, sprites as he reaches the hight of his jump, then another sprite as he's falling... get it?

Nimono
12-03-2006, 06:06 PM
The best example of this would be MegaMan. I've got a sprite sheet of MegaMan Extreme, for the GBC. There's sprites for his jump as he's going upward, sprites as he reaches the hight of his jump, then another sprite as he's falling... get it?

Not really. I've never played that game. There's a lot of GBA and GBC games I've missed out on. And don't get me started on SNES, either- There's over 100 games I have never played on the SNES. So... Care to show me the spritesheet? It'd help. ;)