PDA

View Full Version : Most Overhyped Game Systems

Warlock
12-02-2006, 09:23 PM
http://www.giantmag.com/2006/11/games/most-overhyped-game-systems-of-all-time/

They left off Jaguar.. that thing was hyped to hell. And probably TGFX16 as well.

However, I thought the comments about Gunpei Yokoi were a bit uncalled for. The guy had one mistake (Virtual Boy) next to inventing Game & Watch, Gameboy, and the Kid Icarus and Metroid franchises. On top of that, the poor guy died in a tragic car accident, which they made fun of: "[Virtual Boy] died a quick death—as for its creator, Gunpei Yokoi, not quick enough."

Kairyu
12-02-2006, 09:50 PM
I can sum this up in one word. However, I can't actually use that word on these forums. Oh well.

Jigglysaint
12-02-2006, 10:02 PM
I can sum this up in one word. However, I can't actually use that word on these forums. Oh well.

Last time I checked, this place didn't have a swear filter.

AtmaWeapon
12-03-2006, 01:31 AM
Didn't see NGage or the Phantom on the list so it is hardly exhaustive (actually missing those two brings to mind the word "rushed"). At least they apologized for the Gunpei Yokoi jokes at the end.

Pineconn
12-03-2006, 01:53 AM
Heh, I don't think the author intended on apologizing after that insult. It looks like the commenters were so disgusted that he added that just to avoid getting flamed more. :p

I'm actually fairly surprised the GameCube didn't make the list. Though I'm very happy with the system, apparently some people view it as a failure. I sure as heck don't; I've never had problems with it (minus Mario Party 7 crashes randomly, but the disc is scratched - I bought it used).

vegeta1215
12-03-2006, 02:04 AM
I'm actually fairly surprised the GameCube didn't make the list. Though I'm very happy with the system, apparently some people view it as a failure. I sure as heck don't; I've never had problems with it (minus Mario Party 7 crashes randomly, but the disc is scratched - I bought it used).

Sure, Gamecube has not done as well as Nintendo would have hoped, but I don't think Gamecube was over-hyped (which is what the list is about). Now if Wii flopped, I think it would be a good candidate for that list, cause Wii has been hyped up quite a bit.

Warlock
12-03-2006, 02:33 AM
Sure, Gamecube has not done as well as Nintendo would have hoped, but I don't think Gamecube was over-hyped (which is what the list is about). Now if Wii flopped, I think it would be a good candidate for that list, cause Wii has been hyped up quite a bit.

Except it'd take quite a massive hit for it to flop - right now it's doing WAY better than GC ever thought of doing.

mrz84
12-03-2006, 12:01 PM
Dissing someone who's died is something you really shouldn't do. The guy behind this list should have his pc shoved where the sun don't shine..... but that's just my humble opinion.
anyways, to get back on topic, that list is pretty accurate. I agree with most of it.

MottZilla
12-03-2006, 02:48 PM
You both should have read to the bottom of the page. They said:

(P.S., just kidding about Yokoi, obviously. The man was a genius, just for the Game & Watch series alone—he just had no business trying to sell us a $180 pair of virtual ski goggles.)

Warlock, don't talk ill of TG16 either. Believe it or not, the TG16 was rather successful, esspecially in Japan. I also disagree with the Sega Saturn hack in their article. Oh well.

Kairyu
12-03-2006, 04:42 PM
I did read it, I just didn't think it was a good reason to ignore the stupidity of the article. Even if he hadn't made the comment about Yokoi, the article was still pretty bad. PSP over N-Gage? Wha?

MottZilla
12-03-2006, 04:46 PM
I don't think anyone agrees it was a good article. There have been many horrible systems that were hyped as hell but sucked. Things like Sega Saturn, are not part of that group.

Warlock
12-03-2006, 10:30 PM
Yeah I read the bottom. It was a half-assed attempt to apologize for a comment that should never have been made in the first place. Like Pineconn said, it almost looks like it was thrown in after the fact because the guy got so much hate mail.

MottZilla
12-03-2006, 10:45 PM
I could see that. If that was the fact then they deserved it. For the obvious reason, thats just not right. And also, the Virtual Boy was not a bad system, it just was poorly handled. Now its actually quite a collector's item.

Grasshopper
12-04-2006, 02:37 AM
I have a Virtual Boy and wouldn't sell it for any amount of money. I ended up with 6 games in a years time, and I actually found all of them rather fun. They claim it isn't portable, but the system did run off of batteries, (or optional AC Adaptor) and quite a bit at that.

mrz84
12-04-2006, 07:59 PM
I only wanted the VB for the only game that looked worth playing, the Wario game it had. Never bought it though because at the time I was in Middle School and therefore completely dependent upon my parents for my cash needs...needless to say, they didn't wann shell out for ANOTHER game system (I had both a nes and snes at the time). Still, I must agree with Warlock on this. Wheither he apologized or not, he still shouldn't have made a remark like that.....