PDA

View Full Version : Make Slash a Tiger Scroll

Master_of_Power
12-01-2006, 08:06 AM
Even though the room type does suffice, Slash should be a tiger scroll, like its spin attack brothers.

_L_
12-01-2006, 11:20 AM
No; Slash is too basic a sword technique (if I can even call it that) to merit an entire item class.

ShadowTiger
12-01-2006, 11:32 AM
Then how does a room type teach it to you, but you can't learn to just spin around really fast while holding your sword out? :odd:

I can use chop sticks to push food into my mouth, but I can also learn to use chopsticks the natural way; the way they were designed to be used.

If it was an Item as well, you could potentially have it used as a "Toggle Item," much like how there's a quest rule AND a screen flag for toggling diving. Just, instead of it being a Quest rule and Screen flag, it'd be a Disable Item via Dmap editor entity, and the actual item in your inventory.

_L_
12-01-2006, 11:40 AM
Then how does a room type teach it to you, but you can't learn to just spin around really fast while holding your sword out?Hey, if I'd been a developer back in ought-five, I'd have made Slash a quest rule and forgone this "learning how to slash" preposterousness altogether.

The Spin Attack, meanwhile, is all about focusing the chi or whatever into the blade for a double damage spin.

Radien ZC
12-01-2006, 05:20 PM
Hey, if I'd been a developer back in ought-five, I'd have made Slash a quest rule and forgone this "learning how to slash" preposterousness altogether.

The Spin Attack, meanwhile, is all about focusing the chi or whatever into the blade for a double damage spin.
I have to say I agree. Having the ability to learn seems like basic courtesy, but the problem is that even good quest designers seemed to think that having the *ability* to teach mid-game meant that it was the *proper* way to give it out.

This is why I have the Slash init data checked by default in all of my tilesets, even in the ones which come with mostly unaltered versions of the 1st and 2nd Quests.

That said, a Tiger Scroll would have made more sense than a "learn" room... but as it stands I'd rather keep it as-is.