PDA

View Full Version : Is ZScript easier to use/learn than Zasm?

Nimono
11-30-2006, 04:41 PM
Yeeah... I've been meaning to try to get into scripting, but every time I want to, I just keep thinking of the many commands I could use and get discouraged, to say the least. O_o I want to be able to script, but I need to know which of the 2 scripting forms is the easiest to learn and/or use. Thanks in advance.

Saffith
11-30-2006, 06:43 PM
ZScript, definitely. It's significantly easier for all but the most trivial scripts.

Nimono
11-30-2006, 07:05 PM
ZScript, definitely. It's significantly easier for all but the most trivial scripts.

Thanks for the (not-so-quick) reply. :) Say, is the top sticky in this forum a list of the variables that ZScript can use? If not, can I have a list of them (preferrably in a .txt file or in another thread. :laughing: ) please?

Saffith
11-30-2006, 07:21 PM
Yes, all the stuff in that post is for ZScript. I don't know whether it's complete and entirely accurate, but it should be.

Nimono
11-30-2006, 07:30 PM
Yes, all the stuff in that post is for ZScript. I don't know whether it's complete and entirely accurate, but it should be.

Good. I learned something new in ZQuest, too, just by reading that post part of the way! :laughing: XD So... TIME TO CHECK OUT THIS F1 THING IN THE COMPILER.

DarkDragon
12-01-2006, 10:59 AM

They're not very useful unless they're accurate; please edit those posts or notify me if they're not.

ShadowTiger
12-01-2006, 11:28 AM
Y'know, oddly enough, I actually prefer Zasm. If you've ever used ZZT or MegaZeux, you'll practically already know Zasm. :p If you've never coded in C, you'll be attracted to Zasm. I know I sure am.

IMHO, it's always been a bit awkward how those who already know C think that ZScript is easy. Frankly, I'm still hoping for more (and more detailed) replies from This Thread (http://www.armageddongames.net/showthread.php?t=94699). I still really do think that ZScript is best learned from a n00b who just learned how to use it, because they're the most likely to be able to identify with those who still need to learn it, and know where all the intricacies lie that those already skilled in C take for granted. It's like having to learn English for the first time, and explaining the alphabet in English. It can indeed be frustrating for those new to it. :p

DarkDragon
12-01-2006, 11:36 AM
Didn't eXodus answer your questions? If there's something that's specifically still confusing you, ask and I'll be happy to help.