Next Gen Console survey! (please reply asap) [Archive] - Armageddon Games Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Next Gen Console survey! (please reply asap)

Aegix Drakan
11-30-2006, 03:28 PM
For a final project in consumer behavious class, my group is giong to analyse the three next gen consoles.

Part of the project involves interviewing people about the three consoles.
Therefore, I decided to survey peole from my favourite online hangout, AGN.

Just copy-paste the questions into your post, and give your answer.

OK, here are the questions:

1. Are you Male or Female?

2. At what age did you start playing Video games? And what age are you now?

3. What role does gaming fill in your life? How much time on average do you play each day?

4. Did you buy/considered buying a seventh (next) generation console? When did you buy it, and which one.

5. What pre-conceptions did you have about the three consoles before buying the console?

6. How did get information about the consoles? (internet, magazines, advertising, friends, word of mouth)

7. Do any of the recent ads for the consoles really stick out in your mind?

8. What factors attracted you to the console you bought? Rate them from 1 to 10: 1 being the lowest.

a. Variety/types of games____
b. Cost/value____
c. Learning factor (pick up and play) ____
d. Control setup____
e. Life expectancy of console____
f. Processing power____
g. Durability____
h. Extra features____
i. Popularity/ peer Opinion____

9. How does the Console you bought reflect your personality?

10. For EACH of the new consoles, at what point are you at?

I’ve never heard of it
I’ve heard about it
I know about it, and I don’t want one right now
I don’t have one, but I like it.
I don’t have one, but I’d prefer it over the others
I WANT ONE!
I got one
I have more than one!

11. Did you feel pressured into buying a particular system because your friends got that one? Did you feel like you had to buy one the moment it was released?

12. Do you share your console with other members of your family? Who had the most influence in the purchase decision, and who paid for it?

Thank you very much for doing this survey!

gdorf
11-30-2006, 03:40 PM
Male

3-4, 19

3. What role does gaming fill in your life? How much time on average do you play each day?
Very Small. usually zero hours a day, but every once in awhile I'll binge and finish a game in a week or two.

4. Did you buy/considered buying a seventh (next) generation console? When did you buy it, and which one.
Not Yet

5. What pre-conceptions did you have about the three consoles before buying the console?

6. How did get information about the consoles? (internet, magazines, advertising, friends, word of mouth)
Internet

The Sony ads are the only ones I actually remember seeing, so they must be the most effective.

8. What factors attracted you to the console you bought? Rate them from 1 to 10: 1 being the lowest.

a. Variety/types of games____ 10
b. Cost/value____ 8
c. Learning factor (pick up and play) ____ 2
d. Control setup____ 5
e. Life expectancy of console____ 6
f. Processing power____ 6
g. Durability____ 6
h. Extra features____ 3
i. Popularity/ peer Opinion____ 5

10. For the new consoles, at what point are you at?

I’ve never heard of it
I’ve heard about it
I WANT ONE!
I got one
I have more than one!

11. Did you feel pressured into buying a particular system because your friends got that one? Did you feel like you had to buy one the moment it was released?
No

12. Do you share your console with other members of your family? Who had the most influence in the purchase decision, and who paid for it?
I didn't buy one, but if I did it wouldn't be anyone elses business.

Yoshiman
11-30-2006, 04:34 PM
Male.

Around 2 or 3. I started with my uncle's old NES. I'm 17 now.

May possibly be a career path for me (focusing on the art side of things).
I usually only play for 1 or 2 hours, but on weekends, I may go up to 3.

I'm considering a Wii and an XBox 360.

Haven't bought one yet.

Mostly the internet, and a friend who owns an XBox 360.

None really stick out much.

a. Variety/types of games____ 10
b. Cost/value____9
c. Learning factor (pick up and play) ____3
d. Control setup____4
e. Life expectancy of console____7
f. Processing power____3
g. Durability____7
h. Extra features____2
i. Popularity/ peer Opinion____2

I play games for fun, not power, popularity, or preferred company.

I’ve never heard of it
I’ve heard about it
I don’t have one, but I'd like it.
I WANT ONE!
I got one
I have more than one!

No. If I was pressured by my peers into buying a game system, I'd either be playing Madden or be a Final Fantasy fanboy.
I don't like to get consoles at release, mainly because of poor launch titles, or buggy hardware.

I share my consoles with my two sisters, however I usually have the most influence on the purchase.
Most of the time, I recieve consoles as Christmas gifts, but I have bought a few of my own.

MottZilla
11-30-2006, 05:13 PM
Male

Started at 3 with Atari and NES. 20 now.

Huge role. Atleast 1 hour every day. Ussually more.

XBox 360, after E3 2006 which was in May.

Xbox 360 was on a level playing field with PS3. Wii is an overclocked GameCube with some nice changes.

Internet, Friends, Media

No.

a. Variety/types of games 8.5
b. Cost/value 7
c. Learning factor (pick up and play) 7
d. Control setup 7
e. Life expectancy of console 9 (if you mean generation life, not the actual hardware)
f. Processing power 9
g. Durability 3
h. Extra features 5
i. Popularity/ peer Opinion 5

Honestly I don't really put much thought into those numbers. I don't care much about the popular opinion of the consoles. Controls are fine, durability is fine though problem have happened. Eh.

I have no idea. It reflects my preference in new games. I like high end games.

PS3 - I know about it, and I don’t want one right now
Wii - I want one, but I'm in no hurry.
Xbox 360 - Got it, Love it.

No. No.

No.

Pineconn
11-30-2006, 05:53 PM

Male.

Wow, probably 4. And I'm 15.

Entertainment and fun. Each day? Probably 2 hours on average.

Considering a Wii, probably and hopefully within 6 months.

XBox and PS3 were too similar to their precedents, whereas the Wii is fresh and new.

The net and magazines.

I honestly don't remember any 360s, but I remember the PS3's completing the Rubik's (or is it just Rubik?) Cube. For the Wii - all of them.

a. Variety/types of games 5
b. Cost/value 9
c. Learning factor (pick up and play) Pfft, 3
d. Control setup 5
e. Life expectancy of console Never thought of it, so 1
f. Processing power 6
g. Durability 6
h. Extra features 8
i. Popularity/ peer Opinion 2

Reliable, I guess. :eyebrow:

I’ve never heard of it
I’ve heard about it - 360 & PS3
I WANT ONE! - Wii
I got one
I have more than one!

No to both.

Yes, n/a, sibling.

Hopefully you can read the red text. ;)

Modus Ponens
11-30-2006, 11:22 PM
Male

I started at like five or six, and I'm 24 now

Gaming is my hobby, if you can call it that. On average I play about three hours a day

I bought a Wii at something like 12:20 AM or so on November 19

I figured the Wii would be really cool, and that the PS3 would probably be rad albeit overpriced, and that the 360 would be very good too, but really the Wii has the whole wiimote thing, and all the Nintendo first-party software I want

Internet news delivered via friends and word of mouth. Also I watched a lot of the E3 stuff

I don't think I've seen any of them

a. Variety/types of games 8
b. Cost/value 7
c. Learning factor (pick up and play) 4
d. Control setup 9
e. Life expectancy of console 4
f. Processing power 3
g. Durability 2
h. Extra features 8
i. Popularity/ peer Opinion 5

I'd say that it's mostly that it's a good system for reasons other than sheer power and graphics quality, just as I am (presumably) a good guy for reasons other than physical strength and attractiveness

Wii: I got one
PS3: I don't have one, but I like it
XBox 360: I know about it, and I don't want one right now

I didn't feel pressured, but I did feel like I had do buy one the moment it was released (and in fact did just that)

I share my Wii with my roommate and our friends, and, sometimes when I visit, my family. I had the most influence in the purchase decision, and I paid for it

Matteo
12-01-2006, 01:29 AM
Male

5-6 with the NES, I'm 26 now.

3. What role does gaming fill in your life? How much time on average do you play each day? Gaming is something I do to relax after a long day. It also can be a bad distraction. I enjoy playing with other people, but it is hard with my schedule/lifestyle. That is why online gaming is important to someone like me. I can go for days without playing to playing 9 hours in a single day. The average would be around an hour I guess.

4. Did you buy/considered buying a seventh (next) generation console? When did you buy it, and which one. I bought an Xbox 360 in March, chiefly for Oblivion. I bought a Wii last week, mostly for Zelda, but also for Wii Sports.

XBox 360: Heard there was problems with it running/freezing. Heard there were too few good games. Thought Microsoft was the evil empire.
PS3: Overpriced. Terrible software launch lineup. Same awful control pad. Same crappy disc drive. Thought everyone who didn't know about Videogames would want one.
Wii: Thought VC was going to be online, thought VC was going to have better games. Didn't realize how accurate the motion sensors could be. (see Wii Sports Bowling). Thought too many people would dismiss it as "kiddie"

Internet, Magazines.

The Wii Commerical, "Wii Would Like to Play" is spectacular. Everyone I talk to about the Wii who doesn't know a thing about videogames mentions that commercial. They all remember it. It really draws people in and appeals to the non-hardcore gamer.
I think the XBox 360 commercial with all the little fragments that are games coming together to form an Xbox 360 is also ingenius. It shows how plentiful the software lineup for the 360 is. It might have too few good games, but its been around for a year and third party support is very very strong, and this commercial shows that.

a. Variety/Types of games ____10
b. Cost/value____2
c. Learning factor (pick up and play) ____2
d. Control setup____10
f. Processing power____1
g. Durability____7
h. Extra features____10
i. Popularity/ peer Opinion____1

The 360 reflects my desire to play sports games with friends or online and to play deep one player PC-type games. The Wii is about playing with my Wife, and feeling the awe of trying something truly new. The Wii is more about nostalgia and innovation, and sometimes I have more fun playing bowling with stick figures then playing next-gen madden. But my personality goes both ways, realism versus entertainment; simulation versus fantasy. I think they reflect the dual nature of my gaming tastes.

I’ve never heard of it
I’ve heard about it
I know about it, and I don’t want one right now PS3
I WANT ONE!
I got one Wii, Xbox 360
I have more than one!

11. Did you feel pressured into buying a particular system because your friends got that one? Did you feel like you had to buy one the moment it was released? No

My Wife and I make decisions and spend money together. She actually bought the XBox 360 for me as a surprise. She also helped me get a Wii by secretely ordering it off Ebay when I was not willing to pay extra for it. She loves to watch me play Zelda and will play Wii Sports occasionally. She also loves Oblivion and Dreamfall: The Longest Journey. There just aren't enough videogames for women. I really hope the Wii continues to try and innovate, because it will continue to attract casual games such as her.

goKi
12-01-2006, 03:04 AM
Male

A Commodore 64 when i was 5 years old, i'm now 20.

I used to spend about 4-5 hours a day playing, but that's been cut way back due to lack of interest in current games

I will be picking up my Wii on Wednesday for the Australian launch night.

That the PS3 would be grossly overpriced, and not do much more than it's predecessor.
Wii's controler will be a hell of a lot of fun to use.

Mainly internet and friends.

Nintendo's new Wii ad is fantastic.

a. Variety/types of games__10__
b. Cost/value__8__
c. Learning factor (pick up and play) __7__
d. Control setup_8___
e. Life expectancy of console_7___
f. Processing power__5__
g. Durability___6_
h. Extra features___10_
i. Popularity/ peer Opinion___6_

I guess i'm a bit of a Nintendo fanboy. heh.

I don’t have one, but I like it.: X-Box 360
I WANT ONE!: Wii
I know about it, and i'll never want one: Playstation 3

No. I'm not a sheep. All my friends are Playstation fanboys.

I paid for it in full, and yes, i do encourage gaming on my family.

Petoe
12-01-2006, 04:11 AM
- Male

- Started playing at 5.
- I am now 21.

- I don't play much anymore because I like to make my own games these days, but when I get Wii, I probably spend a few hours a day with it. So yeah, games are and have always been a big part of my life.

- I am considering a Wii and Wii only.

- XBox360 and PS3 were too similar to their precedents and to each other as well, whereas the Wii is something new, unique, and most importantly, FUN.

- The internet and a Gaming Event (an expo that was held here month ago).

- Not really. Haven't seen a very good console ad yet.

a. Variety/types of games____10
b. Cost/value____5
c. Learning factor (pick up and play) ____5
d. Control setup____9
f. Processing power____1
g. Durability____9
h. Extra features____5
i. Popularity/ peer Opinion____1

- That I like to be myself and don't give a damn about other's opinions (eg everybody i know hates Nintendo and thinks it is for kids, well I don't care, I don't want to be a casual guy who moves along the masses.)

I’ve never heard of it
I’ve heard about it
I know about it, and I don’t want one right now - Xbox360 and PS3
I WANT ONE! - Wii
I got one
I have more than one!

- Nope, never.

- I live by myself now, so all decisions and payments are made by me and I am not influenced by anyone.

*b*
12-01-2006, 05:38 AM
1. Are you Male or Female? [Male]

2. At what age did you start playing Video games? And what age are you now? [10-ish. 20 now]

3. What role does gaming fill in your life? How much time on average do you play each day? [A break from life, maybe 3-4 hours]

4. Did you buy/considered buying a seventh (next) generation console? When did you buy it, and which one. [September 22, a Wii]

5. What pre-conceptions did you have about the three consoles before buying the console? [X-Crate 360 is heavier, PS3 will fail, and Nintendo will finally take it's rightful place as the gaming masters with the Wii]

6. How did get information about the consoles? (internet, magazines, advertising, friends, word of mouth) [Internet mostly]

7. Do any of the recent ads for the consoles really stick out in your mind? [The stupid PS3 one with the plastic baby]

a. Variety/types of games 8
b. Cost/value 10
c. Learning factor (pick up and play) 9
d. Control setup 10
e. Life expectancy of console 10
f. Processing power 1
g. Durability 1
h. Extra features 5
i. Popularity/ peer Opinion 1

9. How does the Console you bought reflect your personality? [I dunno. I like to play with my Wii?]

I’ve never heard of it
I’ve heard about it - 360
I know about it, and I don’t want one right now - PS3
I WANT ONE!
I got one - Wii
I have more than one!

11. Did you feel pressured into buying a particular system because your friends got that one? Did you feel like you had to buy one the moment it was released? [No, and no, but I wanted to]

12. Do you share your console with other members of your family? Who had the most influence in the purchase decision, and who paid for it? [Fuck no, me, me]

Darth Marsden
12-01-2006, 07:57 AM
1. Are you Male or Female? Male.

2. At what age did you start playing Video games? And what age are you now? Oof, tough. ABout 10-ish years ago, I'd say. And I'm 22, though I don't feel it.

3. What role does gaming fill in your life? How much time on average do you play each day? Far more then it should. I can spend anything up to 10 hours a day on games, but that's mostly 'cause I've just become unemployed and become addicted to Xenogears recently.

4. Did you buy/considered buying a seventh (next) generation console? When did you buy it, and which one. I'll pick up a Wii sometime next year, when there are more games I'm interested in avaliable.

5. What pre-conceptions did you have about the three consoles before buying the console? PS3 - WAY too expensive. 360 - Not enough games. Wii - should've stuck with Revolution, since that's what it is.

6. How did get information about the consoles? (internet, magazines, advertising, friends, word of mouth) Internet, mostly.

7. Do any of the recent ads for the consoles really stick out in your mind? The recent Wii ads for Wii Sports are pretty damned impressive and make me want the damned thing even more.

a. Variety/types of games 10
b. Cost/value 7
c. Learning factor (pick up and play) 3
d. Control setup 1
e. Life expectancy of console 1
f. Processing power 1
g. Durability 1
h. Extra features 6
i. Popularity/ peer Opinion 1

9. How does the Console you bought reflect your personality? ...? That I'm a Single-Player gamer and I like platformers. I think.

I’ve heard about it - XBox 360
I know about it, and I don’t want one right now - PS3 (I'll probably get one years from now when it's really cheap and there's a bunch of games
I WANT ONE! - Wii

11. Did you feel pressured into buying a particular system because your friends got that one? Did you feel like you had to buy one the moment it was released? Nope. If I bought a console, it's 'cause I wanted it.

12. Do you share your console with other members of your family? Who had the most influence in the purchase decision, and who paid for it? We don't share consoles in our house - my sister has an old PS2, and I have everything else.

The_Amaster
12-01-2006, 10:11 AM
Male

10-ish, and I'm 15 3/4 now.

Well, I dont actually own any consoles, so my compters are my life. I spend around 3-4 hours a day fiddeling around on them.

Yes I've considered buying a Wii, and the only thing scaring me off a PS3 is the massive price-tag.

Wii: Innovative control, going to revolutionize the market.
360: Basicly an upgrade, nothing major.
PS3: Major graphics and speed upgrade.

Wii thru Nintendo Power, friends and internet forums.
360: One magazine, some internet forums and friends.
PS3: Internet and friends.

No, not really. I haven't even seen that many ads, but than again, I don't get cable...

a. Variety/types of games___10
b. Cost/value___8
c. Learning factor (pick up and play) ____4
d. Control setup____10
f. Processing power____4
g. Durability____7
h. Extra features____7
i. Popularity/ peer Opinion____8

If I would buy a Wii, it would reflect my desire to always be on top of the new thing, plus my long-time standing that video-games should be more active(Love DDR) Add that to the fact that Nintendo usually has the most games that are just plain new and fun, also a big point for me, and the Wii definatly merits some consideration.

360:I know about it, and I don't want one right now.
PS3:I don’t have one, but I like it.
Wii:I WANT ONE!

No, not really.

If I bought a console, it would be a Wii, and I would share to a certain extent. However, the fact that I would have most certainly payed for it with my own money would make me a bit...oh, whats the word...kinda a mix of protective and greedy. The most influence has to be a couple of my friends, who both own Wii's and agree that they are going to overhaul the market.

Imprisoned
12-01-2006, 11:34 AM
I don't know :rolleyes:
Male, of course! Did you really think I didn't know?

I started playing games when I was 4, when we bought a NES. Now I am 11 years old.

To be honest, I don't play much, but I'm making Link To Galea very much atm, about 2 hours a day, atleast. On weekends I might just make LTG 4 hours, without even noticing.:glare:

I haven't bought a next gen console, and I'm NEVER going to buy one.

My parents are getting me a Wii for Xmas :cool: So I don't have to pay. Kekekekekeke. Wii rocks.

First off I thought that all the consoles would be awesome. They all are, except PlayStation 3... great hard drives, HDTV, processors etc. it could make the best games ever, if the controller wouldn't be same old crap and if the games COULD REALLY USE THOSE ADDITIONS. But it has been told, that they can't.

Personally, I like the XBox 360 pretty much. The games are very good but the controller is again, pretty much same old.

Internet, Magazines, Friends, Word of Mouth

I have only seen one XBox 360 ad... there is no PS3 or Wii launched yet here in Finland, though Wii is coming on 8th of December...
And that ad was...
"Third generation gamÃ*ng is here. Buy it at TiLT game shop!"
:odd: And it had a picture of an Xbox 360. :odd:

a. Variety/types of games 10_
b. Cost/value_8_
c. Learning factor (pick up and play) _5_
d. Control setup_2_
e. Life expectancy of console_8_
f. Processing power_7_
g. Durability_7_
h. Extra features_0_ (Game consoles are made for gaming, not for watching DVDs etc. etc.)
i. Popularity/ peer Opinion_0_ (My classmates almost everyone bought an PS2, except 2 bought GCN and they're more satisfied to it :tongue: .)

It doesn't.

I’ve never heard of it
I’ve heard about it -Xbox 360
I don’t have one, but I like it. -Wii
I WANT ONE! -Wii
I got one
I have more than one!
I HATE IT! -PS3

No

I share all of my consoles with my brothers. I usually decided which consoles we are about to buy.

I bought GCN
Parents bought NES
Parents are gonna buy a Wii for us for Xmas :D

Aegix Drakan
12-02-2006, 04:32 PM
:)

Thank you everyone for all the information! Now the project can move forewards!

*gives everyone a green rep cookie*

Thanks again!

Modus Ponens
12-06-2006, 01:42 PM
I do hope that you'll share the results with us when the project is complete.