PDA

View Full Version : So we've got Sidescrolling mode. So...

ShadowTiger
11-30-2006, 12:35 PM
I was toying around with Sidescrolling mode, and I must say, I'm finding this ever so delightful. :D A few questions, comments, and observations.

1) In NeoFirst, _L_ fashioned a sidescrolling screen with a fire [1] shooter. The fire falls down from the shooter. Fire 2 from the similarly named Shooter Fire 2, however, does not fall down, and travels across the screen as a sword or magic would. I LOVE how the Fire falls. It's wonderful. I can't wait to make a dripping effect from a magma pipe or something. :D

2) Ladders. They don't seem to be of any effect, as they're completely walkable, just like the surrounding air. I find myself having to climb up a room by jumping on bricks and such. The hover boots help a lot, obviously, but you can't climb things with them either.

3) I noticed something a little bit odd with the hover boots while toying around with the prospect of an upwards/downwards conveyor. While trying to climb upwards on an upwards conveyor, the hover boots will hover a little bit as you rise the conveyor up, but will fall short of its peak if the conveyor is longer than two combos long, falling at just before you get to the top. If you jump just before you get onto the conveyor to ride it upwards, and get on the conveyor, you can make it to the top and get off on the platform to either side of the top of the conveyor. Naturally, I'm sure we're all really hoping for both working up/down ladders and a combo that makes you only face upwards, (Or perhaps works like the swimming combo attribute in that it puts you into climbing mode without the ability to use a weapon, .. though that's somewhat unlike the Gameboy games.)

4) While you're hovering, there's this static electricity effect on Link's lower half. Where are the tiles for those, exactly, and how do they animate? I don't see any tiles of them in the first few pages of the tiles page, and they're not near the hover boots themselves either. (In the tiles page.) Where do they come from?

5) I was trying to walk upwards off the screen to trigger a side warp, but was unable to do so, even while on an upwards conveyor.

6) Link bumps his head a lot while trying to climb the following formation. (B = Brick, - = Open space.)

B--
--B
B--
It's one of the reasons why we'd all love a ladder. :p

Nimono
11-30-2006, 01:22 PM
Naturally, I'm sure we're all really hoping for both working up/down ladders and a combo that makes you only face upwards,

6) Link bumps his head a lot while trying to climb the following formation. (B = Brick, - = Open space.)

B--
--B
B--
It's one of the reasons why we'd all love a ladder. :p

I made a suggestion about the ladders, but _L_ said he wanted to do something else. He said 'Have you tried Hover Boots + Conveyor Up?". That kinda steamed me. How is THAT supposed to help when the Hover Boots are WAY too powerful in non-sideview screens? He also wants to instead use the actual ladder item to go up. That's just not right. In short, I don't think _L_ is willing to make a ladder combo so we can go up. :uhoh: _L_ thinks that the Hover Boots and the Ladder are fine enough as it is, but they're not. :(

But I did like that sideview area, even if there was no way out. XD By the way, did you cheat for the Hover Boots? There weren't very many places I could get to in NeoFirst, so I never saw them (and I don't recall ever having them to start with). XD

mikepjr2
11-30-2006, 02:02 PM
I think maybe this should be posted in bugs.. i could be wrong.

But why make something like a side scrolling effect and not be able to walk up ladders?
That makes no sense.

ShadowTiger
11-30-2006, 02:36 PM
@ Pikaguy: Of course I cheated for the boots. :p If the quest was ever passworded, ... well, it shouldn't be. You can even set the cheat yourself if you want. Right now, the L4 cheat is simply 4.

I have indeed tried the hover boots and the conveyor up, but it functions as I described above in point #3.

But why make something like a side scrolling effect and not be able to walk up ladders?
That makes no sense.It just may make perfect sense, actually, ... or at least in terms of the game physics. (EDIT: I mean, it makes sense that it works the way it does now. A ladder combo or something is needed to remedy this.) Look at how it used to be without the gravity system. It was the normal top down gameplay, but with the illusion of 2D sidescroller'ness via the manipulation of the walkability. You still couldn't jump in the game. Not at all. Ever. ... unless you used special tricks, of course. You could move through the walkable space, but not the unwalkable space. Naturally. Thus, a ladder would be composed of fully walkable space, (Though a slow walk property may be applied, but that's optional.)

Now that walkability is no longer an issue, as all walkability ensures is that you can't fall through whatever surface is underneath you, nor pass through whatever solid blockade is to your left or right. "Up" is only a factor of gravity now. What's the difference between moving through walkable space with the effect of gravity on when you find a ladder that's just as walkable as the space around it? Not much. :p It's like walking through a field of purple air. Sure, it's purple, but it's also air. Big deal, y'know? :p

7) EDIT: ... I just thought of something. WATER! What sort of effects will jumping have on water? Will we float or sink in water? ... Hm..

mikepjr2
11-30-2006, 03:25 PM
Still makes no sense cause they are trying to give it a GB zelda feel, in which case they do need to make a special ladder combo or something, mario games have it so does GB zelda.. so something needs done, end of story.

Dark Entity
12-01-2006, 12:22 AM
7) EDIT: ... I just thought of something. WATER! What sort of effects will jumping have on water? Will we float or sink in water? ... Hm..

I was thinking about this. How will sidescroll swimming work? Will we get the full Link's Awakening treatment? (4 directional swimming) And will someone try to make a fishing game? :eek:

_L_
12-02-2006, 12:29 PM
I made a suggestion about the ladders, but _L_ said he wanted to do something else. He said 'Have you tried Hover Boots + Conveyor Up?".I reject your interpretation! I was merely referring to your statement that there was no way to move vertically upward in sideview without the Roc's Feather.

I apologise for not being clear.

Other ways to move vertically without jumping or ladders:
* Hookshot.
* Warp tiles.
* Scripted moving platform.
* Enemy attack knockback (note: not recommended.)

The truth is, I'm a bit reluctant to make new combo types at the moment because I'm afraid that it'd interfere with the Combo Type Editor which is apparantly being worked on.

Nimono
12-02-2006, 12:50 PM
I reject your interpretation! I was merely referring to your statement that there was no way to move vertically upward in sideview without the Roc's Feather.

I apologise for not being clear.

Other ways to move vertically without jumping or ladders:
* Hookshot.
* Warp tiles.
* Scripted moving platform.
* Enemy attack knockback (note: not recommended.)

The truth is, I'm a bit reluctant to make new combo types at the moment because I'm afraid that it'd interfere with the Combo Type Editor which is apparantly being worked on.

Oh. Sorry then. :( But... People are going to be mad when they find that you won't make just one little combo to allow them to go up in Sideview areas with a ladder. Or, you could just modify the "Slow Walk" combo to allow the player to walk up in sideview areas and rename it to "ladder", since you wlak slower on ladders. ;)