PDA

View Full Version : Link's Weapons and stuff appear on Link layer when jumping

Nimono
11-30-2006, 11:53 AM
Ever noticed how when you swing your sword in midair how you can't attack enemies or destroy bushes? Your sword could react to ground-bound enemies and objects in both LA and the Oracles games, but in ZC, the weapons that Link hold are placed above enemies and slashable objects when you use them. This means you can't attack ground-bound enemies or objects when you actually should be able to. So I say that there needs to be a new Quest Rule to make ALL of Link's weapons react to anything in front of Link. If Link is in midair and tries to attack an enemy and this rule is on, the enemy will take damage. If he slashes at a bush, it'll be cut. If he tries to attack a midair enemy with his sword, it'll take damage if Link is at the right height. Please do this. It annoys me so when my all-time favorite item doesn't work exactly like I remember it. :(

ShadowTiger
11-30-2006, 03:40 PM
I recall a few times in Link's Adventure Awakening where there was a pit combo, a pit combo, and a bush to my right, in that order. I'd jump the pit combo using the Roc's Cape, and slash, and the bush would disappear, allowing me to land safely on the other side.

With the current setup, you can't do such a thing at all. You'd just fall into the pit.

Nimono
11-30-2006, 03:55 PM
I recall a few times in Link's Adventure where there was a pit combo, a pit combo, and a bush to my right, in that order. I'd jump the pit combo using the Roc's Cape, and slash, and the bush would disappear, allowing me to land safely on the other side.

With the current setup, you can't do such a thing at all. You'd just fall into the pit.

Yeah, I remember that screen in Link's Awakening. Zelda.com even tells you how to get across it! :laughing: But yeah, it seems they're trying to add in features to help people to make their GB-styled quests, but with these inconsistencies, all hope FAILS. :(

The_Amaster
11-30-2006, 07:09 PM
Actually, at this point you wouldnt even fall into the pit, as we don't have pits yet.

Nimono
11-30-2006, 07:29 PM
Actually, at this point you wouldnt even fall into the pit, as we don't have pits yet.

Yes we do. DIRECT WARP COMBOS. THOSE are our pits, silly. :p Everyone knows that! ...Everyone except newbies... ;)

But, uh... _L_, what do you think? Care to allow some GB-Zelda consistencies?

Radien ZC
11-30-2006, 11:12 PM
Tiles that do damage and warp you back to the nearest solid ground if you fall in them... I think what you're thinking of are "holes," Amaster. Or at least, that's what they'd probably call them if they implemented them. Because as Pikaguy pointed out, "Pit" was the old name for direct warps.

I think the programmers did what they did for realism. Bushes don't float, so logically it doesn't make much sense to slash them while you're in the air.

It was a quirk (not quite a bug) in the GB Zelda games, but when Nintendo gives hints, they usually roll with the punches and are more than happy to tell about cheap exploitables in 1-player games. ;)

_L_
12-01-2006, 11:36 AM
But, uh... _L_, what do you think? Care to allow some GB-Zelda consistencies?

There is exactly one GB-Zelda consistency already present: enemies are only considered to be one pixel high on the Z axis, meaning that you'll nearly always avoid damage when jumping over it. (The exceptions to this rule are Gleeoks and Manhandlas, which I specifically fixed so that they cannot be jumped.)

Bushes, on the other hand, are considered to be 8 pixels high, which I think is reasonable enough.