PDA

View Full Version : Come On Guys

Freedom
11-30-2006, 08:06 AM
I've spent the last two days with this new beta (b15) trying to get ANYTHING to work with nothing but piss poor results.

Can't seem to add the new items without replacing an item I have....

importing my subscreen from b12c to b15 corrupted it....

item falls from ceiling doesn't work... a simple screen flag.

All of my FFC's are trashed.....

Hell.... everything I've tried has turned into hours of trying to figure out how to get it to work, determine why it won't work..... AM I TO STOOPID OR DOESN'T IT WORK TO BEGIN WITH......

HOW the hell do you ever expect to have a STABLE release this century let alone by the end of the year, if you are going to keep throwing more crap in an engine that doesn't work now, and then not give anyone a clue how it's supposed to work, so they can test it and KNOW if it's a bug or their own lack of knowledge about how it's supposed to work?

Hell.... I can see I'm beating a dead horse.

mikepjr2
11-30-2006, 02:05 PM
I agree, i think maybe they have their work cut out for them.
Im hoping they can get all this stuff fixed soon.
This month is pretty much up as it is, ya know.

Dart Zaidyer
11-30-2006, 02:51 PM
Can't seem to add the new items without replacing an item I have....
You're doing it wrong. Please refer to this post (http://www.armageddongames.net/showpost.php?p=1102204&postcount=5) for details.

importing my subscreen from b12c to b15 corrupted it....
In case you haven't noticed, betas always come with a "use at your own risk" warning. The format may have changed.

item falls from ceiling doesn't work... a simple screen flag.
I seem to get consistent results with it.

All of my FFC's are trashed.....
Now, this I blame on removing the non-script-related portions of their functionality. Not exactly a smart move if an author who is violently allergic to the very idea of scripting wants to do something simple like moving objects.

Freedom
11-30-2006, 03:11 PM
You're doing it wrong. Please refer to this post (http://www.armageddongames.net/showpost.php?p=1102204&postcount=5) for details.

I have it set as position 15 and all those around it pointing to it, ain't that how it's done?

In case you haven't noticed, betas always come with a "use at your own risk" warning. The format may have changed.

That makes it all better

I seem to get consistent results with it.

If you look at the post I started in this forum, you'll see many others who don't

Now, this I blame on removing the non-script-related portions of their functionality. Not exactly a smart move if an author who is violently allergic to the very idea of scripting wants to do something simple like moving objects.

Then on that we agree.

It goes much deeper than the few examples I've given, those bugs aren't a drop in the bucket to what's in there, but the real problem is that they had a poll and it was overwhelming that people wanted a solid release before any new features, and that was totally ignored.
The fact is NEVER have the betas been as corrupt as they are right now, or at least not in the 4-5 years I've been dealing with it.
It's their program, and they can do what they like with it, but what they are doing is driving some of us away.

jman2050
11-30-2006, 03:17 PM
The FFC thing was a huge mistake. I persnally apologize for it, and should have checked it more thoroughly before I released the beta. *glares at _L_*

I do agree though, wehave our work cut out for us...

Radien ZC
11-30-2006, 05:45 PM
Wow. The betas really do hate Freedom's computer. I've had bugs, but nothing anywhere near what he's reporting. The worst I've encountered was the "ripping tiles from QST files" bug, which apparently was promptly fixed. Beta 15 has crashed once or twice so far, but that's the worst of it.

Personally, I'm lukewarm about scripting as a whole. I probably won't be using it much if at all. I think that learn to use it would probably distract me further from actually creating a quest.

Freedom
11-30-2006, 05:56 PM
I think there is a good chance that the item and play time clock are not working because I imported the subscreen from one I built in the b12c, but I would have thought going back and changing them would have fixed the problem, but it doesn't.
I have several hours in trying to get them to work, and I honestly believe it's not a problem with the way I'm doing things.
As for the item falling, I've tried that on several different screens and it just plain won't work period, I have NOT tried also checking the side scroll screen flag that others have, so maybe it would work for me like that, but I don't want the screen set for side scroll, so it would be pointless. ;)

Nimono
11-30-2006, 06:09 PM
I think it's your computer, Freedom. I just tested the Item falls from Ceiling flag on a normal screen in Realm of Mirrors. THE ITEM FELL PERFECTLY. And it doesn't make sense to me to not turn on Sideview Gravity to test something just because you "don't want that room set for side scroll". You can turn it off after you're done testing it, you know. I guess this whole fiasco has clouded your mind a bit, huh? :laughing:

Edit: Here's an idea. Why don't you try making an example quest that has the bug is and letting us check it out? We might be able to find out what your problem is. :)

Freedom
11-30-2006, 06:22 PM
And it doesn't make sense to me to not turn on Sideview Gravity to test something just because you "don't want that room set for side scroll". You can turn it off after you're done testing it,

It makes perfect sense, I haven't gone back and messed with it since that was mentioned on another thread, and even if I did go back and mess with it, it wouldn't matter because I can't use side scroll on those screens. ;)
The point is if the screen flag is checked and an item is selected then it should fall from the sky, and it's not.
If I place the positioning flag, it shows up there, if I don't place it, it shows up in the upper left corner of the screen.
Now since others are having this problem, then it's a bug, it maybe be a cross platform bug, maybe only happening in windows 98, or some other OS thing, but it's still a bug. ;)

Nimono
11-30-2006, 06:24 PM
I still don't understand, but I won't argue with you.

...But I still say its your OS. I run Windows XP (which most people seem to hate. O_o), so maybe I'm right, and maybe I'm wrong. We'll see soon enough, won't we? ;)

Freedom
11-30-2006, 06:31 PM
What's so hard to understand?
Let's say it does work with side scroll checked, then what good is that to me, since I have no interest in building side scroller screens.
Is that how it was intended to work?
with only side scroller screens?
If not, then it's a bug. ;)

Freedom
12-01-2006, 12:42 PM
ok here it is.

I apologize for my earlier rant.
When I first opened the b15 I was hammered with bugs and it made it seem that it was a whole lot worse then I believe it actually is.
I just played through two levels of my Robinhood quest and it went pretty well.
I'm not backtracking on the fact that I still believe a solid release is more important right now then more new features, and the bugs I mentioned above still do exist, but I still over reacted to the situation and I apologize to you developers for that.
You're doing great things, and I thank you all for that. ;)