PDA

View Full Version : Adding the new items?

Freedom
11-30-2006, 07:24 AM
I was having trouble getting the new items, like roc's feather, into my subscreen, so I downloaded the latest copy of Neofirst to see how the pros did it.....
I see the bait has been replaced with the lens and roc's feather is put in place of the lens.
So..... does this mean that at this time it's just not possible to add the new items, you can only replace older items with the new?

I put the quiver in some time back, and it works, but I don't seem to be having any luck with Roc's feather.

If it's possible, how about a run down on how new items, both selectable and non selectable are added, and what the "positions" are for selecting the items.

ShadowTiger
11-30-2006, 07:38 AM
I got the Roc's Feather to work just fine when I started a new (Blank) Classic Quest file just to see what's what, went into the subscreen editor, put the Roc's Feather underneath the Whistle as item #8, (The Wand is Item #7, as the boomerang is Item #0.) so under the Whistle, Item #4, the "down" position of the whistle is Item #8, and the down position of item #8 is item #0, and the up position of item #0 is #8. Seems to work just fine.

Freedom
11-30-2006, 07:42 AM
I got the Roc's Feather to work just fine when I started a new (Blank) Classic Quest file just to see what's what, went into the subscreen editor, put the Roc's Feather underneath the Whistle as item #8, (The Wand is Item #7, as the boomerang is Item #0.) so under the Whistle, Item #4, the "down" position of the whistle is Item #8, and the down position of item #8 is item #0, and the up position of item #0 is #8. Seems to work just fine.

In other words you did just what I said above, you replaced a current item with a new one.
I want it under the hookshot in a complete new row, not replacing any items I now have. ;)

On the left side I have the boomer, under that the whistle, and under that the hookshot.
I want the feather under the hookshot, in a new row.

ShadowTiger
11-30-2006, 12:23 PM
Well if you did what I did but yours doesn't work but mine does, ( ... O.o' ) would you like the quest file I made it work in?

Dart Zaidyer
11-30-2006, 12:45 PM
It's completely possible to make a brand new item slot and replace nothing, you just have to make sure that the item's "position" property is a unique number. Then, you adjust the adjacent items so that they will point to that number when the player hits the appropriate direction to select something else.

Freedom
11-30-2006, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the offer ShadowTiger, but it won't put it in my quest, which is what I was trying to do.
Works for some not for others, just like the item drop.
I got some good advice from DarkDragon, so I'm going to just let it go and retire from ZC.
The program is more confusing and more bug ridden at this point then it has ever been, and with lifes little pressures, I just don't have the patience right now to subject myself to it any longer, and complaining and critisizing, even though I'm right, is just serving to alienate me further from the community.
It's a no win situation.
Like I told him, it's hard to watch something you loved be destroyed, but there really isn't anything I can do about that is there.

EDIT TO ADD
I did that Dart, the number I added was 43, it kept changing it on it's own to 55.
43 would have made it the next higher number after my other items, and I checked all other additions on the subscreen and that number was free to use.
edit again...
The item number was 43, the position number was 15, just wanted to clear that up.
I also had the items next to it and above/below pointing correctly to it.

The_Amaster
12-01-2006, 09:56 AM
Y'now, ShadowTiger, I wouldn't mind that file. I'm having the same problem, if it's not to much trouble.

Freedom
12-01-2006, 10:11 AM
Y'now, ShadowTiger, I wouldn't mind that file. I'm having the same problem, if it's not to much trouble.

I think my problem was the result of importing the subscreen, after I went ahead and just bit the bullet and built a new one, all of the items went right in.

The_Amaster
12-01-2006, 10:25 AM
Okay, than I have one question: How do you delete subscreens?

Freedom
12-01-2006, 10:36 AM
Just open it and delete everything, including it's name. ;)

Imprisoned
12-01-2006, 11:38 AM
Personally I think we would need a guide for this...

The_Amaster
12-01-2006, 12:03 PM
Oy, yes we do. Now I have more probems. My selector won't move, and I get the feeling that it's related to the fact that I have no clue what the fields labeled "Up select, Down Select,etc" actually mean.

Freedom
12-01-2006, 12:59 PM
That's not too difficult
Right click on an item and look at properties, and note the top number.
Each item has it's own "position" number.
Start with the first in the upper left corner, the boomerang, it's "0" next to that is bombs, #1 etc.
Make your item selector refer to those numbers.
in boomerang properties then that would make the bombs right 1, and up would take it to the item on the lower left, and left would take it to the item to the far right, etc.