PDA

View Full Version : Variable Object Height

The_Amaster
11-29-2006, 11:29 PM
We need a way to set a combo's height as relates to Roc's Feather. That is, make bushes "short", so that they can be jumped over, but trees "tall", so they cant. This would also allow for the creation of pits/moats that you have to jump across.

_L_
11-30-2006, 04:16 AM
Well, you can't jump over bushes in any Zelda game that has jumping in it.

The_Amaster
11-30-2006, 08:04 AM
Well, maybe just a "Jumbable" property for pits than.

Dart Zaidyer
11-30-2006, 10:12 AM
Link has never been able to jump over solid tiles in any game with Roc items. Therefore, ZC is getting it right and there's really no reason to change that. (In fact, not realizing this general simplicity was probably a huge contributor to the "Roc's Feather Will Never Happen" thing.)

The_Amaster
11-30-2006, 07:07 PM
No, but Link was able to jump over pits in the floor, which was the idea behind my second suggestion, after I agreed with the "No jumping over solid items" thing. And juming over the pits was one of the main uses of the rocs feather.

Nimono
11-30-2006, 07:12 PM
No, but Link was able to jump over pits in the floor, which was the idea behind my second suggestion, after I agreed with the "No jumping over solid items" thing. And juming over the pits was one of the main uses of the rocs feather.

And pits are supposed to be WALKABLE, as when people think "pits", they think "direct warp combos that warp you to another room using the tile warp, which is usually a screen filled with damage combos and a timed warp that sends you back from the screen you were on last". I'm sure _L_ will fix the Roc's Feather soon to allow us to jump over Water combos and Ladder Only combos. But here's a good question- What happens if we try to jump over the water but instead land in it WITHOUT THE FLIPPERS? Since there's no drowning... Do we get stuck? :O

ShadowTiger
11-30-2006, 11:13 PM
Actually, there is one thing that has been on my mind.

Water.

Why is it that although Water is fully unwalkable, Saffith's script allowed you to jump into it and swim, but the Roc's Feather doesn't?

The_Amaster
12-01-2006, 08:29 AM
You know, I've tried that whole "Dark room with a timed warp and damage combos" and I can't get it to work. He just sits on a black screen with no damage and no warp. The addition of put tiles would solve both the need for pits and the water issue. You said it yourself Pikaguy, we don't have drowning. But drowning could just be a pit, only instead of falling animation, it could be drowning animation.

Master_of_Power
12-01-2006, 08:34 AM
Link has never been able to jump over solid tiles in any game with Roc items. Therefore, ZC is getting it right and there's really no reason to change that. (In fact, not realizing this general simplicity was probably a huge contributor to the "Roc's Feather Will Never Happen" thing.)

HOWEVER, There is no reason to debunk this suggestion because it is not normal in any other games. I feel that you should be aloud to jump over things, as most dungeon objects are about Link's size(blocks, statues, etc), he should be aloud to jump over them, as he does jump 1 and a half tiles high. We should have this implemented, for us who wish to break tradition.

:evil:

Linkus
12-01-2006, 09:12 PM
My solution for this problem? Just implement an adjustable "Z" variable into the combo editor with these values:

0-Normal--Link can jump over and on this combo. However, The walkability of these combos determines how and where he can jump on them or not.

1-Raised--Link can jump over the unwalkable part of this combo. If he lands on an unwalkable part, he simply jumps backward to his original place. As for water combos, I hope that "Drowning Link" becomes implemented soon--This way he won't get stuck if he doesn't have flippers.

2-Cliff--Link and the walking enemies(vire applies; he only makes small jumps) cannot jump on this combo, but jumping enemies can. As the name implies, it's mainly meant for cliffs and dungeon walls.
3-No Jump--Nothing can jump on or over this combo, except if it is overwritten by a FFC.(If this is implemented, the No Jump Zone combo property would be obsolete.)
4-No Fly--Nothing can fly or jump over this combo, unless overwritten by a FFC.(Same with No Jump Zone if implemented.)

That's my idea.

WindStrike
12-03-2006, 11:34 PM
Link has never been able to jump over solid tiles in any game with Roc items.
Actually, in OoS... if I recall correctly, you had to jump over certain little walls. In other words, you could jump over tiles that were half-unwalkable, except these:
xo
ox

Then again, it's been a while since I've played OoS, so I could be wrong.

_L_
12-04-2006, 12:24 AM
You're wrong. You must be thinking of cliff jumping.

Radien ZC
12-08-2006, 07:52 AM
There's a problem with jumping over solid combos that Link can't stand on. Namely, what happens when he lands *on* the combo?... It gets messy.

If you land on water, that's easy. If you have the flippers, you start swimming. If you don't, then you drown.

But what about landing on the statue? Since 2D Zelda topography has never TRULY had a Z-axis, it's not made to account for these issues. Even jumping from one level to a lower level is a different beast entirely.

Note: I am only talking about the logical course of events that the progammers could seek to program into ZC. I'm not talking about the actual logistics of programming it. Although, it IS true that putting Link into strange situations via an ill-conceived item is much more likely to result in glitches.

Why, take the Ladder, for instance! That item was ill-conceived, and it wasn't even a fan creation. :D