PDA

View Full Version : Link Tile Modification

Lotus_Eater
11-29-2006, 09:52 PM
Uhm, how do I use Link Tile Modification, I can't seem to find the feature anywhere?

Thanks,
Lotus

Woppodie
11-29-2006, 10:23 PM
You can find it editing items. Edit the value to the amount of tiles you want to offset.

Lotus_Eater
11-30-2006, 12:19 AM
Ok, found it, thanks.

Now here is my more complex question about it.

My quest features a Light and Dark world, I want my link to change GFX depending on the world he is in. So my idea is that Dark Link will have a specific item that causes the sprite and color change, that item is disabled in the Light world, will this actually work?

Woppodie
11-30-2006, 08:04 AM
As far as I know, yes. Provided he doesn't change GFX for anything else. If he does, it will still be doable, just more complicated.

Lotus_Eater
11-30-2006, 09:19 AM
Well the shield will change his graphics as well, so do the changes compound? So if the shield is -6 and then Dark world is -6 will his graphics be -6 in the light world, then -12 in the dark world?

C-Dawg
11-30-2006, 03:16 PM
Your plan is best implemented on the latest betas. ZC2.15 will, hopefully, fully enable you to add or remove an item from the player. And it has a whole series of "dummy" items, named Z124, Z245, etc.

All you need to do is run a really simple script that toggles whether Link has the item or not, and then set the offset of that item. Bingo bango, you've got different link tiles.

Now, if you want the change of appearance to actually change Link's functionality, too, you can do that by toggling OTHER items as well. BUt this gets complicated, as you'd need to "remember" the fact that Link had an item when he changed so he gets it back when he changes back.

And yes, offsets compound.

Nimono
11-30-2006, 04:19 PM
Link Tile Mods don't seem to add on to each other for me in 2.11 beta 15. At least, not with the shield. I mean, in a quest, to save me some trouble, I have the different Link tiles for the Shields all lined up in a row. I tell Shield 1 to add 2 to Link's tiles for Small Shield. If I put in 2 for Magic Shield, I get Small Shield Link instead of Magic Shield Link. I have to enter 4 to get correct Magic Shield Link Tile Mods and 6 for Mirror. :odd: Makes no sense to me. But actually, your plan won't work AT ALL. Sorry to break it to you, but currently, Link Tile Mods CAN NOT CHANGE LINK'S ATTACKING TILES! That'd mess up the look of your quest if you actually require a change in attacking sprites to make Link look right after the Link Tile Modification. O_o And as for your Light/Dark Link idea, use Misc. Items 1 and 2. Misc. 1 Should be placed on the EXACT SPOT in the Dark World where Link appears. It should modify him into Dark Link if you set up your Link Tile Mods. right. When going back to the Light World, place a "cutscene" where Link gets Misc. 2, which makes him Light Link again. If you do this all the time, you're going to waste ALL 255 MAPS AND DMAPS! A better way would be to see if you could make a script that a Freeform Combo runs that adds __ tiles to Link's current tiles (__ is the number of tiles you need to add to get the desired tiles). You'd need to make it run once every time to warp into the screen (not walk into it), but when you return to the Light world, make it SUBTRACT __ tiles from Link's tiles to return him to normal (__ is the same number of tiles as before). But that'd be tedious, so perhaps a global script that stores Link's current tile numbers used, and then another script that checks to see what tiles he's using. If it's equal to that number, add x tiles. For example:

Let's say Light Link's Up Walking tiles were at 1000, and Dark Link's Up Walking tiles were at 1003 (assuming that you were using BS Animation). Assume some script S1 that stores this value at some variable d0. Assume some script 2 in the Dark World that checks to see if d0 is equal to 1000. If it is, it adds 3 to Link's Up Walking tiles. Now let's assume some script S3 in the Light World that does the opposite of what some script S2 did in the Dark World. When you warp back to the Light World, some script S1 from before checks Link's tile numbers and stores them at some variable d0. S3 checks to see if d0 is equal to 1003. If it is, SUBTRACT 3 tiles from Link's tiles, thus turning him back into Light Link. Hard to do, but worthwhile. ;)

I have yet to use ZScript or ZASM, so I wouldn't know how to put that together. :shrug: But I sound like I know what I'm talking about. O_o Try this out if you wish.

Woppodie
11-30-2006, 07:19 PM
Link Tile Mods CAN NOT CHANGE LINK'S ATTACKING TILES! I think you have to check a rule. Something like Full Link Tile Mods or extended link tile mods or something like that. I checked it, and
Link's attacks changed for me.:shrug:

Lotus_Eater
11-30-2006, 07:22 PM
I'm just going to try it with some stuff and I'll gt back to you with the results, it may take a few days though.

Nimono
11-30-2006, 07:45 PM
I think you have to check a rule. Something like Full Link Tile Mods or extended link tile mods or something like that. I checked it, and
Link's attacks changed for me.:shrug:

:scared: But... The Developers said it was still broken... :confused:

Oh well. Link Tile Mods are confusing, so be careful when using them, okay?

C-Dawg
11-30-2006, 08:02 PM
I don't think you have tried out ZC beta 2.15. ZC beta 2.15 has not been released yet, unless it was done in secret. ZC beta 2.11 probably lacks some of these features.

Link Mod tiles certainly do modify Link's attacking tiles. You have to check the "expanded link mod tiles" box on the Link tile editing screen.

The reason sheilds are not working for you is that one sheild replaces the other. Link never has both sheilds at once. Use items that don't replace each other to see the effect. For instance, use an offset of 2 on a candle and 2 on the flippers and Link's total offset with both will be 4.

Nimono
11-30-2006, 08:20 PM
I don't think you have tried out ZC beta 2.15. ZC beta 2.15 has not been released yet, unless it was done in secret. ZC beta 2.11 probably lacks some of these features.

Link Mod tiles certainly do modify Link's attacking tiles. You have to check the "expanded link mod tiles" box on the Link tile editing screen.

The reason sheilds are not working for you is that one sheild replaces the other. Link never has both sheilds at once. Use items that don't replace each other to see the effect. For instance, use an offset of 2 on a candle and 2 on the flippers and Link's total offset with both will be 4.

:odd: Do you mean version 2.5, or do you mean 2.11 beta 15? If it's the latter, check out the Beta Forums- It's already been released, and everyone's getting it, considering it hast he Roc's Feather in it. :odd: If you mean the former, of course it hasn't been released. But I rarely use Link Tile Mods anyways, so how was I to know?

Lotus_Eater
11-30-2006, 11:28 PM
Thanks C-Dawg, that helps. I still have to finish all the Dark Link GFX though. And finish getting the Minish Cap link ripped and loaded up. And make the quest, I plan on finishing the Forest area in both Light and Dark world, then loading it up so people can see how it all works and be able to do it themselves.