PDA

View Full Version : The NeoFirst quest file so far

_L_
11-29-2006, 11:56 AM
http://www.greyfire.org/~l/NeoFirst_L.qst

Explore the overworld up close!

Not every door or hole leads to an area yet - but still, plenty of surprises await! (Clue: use sword-tapping to find bombable tiles.)

From the start, go north and step on the stair warp to teleport to the Endless Desert, which features procedural generation! (Albeit a little buggy right now.) Go up, up, left, up to reach the East Palace exterior.

I've made a start on the interiors of Amicus Palace and the East Palace.

Comments? (Apart from "Aaaah! Too many Goriyas!")

Nimono
11-29-2006, 12:18 PM
HURRAY!!! *downloads and plays* I'll give you my comments in a minute. I want to see if you've used the Roc's Feather you've worked so hard to bring us. :sly: If you didn't, I'll be sad. :shakeno:

Edit: Yay! Roc's Feather! Unfortunately, the Boomerang problem for me transfers to the Roc's Feather, too. (I can't use them diagonally up-left. O_o) I've noticed that almost all of warps lead to nowhere! One leads to an inescapable gravity room, some lead to a Cave room that you can't get out of, and other annoying things. Anyways, the Mystic Forest is a bit cluttered. You can't see where you're going sometimes.

...I like it! It helps you hide paths, thus making players actually SEARCH for something! :D

Dart Zaidyer
11-29-2006, 12:51 PM
...Okay, _L_, there is seriously something wrong with your sound settings. In every quest you've put out so far, the included SFX are either way too loud or in this case, full of awful static.

Imprisoned
11-29-2006, 01:21 PM
Warp returns messed up...

SOUNDS ARE TERRIBLE!!

Aaaah! Too many Goriyas!

But graphically it's good. But why no 2x1 Link?

ShadowTiger
11-29-2006, 04:51 PM
_L_, does this include the caves by:

_L_ (I do believe it does. :p )
Saffith (I've seen 'em for myself.)
Rocksfan13 (I saw them too.)
Tygore (I think he was supposed to do the Thieves Hideout. Not much was planned for it yet in terms of layout and activities, so we'll get to that later.)
The Cyborg (I might have seen them, but memory fails me.)
Amaster42 (I don't recall seeing anything from him.)

I'll download it when I'm at home. Give me a few hours. Three, .. four.. etc.

Aaaah! Too many Goriyas!... G'haack! XD *Hates Goriyas*

But graphically it's good.Did you expect any less from either of us? :p
But why no 2x1 Link?Being theorized right now in another thread, actually.

Unfortunately, the Boomerang problem for me transfers to the Roc's Feather, too. (I can't use them diagonally up-left. O_o)Oh, rest assured, you're not alone. :p I've got the same issues on my end, though not necessarily specific to these two items. I've never been able to get any upper left sort of movement other than walking itself to work on any PC I've ever used.

Anyways, the Mystic Forest is a bit cluttered. You can't see where you're going sometimes.Good. :blah: I had planned it that way. When we get Freeform Combos that can go for more than 4x4, you'll start to see thick mist around the forest.

Nimono
11-29-2006, 05:41 PM
Oh, rest assured, you're not alone. :p I've got the same issues on my end, though not necessarily specific to these two items. I've never been able to get any upper left sort of movement other than walking itself to work on any PC I've ever used.

Good. :blah: I had planned it that way. When we get Freeform Combos that can go for more than 4x4, you'll start to see thick mist around the forest.

I'm glad I'm not alone on the upper-left thing, and I'm happier now that I know that your plan was to have the Mystic Forest be VERY cluttered. Like I said in that very same post, I LIKE IT CLUTTERED SO MUCH TO WHERE YOU CAN'T TELL WHERE YOU'RE GOING HALF THE TIME. :D

_L_
11-29-2006, 11:08 PM
...Okay, _L_, there is seriously something wrong with your sound settings. In every quest you've put out so far, the included SFX are either way too loud or in this case, full of awful static.
Undoubtedly, ZQuest's Wave file interpreting thing must not be entirely platform independant!

Warp returns messed up...Which ones?

Saffith
11-30-2006, 10:59 AM
Yeah, the sound's definitely quite screwed up. All the custom sounds come out as extremely loud white noise. That's gonna have to be worked out...
I think the warps Imprisoned is referring to are those little cave rooms that most of the doors lead to. For some reason, you have to enable walking through walls to get through the door.

Hot Water Music
12-01-2006, 09:27 PM
Yeah, _L_, for some reason your quests always have the sounds overamplified

_L_
12-01-2006, 10:49 PM
I think the warps Imprisoned is referring to are those little cave rooms that most of the doors lead to. For some reason, you have to enable walking through walls to get through the door.

This is a manifestation of this bug. (http://www.armageddongames.net/showthread.php?t=94630)

Lotus_Eater
12-02-2006, 11:21 AM
Would you like my adapted Minish Cap Link for this, he is almost fully functional so far, all I have left for him is getting his swimming tiles imported and getting his 1 arm poses. And shields, yeah, the shields need done still, but that is because I am not sure which shields I wanted to use. Anyways, I think it might be a good idea to take advantage of the big link features with a newer link.
Here is the Link I have been working on, I have a little ways to go still, but I think it'd be better than the DoR link.
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g213/Biokanan/MinishCapLink.gif

Dart Zaidyer
12-02-2006, 09:40 PM
Technically speaking, DoR Link is Minish Cap Link, but smaller.

That is a decent rip of Minish Cap Link, but if you're going to make him that big the least you could do is account for Z3 Animation. It may take some editing to get all his frames in sequence and looking good... In my attempts to rip the full-size MC Link, I've found that there needs to be a certain bounce in his step or it won't look right at all, especially at the high speed of Z3 Animation.

Of course, then you have another problem... Link's going to be twice as big as all the monsters!

ShadowTiger
12-02-2006, 11:12 PM
Indeed; as I mentioned earlier, I am loathe to use the (VISIBLY) large Link. At best, he can use his 2x2 tile allotment, but will still be visibly 1x1. The extra space will be for those erroneous pixels, such as his ears or sword sheath or shield as it roves all over his body as he waves and wraggles his arms as he walks.

Lotus_Eater
12-03-2006, 09:53 AM
Z3 Animation is all screwy and I couldn't figure it out, it uses 1 frame for a while, then goes 2323 then 1 for a while, it was really wierd. The BS Animation actually works, besides Minish Cap Link is only a little bigger than standard, just his head sticks a bit, and a little of his ears and shield will. So far he doesn't look odd at all. He is only a little bigger than the monsters.

Saffith
12-03-2006, 10:56 AM
Eh. He's about 4-6 pixels above 16, depending on the frame, which is kind of a lot at that scale. It may not look too weird around Octoroks and such, but when there are Wizzrobes and Darknuts about, he'd seem pretty huge.

The_Amaster
12-03-2006, 12:06 PM
Whoops....The caves have been sitting on my drive for the past two weeks. Forgot toally about them. _L_, I'll get them ot you later today. Sweet overworld, I mean, your good.

ShadowTiger
12-03-2006, 01:55 PM
By the way, _L_, I noticed a "bug" here... I'm not sure if it's specific to NeoFirst alone or not, but the "Misc: Hover Boots Glow" in the Weapons/Misc area is missing when viewing it in NeoFirst, but when I open up Raw ZQuest Beta 15, it's there. When I immediately open up NeoFirst_L_.qst for viewing and go straight to the same area, it isn't.

_L_
12-04-2006, 12:02 AM
That's unexpected... it is indeed displayed as "z84."

Imprisoned
12-04-2006, 10:31 AM
Of course, then you have another problem... Link's going to be twice as big as all the monsters!
Then we need the enemy editor for 2x2 monsters XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imprisoned
Warp returns messed up...

Which ones?

When you go to an item room, you can't get back, and if you can get back from anywhere, theres no proper warp return set, so Link appears at the upperleft corner.

That's unexpected... it is indeed displayed as "z84."
So the Hover Boots glow is z84? If it is, thanks!

Z3 Animation is all screwy and I couldn't figure it out, it uses 1 frame for a while, then goes 2323 then 1 for a while, it was really wierd.

Zelda 3 Animation is broken in B15.

Indeed; as I mentioned earlier, I am loathe to use the (VISIBLY) large Link. At best, he can use his 2x2 tile allotment, but will still be visibly 1x1. The extra space will be for those erroneous pixels, such as his ears or sword sheath or shield as it roves all over his body as he waves and wraggles his arms as he walks.
By that, do you perhaps mean that only one tile of Link will take damage?
So like when an Octorok hits Link's hand with a projectile, he won't take damage?

but will still be visibly 1x1. Don't you mean... technically or something? VISIBLY he is 2x2 right? Correct I'm wrong.

ShadowTiger
12-04-2006, 12:04 PM
When you go to an item room, you can't get back, and if you can get back from anywhere, theres no proper warp return set, so Link appears at the upperleft corner.Well, generally, on oveworld type Dmaps, the exit is on the lower side, and on Dungeon type Dmaps, it's on the upper side. I don't recall how Cave Dmaps handle it.

So all you'd have to do is switch that screen from the exit being on the top, to being on the bottom, and you'd be good to go.

_L_
12-06-2006, 11:34 AM
Well, generally, on oveworld type Dmaps, the exit is on the lower sideOn level 0, it's on the lower side.

Note to self: make a quest rule that slices out all of this "level 0" business so you can have whistle whirlwinds in any DMap you want.

WindStrike
12-06-2006, 07:05 PM
Note to self: make a quest rule that slices out all of this "level 0" business so you can have whistle whirlwinds in any DMap you want.
So... would that mean you could have more than just 8 whistle warps? Hmm... that's something that I may use, considering the number of dungeons and their areas in my quest.

Although the overworld is looking really great... I must say that mayhaps a bit too much freedom is alotted around the place, as in some people may not have a clue where to go, even though there'll probably end up being a walkthrough for the quest.

ShadowTiger
01-05-2007, 12:36 PM
Um, BTW, ... does anyone else find the sound effects packed into NeoFirst's file to be a little .. uh .. staticcy? (For lack of a better word. Or spelling.) They sound like the sound quality is so low (Again, SOUND like... Not ARE. It might be on my end, and I'm making sure.) that it's really just static over here. The Midis are fine. It's only happening with NeoFirst too. It's the included sound effects built in with the SFX editor, I'd bet.

as in some people may not have a clue where to go, even though there'll probably end up being a walkthrough for the quest.I would love to craft one in my spare time. I do want to include a few more pit-based impediments. The hookshot is an easily acquired item, and it's not like you NEED to defeat the bosses in sequential order. Honestly, I'm sort of hoping that you can use items from future dungeons to defeat these bosses more easily. (Using say ... Din's Fire on the plant-based boss of L1 whereas you would have only had the Red Candle if you had tackled it right after completing L1.)

_L_
01-05-2007, 01:10 PM
Um, BTW, ... does anyone else find the sound effects packed into NeoFirst's file to be a little .. uh .. staticcy?
Not your imagination! (http://www.armageddongames.net/showthread.php?p=1106830)

ShadowTiger
01-05-2007, 01:14 PM
Read it, and already attracting the attention of the ZC Mac-Users in IRC Chat (http://www.purezc.com/index.php?page=members&section=chatroom). (Takuya, among a few others.)

SoStaci
07-16-2007, 09:09 PM
It says error when I click on quest link.

ShadowTiger
07-16-2007, 09:36 PM
The new link is here (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TMEWU2WT). At this point, I'm still cleaning up a lot of the mess that the previous builds have done. I'm still designing L2's schematic entityset, and getting the walls for L3 idealized. I want them to be new and fresh for NeoFirst; never seen before.

Joe123
07-18-2007, 02:22 PM
Which version of ZC is this for?

Luigi
07-18-2007, 02:43 PM
Which version of ZC is this for?

2.11 Beta 15, 16 or one of the alpha builds.

ShadowTiger
07-18-2007, 05:06 PM
You can never go wrong with the latest build on www.shardstorm.com when dealing with NeoFirst.

_L_
07-25-2007, 09:53 AM
The new link is here (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TMEWU2WT).
Hmm, wait.
How would you combine those combo table-related changes in there... with the changes made in my current version of the file (http://www.greyfire.org/~l/NeoFirst_L.qst) (which includes, among other things, linked and fixed versions of the recently submitted caves and dungeons)?

ShadowTiger
07-25-2007, 10:52 AM
You tell me. If we're working uncoordinatedly, what's to stop either of us from doing this. You've made far more plot-related decisions than I have, so you must know how everything looks like in the quest.

_L_
07-26-2007, 01:30 AM
No, I meant like: do I import your version's graphics pack, or export my maps, or what? Because it seems that various combo pages have been shifted around by varying degrees in your version, which causes inescapable problems when I attempt either.

ShadowTiger
07-27-2007, 04:53 PM
Ah, that. I actually don't expect it to be too difficult. It's mostly a matter of comparing the two quests side-by-side (Hoorah Windowed Mode!) to see where each combo page begins. It's almost a cakewalk (In Application terms.) to move the combos in yours around with i and shift+i to where mine are. Seeing as all the bugs are gone from that, (I sure as hell hope so.) it shouldn't be much of a problem.

_L_
07-28-2007, 12:49 AM
Well... one of the things I've noticed is that you've transplanted "Entrances" and "Wall Objects" to in front of "LttP Houses." Exactly what esoteric hotkey can be used to help with that?

ShadowTiger
07-28-2007, 11:46 AM
Your trick question is very complex. :confused: I was convinced that the Copy and Move feature had been fixed by now, if it was ever even broken.

EDIT: ... Wow. @ @. ._.' I'm sorry, that honestly hit me like a cannon. I sincerely thought that there was a problem here that couldn't be solved by Copy and Move. It's pretty much how I was moving things around, and things couldn't possibly have gotten so ... disorientingly different without them. :shrug:

Additionally, I hope no sarcasm is found anywhere in the vicinity.

_L_
07-28-2007, 10:39 PM
It's an innoculous question. As the right-click menu includes the "Copy" function but not the "Move" function, I was merely confirming, as said editor lies outside my Areas of Expertise, that said function existed, and was bound to a certain key corresponding to the first letter of its name.

Thanks!

Nicholas Steel
07-28-2007, 10:43 PM
um L, what does innocuous and esoteric mean?

Snarwin
07-30-2007, 11:22 AM
es·o·ter·ic
–adjective
1. understood by or meant for only the select few who have special knowledge or interest; recondite: poetry full of esoteric allusions.
2. belonging to the select few.
3. private; secret; confidential.
4. (of a philosophical doctrine or the like) intended to be revealed only to the initiates of a group: the esoteric doctrines of Pythagoras.

in·noc·u·ous
–adjective
1. not harmful or injurious; harmless: an innocuous home remedy.
2. not likely to irritate or offend; inoffensive; an innocuous remark.
3. not interesting, stimulating, or significant; pallid; insipid: an innocuous novel.The internet knows all.

MotleyCrueFan
08-06-2007, 10:56 PM
http://www.greyfire.org/~l/NeoFirst_L.qst

Explore the overworld up close!

Not every door or hole leads to an area yet - but still, plenty of surprises await! (Clue: use sword-tapping to find bombable tiles.)

From the start, go north and step on the stair warp to teleport to the Endless Desert, which features procedural generation! (Albeit a little buggy right now.) Go up, up, left, up to reach the East Palace exterior.

I've made a start on the interiors of Amicus Palace and the East Palace.

Comments? (Apart from "Aaaah! Too many Goriyas!")

Will this work on Beta 500 from Shardstorm.com Yes or No?

ShadowTiger
08-06-2007, 11:08 PM
Everything should "work" in any build released after the release of the quest's static link.

gamer07
08-23-2007, 01:56 PM
Yeah and the first quest won't work on 2.11 for me????

Master_of_Power
08-24-2007, 10:27 AM
You might have to upgrade to a newer version Shardstorm! :P (http://shardstorm.dreamhosters.com)