PDA

View Full Version : Charge Up Spin/Whirling Blade

*b*
11-28-2006, 11:26 PM
Few suggestions. Mostly just to make it look even cooler

- Quest rule to enable "hold" graphics for Link, which can show him holding the sword and walking
- Quest rule for unique tiles for the charge up spin
- Rename the scroll to the Whirling Blade
- Quest rules for sword-specific sparkles when the charge up spin is preformed
- Quest rules for sword-specific sparkle patterns when the charge up spin is preformed (Edge/LttP style, random [randomly appears within the range of the attack], enemy hit [when the attack hits an enemy, one sprkle is displayed at that point], spread [spreads out sparkles away from Link in a random pattern])
- Quest rules for sword-specific charge up location (Front, back/side OoT style)

_L_
11-28-2006, 11:34 PM
- Quest rule to enable "hold" graphics for Link, which can show him holding the sword and walking
Indeed, I ought to have bothered to do this.

- Rename the scroll to the Whirling BladeWhy? That's not what the games call it.

Sure, whatever.

- Quest rules for sword-specific sparkle patterns when the charge up spin is preformed (Edge/LttP style, random [randomly appears within the range of the attack], enemy hit [when the attack hits an enemy, one sprkle is displayed at that point], spread [spreads out sparkles away from Link in a random pattern])Mmm-hmm. I suppose one denotes the other.

- Quest rules for sword-specific charge up location (Front, back/side OoT style)Well, actually, it's pretty much mandatory that Link holds the sword in front of him. Sorry.

Dart Zaidyer
11-28-2006, 11:53 PM
How about an option to reverse the direction of the spin? Right now it only spins the Gameboy way, but in most 2d Zelda games, Link will always pull the blade back behind him and spin clockwise. (And in Four Swords Adventures, a level 2 charge would have him holding the blade behind him, but stab things normally.)

*b*
11-29-2006, 12:11 AM
Why? That's not what the games call it.

Actually, that's what LttP and Link's Awakening call it, which is where it first came from. Besides, it sounds cooler than just a simple "spin attack"

Sure, whatever./Mmm-hmm. I suppose one denotes the other.

Is that a yes?

Well, actually, it's pretty much mandatory that Link holds the sword in front of him. Sorry.

How so?

As I said, these are all just enhancements to make it look cooler, and to vary it from quest to quest

Also, what about having the ability for new tiles for the charge up/spin? Like, an animation that shows the sword flashing, instead of cycling palettes which makes it look funny, and tiles for all eight positions of the sword as it spins, to make it look like it's really flying

Radien ZC
11-29-2006, 05:36 AM
Few suggestions. Mostly just to make it look even cooler

- Quest rule for unique tiles for the charge up spin
I was about to come here to create a topic for these same requests, until I saw this thread that Gashin.... er, Relic... I mean, *b* created. :P So yeah, I support most of his suggestions.

I think having Link walk without his legs moving at all (while charging his sword) looks awful. It looks bad enough that I would not use the spin attack in my quest if this is not remedied. I highly suggest having Link tiles for the held charge, including a walking animation.

*b*'s other suggestions were nice, but not really necessary. Most of them can wait until after version 2.5, IMO.

- Rename the scroll to the Whirling Blade
I'm somewhat indifferent to whether this gets changed or not, but I wanted to point out that *b* is correct: the official name for the "spin attack" is the "Whirling Blade Technique." Just "Whirling Blade" would suffice. "Spin Attack" is a name probably coined by younger players and people who didn't read the instruction manual (including myself, mind you).

*b*
11-29-2006, 06:29 AM
I'm somewhat indifferent to whether this gets changed or not, but I wanted to point out that *b* is correct: the official name for the "spin attack" is the "Whirling Blade Technique." Just "Whirling Blade" would suffice. "Spin Attack" is a name probably coined by younger players and people who didn't read the instruction manual (including myself, mind you).

In all fairness, Most games call it a charged spin attack, or just spin attack. None of the games after Link's Awakening assign an actual name to the move, which is why I suggest that if we give the move a name, it should be the only name it's ever had

Petoe
11-29-2006, 06:35 AM
*b*'s other suggestions were nice, but not really necessary. Most of them can wait until after version 2.5, IMO.

Agreeed!
Oh and the "legs not moving while charging sword" must be fixed. otherwise it looks too dumb to be used in a quest. :(

Radien ZC
11-30-2006, 11:15 PM
Agreeed!
Oh and the "legs not moving while charging sword" must be fixed. otherwise it looks too dumb to be used in a quest. :(
Yeah, I already said that, in different words. :) So, I agree.

_L_
12-01-2006, 05:20 AM
None of the games after Link's Awakening assign an actual name to the move,

You mastered the secret sword technique of the Spin Attack! -- Ocarina of Time.

You mastered the Spin Attack! Press and hold (B) to power your weapon with magic... -- Majora's Mask.

You learned the secret Spin Attack fighting technique! This is the first sword technique you've learned from Master Swiftblade! -- The Minish Cap.

Up+B - Spin Attack -- Super Smash Bros.

Dlbrooks33
12-01-2006, 07:09 AM
You got the wooden sword, open the menu and select it to swing it. hold the button to perform a spin attack--Oracle of Seasons/Ages

_L_
12-01-2006, 11:26 AM
And so on and so forth.

Sure, whatever./Mmm-hmm. I suppose one denotes the other.

Is that a yes?
It's an "It's a good suggestion."

eXodus
12-01-2006, 09:47 PM
Not having read the Instruction Manual for LttP (too young when we first rented it out, no manuals come with Roms, never bothered to find scans, etc.), the only time I've heard the name Whirling Blade used is for the controllable Spin Attack. Now that has only been in the newer games like FS, WW and MC, and it was never used to refer to the normal one in any of them. Also, didn't Link's father in LttP just call it the Spin Attack?

But as an aside, I think it would be cool to see the controllable spin added at a later date. It might get annoying trying to choose between it and the Cross Beams in the heat of battle though - the beams would probably be activated only when you're stationary, right? Or you could combine them, so that the Whirling Blade fires Sword Beams for the whole duration of the spin ;)

Nimono
12-01-2006, 09:56 PM
Not having read the Instruction Manual for LttP (too young when we first rented it out, no manuals come with Roms, never bothered to find scans, etc.), the only time I've heard the name Whirling Blade used is for the controllable Spin Attack. Now that has only been in the newer games like FS, WW and MC, and it was never used to refer to the normal one in any of them. Also, didn't Link's father in LttP just call it the Spin Attack?

But as an aside, I think it would be cool to see the controllable spin added at a later date. It might get annoying trying to choose between it and the Cross Beams in the heat of battle though - the beams would probably be activated only when you're stationary, right? Or you could combine them, so that the Whirling Blade fires Sword Beams for the whole duration of the spin ;)

Actually, LttP/FS on GBA and WW called it the Hurricane Blade, while TMC called it Great Spin Attack. To this day, I STILL call that the Hurricane Blade. But yeah, it's not Whirling Blade. Some people call it that (and I think some walkthroughs on Zelda.com call it that, too), but its true name is Spin Attack, and nothing else. Or, if you prefer, Spin Blade. :laughing: Or Whirling Spin. Or any combonation of the 4 words. :rofl: Honestly, I don't care what it's called, because I know what it is either way.

eXodus
12-01-2006, 10:02 PM
Of course, once we have usable dialogue editing and Custom Item Names in stable (hopefully 2.5), we won't need to worry about. People would make them non-Scrolls with whatever name they want - and then THEY would be the ones everyone bit^H^H^Hwhinges at for using the "wrong" name!

*b*
12-02-2006, 12:37 AM
Okay okay, guys, I get it. It's the "Spin Attack" now. It was just a suggestion, Jesus...

It's an "It's a good suggestion."

That still dosen't answer my question

_L_
12-02-2006, 09:31 AM
Sorry about that. I'll probably implement it when I'm done implementing the dialogue editor, holes/drowning and cliff jumping. And maybe after the water walking raft as well.

Radien ZC
12-02-2006, 09:50 AM
Y'know, the Japanese name for the ability is probably some variation on "whirling blade technique." It's just probably a lot shorter. Hence why "spin attack" was coined. 5 syllables versus 3... 3 wins.

It's not the first time Nintendo has imitated phrases coined by fans. For instance, in the Japanese Zelda 2, Link's shadow is called "Doppleganger." However, no one told the America fans what he was called, back then, so we just called him "Dark Link." And when the boss reappeared in Ocarina of Time, he sported "Dark Link" as his American name.

By the way, "Great Spin Attack" is just the charged version of "Spin Attack." It really *is* worthy of the name "hurricane," though, considering that you can spin continuously while moving.

Sorry about that. I'll probably implement it when I'm done implementing the dialogue editor, holes/drowning and cliff jumping. And maybe after the water walking raft as well.
A little confused by the raft comment (I thought it was going to be "boots"?), but I like the sound of all of these coming additions. :)

Imprisoned
12-02-2006, 12:26 PM
Y'know, the Japanese name for the ability is probably some variation on "whirling blade technique." It's just probably a lot shorter.

It's called "Kaitengiri".

By the way, "Great Spin Attack" is just the charged version of "Spin Attack." It really *is* worthy of the name "hurricane," though, considering that you can spin continuously while moving.

Yeah, thanks for reminding me about the Great Spin Attack. The name should be kept as Spin Attack because later the Great Spin Attack *might* be implemented too, so it wouldn't look good to be "Whirling Blade" and "Great Spin Attack", than "Spin Attack" and "Great Spin Attack"

Not only quest rules, we would need a "MISC: Spin Attack Sparkles" sprite.

- Quest rules for sword-specific sparkle patterns when the charge up spin is preformed
It wouldn't work because the sparkle would be one tile, so the sparkles would appear too far from the sword. Except if the sparkles would be minitiles.

Nimono
12-02-2006, 01:24 PM

Yeah, thanks for reminding me about the Great Spin Attack. The name should be kept as Spin Attack because later the Great Spin Attack *might* be implemented too, so it wouldn't look good to be "Whirling Blade" and "Great Spin Attack", than "Spin Attack" and "Great Spin Attack"

Not only quest rules, we would need a "MISC: Spin Attack Sparkles" sprite.

It wouldn't work because the sparkle would be one tile, so the sparkles would appear too far from the sword. Except if the sparkles would be minitiles.

:laughing: After reading this thread and mentioning the Hurricane Blade and Great Spin Attack techniques, I instantly made a suggestion for the Hurricane Blade Tiger Scroll. Much to my surpise, _L_ came and mentioned a shocking thing- HE'S ALMOST DONE MAKING THE HURRICANE BLADE! All he needs to do now is make the part where Link gets stunned. ^_^ (Haven't used that one yet! XD) He also said he wants to do the Great Spin Attack, too. Man, _L_ seems to be one step ahead of us! XD

_L_
12-02-2006, 02:00 PM
Much to my surpise, _L_ came and mentioned a shocking thing- HE'S ALMOST DONE MAKING THE HURRICANE BLADE! All he needs to do now is make the part where Link gets stunned. ^_^ (Haven't used that one yet! XD)Oh, all right, I'll make the part where Link gets stunned.

He also said he wants to do the Great Spin Attack, too.Uhh, no, I didn't. I just mentioned the mechanics of the Great Spin Attack in order to contrast the differences between the Hurricane Spin, which you seemed to be confusd about.

But hey, since you mentioned it...! (But it won't happen anytime soon.)

Nimono
12-02-2006, 03:47 PM
Uhh, no, I didn't. I just mentioned the mechanics of the Great Spin Attack in order to contrast the differences between the Hurricane Spin, which you seemed to be confusd about.

But hey, since you mentioned it...! (But it won't happen anytime soon.)

Oh! My mistake! :redface: Sorry 'bout that. The Hurricane Blade and Great Spin Attack have always been the same to me. If I remember correctly, you had to continuously press the sword button to keep spinning with BOTH attacks. Thus, I figured they were the same. ..I guess not...

Radien ZC
12-02-2006, 07:06 PM
Hey, awesome, now I can look it up! :)

*does so*

....Oh my. You guys are going to be surprised. It looks like it's a pun.

"kaitengi" means "gyroscope."

Add an extra syllable, and you get "kaitengiri," which means "revolving cut."

Anyway, it looks like both styles of names are of American construct. :P

Oh! My mistake! :redface: Sorry 'bout that. The Hurricane Blade and Great Spin Attack have always been the same to me. If I remember correctly, you had to continuously press the sword button to keep spinning with BOTH attacks. Thus, I figured they were the same. ..I guess not...
Nahh, I believe it happens automatically with Wind Waker's Hurricane Blade once you release B. However, you must charge up longer and are inflicted with stun after the attack finishes. Minish Cap's version is greatly superior, requiring no extra charge time and no ensuing stun.

In my opinion, Wind Waker's Hurricane Blade was good for only one thing, but boy did it work well: fighting Jalhalla (the giant Poe). That thing laid waste to that boss.

*b*
12-02-2006, 08:33 PM

Guess that's a "no" then (joking). If those things are really being implimented, I don't mind having my suggestion being put off until afterwards at all

And if you want, I can make the sprites to go along with those

Um, what? Tiles can be overlapped, and they can move too. Unless I'm missing your meaning...

Imprisoned
12-03-2006, 05:41 AM
Umm I kinda meant that the sparkle is a one tile, it would only work if the program would automatically start flipping it horizontally and vertically...

But it would work really good if the sparkles would be minitiles...

OH GOD DAMMIT MY ENGLISH SUCKS...