PDA

View Full Version : New walkability

Nimono
11-27-2006, 12:47 PM
(I've been wanting to post this for two or three days. :mad: )

Now that we have LttP-style movement for Link, I think it's time that the walkability thing is changed. Remember the bridges in LA that would prevent you from going over the left and right sides while you're on it (and when you're in the water you can't get back on it)? Well, I think I have a way to actually get that, but it requires LttP-Style Movement. Here's how I suggest it is changed: WHEN LTTP-SYTLE MOVEMENT IS ENABLED, ZC CHECKS FOR THE WALKABILITY OF EACH INDIVIDUAL PIXEL. Instead of turning on/off solidity for each corner of a combo, LttP Movement should allow us to change the solidity of each PIXEL of a combo. LttP Movement makes Link stop attaching to a grid, right? Well, let's say we wanted to recreate those bridges that you can't walk off of to the left or right. You put solidity on the single columns on the very left and right edges. This would allow Link to walk north and south, but not east and west while on this combo. However, let's say you have LttP Movement OFF. Well, ZC would check to see how many columns in each corner were solid. If there were any solid pixels near the center of the combo, then the game makes the entire corner those pixels are in solid. It'll prevent Link from getting stuck when he snaps to a grid. Sound good? (And yes, I know it'd be a lot of hard work, and possibly not very likely, but you've got to admit, it's a semi-good idea. :))

eXodus
11-28-2006, 07:38 AM
Couple of problems with that, the first of which is that it would only work on horizontal bridges. Why? A single pixel in the top left corner of the combo would be enough to stop Link in his tracks. Now, if you could have a smaller, <16 pixel wide hitbox, then you could get away with one tile wide tracks. But as far as the Z3 docks are concerned, they were actually 2 tiles wide graphically already...

The other thing is that it would be harder for ZScripts to read and change the walkability of a tile if it's no longer a group of 4 bits. I know that kind of argument could get people angry though, so I'll just point out that the scripting would have to change to match however the walkability is stored anyway. I think you have the right idea about reverting to grid-based detection though - checking how much and how close to the centre of the quadrant is filled would do the trick nicely. They would just have to make sure that having only the centre four pixels solid wouldn't make the whole tile unwalkable, that's all.

Tygore
11-28-2006, 03:26 PM
Here's what I think would be an improvement (and easier to implement): walkability directions. You could set the combo to allow walkability in each direction. So, if you want a bridge as you described, you would set left and right walkability only. If you wanted it to be two tiles wide, you would set walkability to left/right/down on the top tile, and left/right/up on the bottom.

(The above suggestion was inspired by the RPG Maker series).