PDA

View Full Version : Scripting suggestion- Game Over screen

Nimono
11-23-2006, 11:55 AM
I know there's a scripting forum, but I'm not sure this suggestion would go there, as it's not about a new script command, but something you can script. Okay, we all know that we can script FFCs, and items are coming soon. But now that we can script things and make our own SFX, why not allow us to script OUR OWN GAME OVER SCREENS? Under Quest>Misc. Data, there could be an option that says "Game Over Screen". Clicking on it beings up a menu. The first choice would be to script what happens to Link when he dies. Just script away! You could make an LttP death, or a GB-Zelda death, or whatever you want. You could even do it OoT-style and simple make Link fall down face-first and just darken the rest of the screen instead of turning it pitch-black. The second option would be what is shown when it says "GAME OVER" on the screen. Here, you can take tiles in the combo or tile editors and place them here for what appears at this time ("Game Over" could be a simple text string or it could be nothing but tiles). You can also attach scripts here to continue to show Link in whatever position you chose, or however the part before "Game Over" appears starts. However, there could also be a third choice- Continue, Save, Retry. With scripts on the Game Over screen (the one that actually says it) you might be able to make it instantly go from Game Over to Continue, Save, Retry, like in LttP, where Game Over appeared, moved up to the top, and it asked you if you wanted to Continue or Save and Quit. Basically, FULLY CUSTOMIZABLE SCREENS FOR WHEN YOU DIE AND/OR QUIT. It only seems fair. :P Besides, I've grown tired of the old "Link dies and goes poof" death. Some people who make Metroid games might want to make a nonstalgic Metroid death, for example, or make Mario do his familiar death in a Mario quest. The possibilities are ENDLESS with scripts, and I hope you guys like this idea.

beefster09
11-24-2006, 10:33 PM
This is a little hard to follow, but I like it. With _L_ being a dev now, this is probably more likely than before, considering that they'd have to figure out how the original would be scripted. They would just have _L_ working on it.

_L_
11-24-2006, 11:14 PM
I promise nothing!

beefster09
11-25-2006, 05:20 PM
It's just a suggestion ya know. The key word is more likely, not "garanteed."