PDA

View Full Version : Wii destorys mans television

Beldaran
11-20-2006, 01:01 PM
Wii destroys television (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2183346)

This is pretty funny. There are few other accounts in the thread of this happening as well.

Tygore
11-20-2006, 01:09 PM
I've heard a few accounts of the wrist straps breaking. I personally don't suffer from what the linked thread called "sweaty nerd hands", so I haven't even lost control of the remote yet, much less had to worry about the strap breaking.

MANDRAG GANON
11-20-2006, 03:05 PM
Well the answer is quite simple...hold on to the controller and youll be fine, I dont think there was ever a moment where I even slightly lessened my grip to the point of relying on the strap. :rolleyes:
If you cant hold on to a freaking controller when your whipping it around your a pansy, how hard is it honestly??

AtmaWeapon
11-20-2006, 03:46 PM
I get sweaty nerd hands but you really have to be heaving that controller pretty hard to do some damage. A little experimentation seems to suggest there is an upper limit to the velocity the controller can detect and it is much lower than what I think is required to break a TV.

Yoshiman
11-20-2006, 04:46 PM
I can see the Sony and Microsoft fanboys now...

"N1NTND0 WIIWII BR3KS UR TVS L0L"

Just like XBox 360s supposedly overheated themselves (maybe in some cases, but most of it was user error).

I think the fact that the guy had to rely on the strap is an indication that you don't need to swing that hard.

SUCCESSOR
11-20-2006, 04:54 PM
YES! This is what I was waiting for. Alas, I have to wait a whole year for Wii injury statistics.

Stupid fucks

MottZilla
11-20-2006, 06:55 PM
That's pretty funny. I saw this earlier today. Obviously it's the guy's friend's own fucking fault. How hard is it to not chuck something at the TV? The best part is the guy ruined probably a 2000$ or more TV with a 40$ game controller.

Orion
11-20-2006, 07:28 PM
I dunno, I've lost my grip on the controller a few times (Wii sports can get wild), and I could see how the strap could break, as the string holding it to the controller is really weak.

However, the force required to send it through the TV would take a lot more than I could see most people using when they are playing.

Beldaran
11-20-2006, 08:34 PM
If this had happened to a 360, fanboys would be vomiting from screaming so loud about how dysfunctional the 360 is. Since it happened to the Wii, "it's that guy's fault."

DarkFlameWolf
11-20-2006, 09:15 PM
at least we know the controller is a solid piece of work and won't break. :P

Pineconn
11-20-2006, 09:46 PM
Worried about your wrist strap breaking? Wrap it with duct tape. Problem fixed.

Xyvol
11-20-2006, 11:06 PM
I'm actually enjoying the wrist strap. It's not that I'm worried about accidentally losing grip on the controler. What I like is the fact that if I want a free hand, I can just let go and let it hang off my arm. One flick of the wrist brings it back to my hand. Neat.

MANDRAG GANON
11-21-2006, 01:42 AM
If this had happened to a 360, fanboys would be vomiting from screaming so loud about how dysfunctional the 360 is. Since it happened to the Wii, "it's that guy's fault."

I'd be wondering why someone would be whipping a 360 controller around more than pissing about how dysfuncional the system is. It would the persons fault 4X more in that case. Unless the controller launched it self into the TV somehow. :rolleyes:

The guy doesnt seem like hes a huge ass though, hes fairly laid back about the whole thing XD.

MottZilla
11-21-2006, 01:58 AM
Maybe he has a service plan for the TV. Or maybe he picked his friend up by the ankles and shook 2000$ out of him to buy a new TV.

Beldaran
11-21-2006, 03:22 AM
I'd be wondering why someone would be whipping a 360 controller around more than pissing about how dysfuncional the system is. It would the persons fault 4X more in that case. Unless the controller launched it self into the TV somehow. :rolleyes:

The guy doesnt seem like hes a huge ass though, hes fairly laid back about the whole thing XD.

I meant to imply a hypothetical xbox controller that was like the wiimote.

Archibaldo
11-24-2006, 12:03 PM
How hard do you have to swing in Bowling? I could see Golf or Tennis, but Bowling? He must have really been into the game to give it enough force to break the cord and crack a TV. I think he more likely just got pissed and just threw it at the TV.

phattonez
11-30-2006, 10:41 AM
Yahoo makes it their big story of the hour.

http://videogames.yahoo.com/ongoingfeature?eid=494785&page=0

ctrl-alt-delete
12-01-2006, 04:15 PM
Two words--operator error.

Either these people are REALLY fucking stupid, or they are making it up to give Nintendo bad rep.

The PS3 burned my house down. Look.

http://kevindmurray.com/photoblog/wp-content/uploads/ocalaburn.jpg

I wonder how many people are going to cut their strap, break old TVs, and try to get Nintendo to replace them.

Pineconn
12-01-2006, 04:57 PM
Sorry to hear that. You can probably call Sony's customer service center and they'll send you a free* PS3 within a short time**.

*Does not include S&H, tax, convience fee, and inconvience fee that you, in fact, have a PS3. You may then get taxed a second time.

**Shipping may take 10-12 weeks. Who knows. Hey, once it leaves the factory, it's not our problem.

Beldaran
12-01-2006, 05:09 PM
Two words--operator error.

Either these people are REALLY fucking stupid, or they are making it up to give Nintendo bad rep.

I don't think your assertion that there is a fanboy conspiracy designed to make Nintendo look bad holds any water. I think the strap broke. What you make of that is up to you. Your comment just seems ridiculous and typical of what I would expect of irrational Nintendo apologetics.

bluedeath
12-01-2006, 05:11 PM
i dont think he would want another ps3

Pineconn
12-01-2006, 05:20 PM
You know, I just noticed - that's a really high-def picture of a house burning down. Kinda disturbing, but cool nonetheless.

bluedeath
12-01-2006, 05:42 PM
You know, I just noticed - that's a really high-def picture of a house burning down. Kinda disturbing, but cool nonetheless.

what do you mean ?

ctrl-alt-delete
12-01-2006, 06:11 PM
I don't think your assertion that there is a fanboy conspiracy designed to make Nintendo look bad holds any water. I think the strap broke. What you make of that is up to you. Your comment just seems ridiculous and typical of what I would expect of irrational Nintendo apologetics.

Hence the part about the people being REALLY fucking stupid.

Have you played Wii sports, or any Wii title? The chances of the strap breaking are...slim, if any. My non-sarcastic theory is that they were not wearing it at all.

Beldaran
12-01-2006, 06:18 PM
My non-sarcastic theory is that they were not wearing it at all.

http://rook88.com/wiibreak/wiibreak4.jpg

Either they were wearing the strap and it broke, or they were not wearing it and it is a conspiracy designed to make Nintendo look bad. I find the latter to be ridiculous and paranoid.

You really have no evidence to support your theory that they are conspiring to make Nintendo look bad except you like Nintendo so much you won't accept that something went wrong.

Dechipher
12-01-2006, 06:36 PM
I could see the remote slipping from their hands, breaking the TV, oh shit, mom's gonna be mad , hey let's break this strap and blame it on Nintendo.

That's actually not that farfetched.

Orion
12-01-2006, 06:57 PM
Well it happened--my friend was trying to throw a fastball in Wii sports when he lost his grip and the controller went flying. The strap broke right at the thin part, where it's insanely weak. But lucky me, it hit my mini-fridge that's next to the tv, so nothing broken. The battery cover flew off, but otherwise, the controller still works fine.

Scared the crap out of me though, I heard the snap and for the first few seconds I was looking at the TV and the wall around it trying to figure out where it hit.

Beldaran
12-01-2006, 07:01 PM
I could see the remote slipping from their hands, breaking the TV, oh shit, mom's gonna be mad , hey let's break this strap and blame it on Nintendo.

That's actually not that farfetched.

And then post it on the internet? I doubt it.

Anyway, you saw Orion's post. His Wiimote suffered the same malfunction, so I think the "Anti-Nintendo Conspiracy of 2006" has been put to rest. I really fail to understand the intensity of the loyalty to Nintendo, to the extent of ignoring facts and thinking people are setting up conspiracies to bring them down. Nintendo is just a company full of greedy businessmen who want to make a profit, just like 99% of all other companies.

Grasshopper
12-01-2006, 09:19 PM
Can you find straps with bigger cords instead of using the ones from Nintendo (seeing as they're so flimsy)?

ctrl-alt-delete
12-01-2006, 11:36 PM
And then post it on the internet? I doubt it.

Anyway, you saw Orion's post. His Wiimote suffered the same malfunction, so I think the "Anti-Nintendo Conspiracy of 2006" has been put to rest. I really fail to understand the intensity of the loyalty to Nintendo, to the extent of ignoring facts and thinking people are setting up conspiracies to bring them down. Nintendo is just a company full of greedy businessmen who want to make a profit, just like 99% of all other companies.

Jeez, man, you really have a hard time deciphering sarcasm sometimes.

Let's try this just one more time.

My real opinion is that they were not wearing a strap, and after they broke their television, they went ahead and broke the strap to save face. If something like that happened to me, I would post it on the internet too.

And how in the hell did I get placed into the Nintendo fanboy category with just one post? Just because I hate Sony does not mean that Nintendo provides my only gaming needs, and I am only loyal to them. In fact, aside from the fact that their products are normally pretty sturdy, lately they have been slipping up. The DS Fat had barely any broken pixels, if any at all. The Lite has tons, probably due to the screen upgrade, but broken pixels none-the-less. There are multiple reports of errors on the Wii that caused them to be unplayable from launch. Nintendo is not perfect.

But forgive me for finding it incredibly hard to believe that whatever strength was in the strap was not enough to direct it away from the TV, such as in Orion's case.

Orion
12-02-2006, 01:32 AM
It wasn't so much that it directed it away from the TV, he just simply wasn't standing in front of it. When we play baseball, the pitcher usually stands off to the side and the batter stands right in front of the tv to get a clear view of the ball.

I replaced the wriststrap with one from an old digital camera. It's a little stronger, and while it doesn't fit through the little hole on the nunchuck cord, it makes me feel a lot better.

And I could honestly see a little kid sending the remote through some furnature and then cutting the cord to say he was wearing it. It's something my little sister back home would do.

AtmaWeapon
12-02-2006, 01:51 AM
I do believe that under high stress the strap will likely break. The thing is kind of flimsy and there is no doubt in my mind that Nintendo should have made the entire strap of the same thickness.

At the same time, the amount of velocity required to break the string is pretty high. As I have stated before there is a pretty clear maximum velocity the controller can detect and I'm pretty sure the amount of force required to break the strap exceeds this speed by a lot.

In short I think players should stop throwing the controllers so hard at expensive electronics, since it is clear there is a risk of breaking the strap. Nintendo should be made aware of the problem, and once they are aware they are ethically responsible for providing some kind of solution, since the temptation to throw a controller that only detects motion on the order of maybe 10 miles an hour at velocities akin to a Nolan Ryan fastball is too great for gamers to resist.

Grasshopper
12-02-2006, 12:56 PM
Nintendo should be made aware of the problem, and once they are aware they are ethically responsible for providing some kind of solution, ...

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/wiisafety.jsp

Hold the Wii Remote firmly and do not let go. Even while wearing the wrist strap, make sure you don't let go of the Wii Remote during game play and do not use excessive motion. For example, in Wii Sports bowling, the proper way to let go of the ball while bowling is to release the "B" button on the Wii Remote—DO NOT LET GO OF THE Wii REMOTE ITSELF. If you are having so much fun that you start perspiring, take a moment to dry your hands. If you use excessive motion and let go of the Wii Remote, the wrist strap may break and you could lose control of the Wii Remote. This could injure people nearby or cause damage to other objects.

goKi
12-02-2006, 01:02 PM
Anyone who blames someone other than themselves for this happening is only lying to themselves. Who knows, maybe these jerks could get away with pinning the 'accident' on Nintendo, stranger things have happened (http://www.armageddongames.net/showthread.php?t=94236).

Imprisoned
12-02-2006, 02:46 PM
Omg... how do you guys play, even WRIST STRAPS break...

Well, I'm not even going to use my Wii wrist strap. No. I'm never going to use it. It's stupid and useless. Also I just saw it breaks easily...

I'm going to use my NDS wrist strap, my brother has one too, and they're much stronger than Wii's, atleast I think so.

Suckers! Ha!

Okay... sorry

Modus Ponens
12-02-2006, 03:16 PM
Imprisoned, parachutes fail. Enough said.

War Lord
12-02-2006, 03:51 PM
I never use a wrist strap and have had no problems.
I'm not sure what people are doing to let go, but perhaps they need to be a little more careful and hang on to the damn thing.
No one at my house has had a problem in all the hours we've clocked.

AtmaWeapon
12-02-2006, 04:14 PM
I'm pretty convinced the people having troubles are throwing the controllers harder than they should, and if you have sweaty hands it slips right out.

The rule to tell if you are moving it too fast is to ask yourself, "If I let this go, would it cause damage to my TV?" If the answer is yes, you are swinging the controller too hard.