PDA

View Full Version : Yoshi's Island DS

Kairyu
11-19-2006, 11:56 PM
GASP SHOCK HORROR, something not Wii-related.
In lieu of a Wii, I purchased Yoshi's Island DS today after hearing many good things about it. After playing through the first world, I'm extremely disappointed. The entire game keeps giving me this overwhelming feeling of a second-rate sequel made by a group of unaffiliated fanboys.

The graphical style is different, and not bad for a DS game, but I really really really preferred the original YI's graphical style and I'm having a hard time figuring out why they changed it instead of trying to update what they already had. Also, the cutscenes and text boxes seem really cheap and thrown-together. None of those fancy hand-drawn scenes from the first game. And Kamek's magical dust cloud has been reduced to a magical dust sprinkling. Lame.
It also seems like all the animations use only half as many frames as the original. At the end of each stage, you can visibly see the next Yoshi teleport/fall a full character width in a single frame while trying to catch the baby.

The music sucks. Whereas the original had strong, bright, happy music that really drew you into the game, YIDS has some soft, light tunes in the background that feel like they're missing half the instrument tracks. I seriously want to turn down the volume in nearly every area I've been to so far. On the plus side (but certainly not to the game's credit), most of the menus don't even HAVE music.

The stages seem okay. I've only gone through the first world, but so far it seems like they emulate the spirit of the original well... except for the segments which require Peach's umbrella. Those seem really out of place.

It also bears mention that Poochy has apparently been removed, in favor of a bizarre nameless kangaroo-thing. Not cool. Those happy sunflowers that grew in certain places to act as platforms have also gotten creepy new faces that kind of squint at you in an evil psychopathic way.

The play control... it's left me feeling like the new babies don't give the player 'new' abilities- it just divided Yoshi's old abilities so you couldn't use them all at once. You can only run with Mario, and Yoshi walks painfully slowly with Peach. Your flutter jump also seems much shorter than I remember, unless you're using Peach, and even then it seems to be not much better than it was in the first game. I don't know about the other babies, as I haven't seen them yet.
Also, there are four control schemes, but only two different button setups. The thing is, the different button setups just switch the L and R buttons for the X and Y Buttons, so you're always left with two buttons that don't do anything. Why not just make both pairs do the same thing?

The items you could collect also seem to have been removed, which is rather annoying. They really helped with getting all the stars in certain stages. It's still mind-numbingly easy to get 1-ups, though.

In summary, I don't like it all that much. It just doesn't come close to the original in the polish category, and that was one of the best things about Yoshi's Island.

vegeta1215
11-20-2006, 02:08 AM
Most places have given this game a pretty good review, but dang. I'm interested in hearing more once you get a little further into it, maybe it will help me choose whether or not to pick it up.

Orion
11-20-2006, 03:06 AM
Yeah I'm really trying to like this game, but it's just not there. It's still sorta pretty, but not quite as good as the SNES game. The music is just sorta... there. The levels get kinda monotonous. The new character things are kinda cool, but with the levels being so boring, it's not as good as it could be. I dunno.. It's alright, but nothing spectacular like the original.

Petoe
11-20-2006, 09:26 AM
Thanks for sharing your opinions guys. I now know not to buy YI2. I have heard lots oif good things about it, but when I played the game a bit, I had the same kind of issues with the game as you guys had. I don't want to play a crappy sequel to such a brilliant game as YI was so I'm gonna skip the game even though it seemed so interesting.

vegeta1215
11-20-2006, 01:30 PM
I understand that Nintendo is making more games today than it was in the past, but why hand over the responsibility of making a sequel to such a great game to a 2nd party? Sure, Nintendo oversees the production, but all they really see is that it's polished, they don't know that it's not that fun to play (I'm looking at you Minish Cap :glare: you and your easy dungeons, pathetically linear gameplay, and tedious kinstone fusion)

Thank goodness for Retro Studios is all I can say.

punkonjunk1024
11-24-2006, 05:44 PM
minish cap was fun as hell! It wasn't as fun as the oracle games, but it was still awesome as hell. :/

ZTC
11-28-2006, 12:39 PM
Though it was pretty fun, The Minish Cap could have been made quite a bit better that it was =/
I was planning to get this game sometime after buying a DS, but from the looks of it, I'll steer clear of this one till I can find it used and dirt cheap.

Warlock
11-28-2006, 01:14 PM
Most places have given this game a pretty good review, but dang. I'm interested in hearing more once you get a little further into it, maybe it will help me choose whether or not to pick it up.

IGN gave it a pretty bad review:
http://ds.ign.com/articles/745/745698p1.html

Don't look at the score - actually read it. I don't ususally trust IGN but their handheld reviews are usually pretty accurate.

Kairyu
11-28-2006, 09:32 PM
IGN gave it a pretty bad review:
http://ds.ign.com/articles/745/745698p1.html

Don't look at the score - actually read it. I don't ususally trust IGN but their handheld reviews are usually pretty accurate.

That's a bad review? They spent at least half the article praising it for doing such a good job of copying the original- and that fact that it doesn't copy the original that well is the thing that bothers me the most about it.

Anyway, I've played a bit more and unlocked Baby DK. He's actually not bad- he actually adds new abilities instead of just taking old ones away, and his dash crush lets him move at a reasonable pace. Still, I'm getting less impressed with the stage design the further I go in.

Dark Entity
11-28-2006, 09:47 PM
I loved the original, and bought the GBA remake of YI. Although many have praised it, I also don't care for NSMB all that much. It just seemed to lack the spirit of the games it was borrowing from, and now that I hear about Yoshi's Island DS, it seems that the same thing has happened.

DS: Substance but no Soul? I have to say that I'm disappointed by several of the Nintendo releases thus far. Mario Kart was incredible, but I could live without Star Fox, Hunters, and NSMB. I don't think I'll be picking up YIDS, either.

vegeta1215
11-28-2006, 10:55 PM
I loved the original, and bought the GBA remake of YI. Although many have praised it, I also don't care for NSMB all that much. It just seemed to lack the spirit of the games it was borrowing from, and now that I hear about Yoshi's Island DS, it seems that the same thing has happened.

I borrowed New SMB from my friend - the game is just boring. I'm glad I borrowed it instead of wasting my money on it.

ctrl-alt-delete
12-01-2006, 03:56 PM
I borrowed New SMB from my friend - the game is just boring. I'm glad I borrowed it instead of wasting my money on it.

New Super Mario Brothers is one of the few games out of 15 or so on the DS that I own that I have actually played through. Even if Yoshi's Island ends up sucking, I think it will still be worth a play-through, so I intend on purchasing it once my wallet fills back up after the Wii and my new computer.

punkonjunk1024
12-01-2006, 04:56 PM
Hey, I've heard it's more of the same, and I can't really ask for much more. Too drastic of changes might have robbed it of it's classic style. Haven't played it yet, but I still plan on getting it.

12-03-2006, 11:02 PM
i love yoshi's island! i recommend you guys getting it, really classic gameplay. i was supposed to get it for Christmas but this was an early present :)

Kairyu
12-04-2006, 09:54 AM
i love yoshi's island! i recommend you guys getting it, really classic gameplay. i was supposed to get it for Christmas but this was an early present :)

... Are you a spambot? I honestly can't tell.

punkonjunk1024
12-04-2006, 12:09 PM
Yeah, same reaction here. :?

punkonjunk1024
12-15-2006, 06:10 PM
uh back on topic...
I've started playing it... at first I completely agreed, it seemed crappy. But... it really does start to pick up about half way through. Challenging, and a bit more fun.
But... god damnit does the music suck. :(

Otherwise, it's pretty damn fun.