PDA

View Full Version : Wii Online stuff [Crickets Chirping ITT]

AtmaWeapon
11-19-2006, 11:12 PM
So who has poked around with the online features of the Wii? I fired it up and sat through the boring long system updates, then proceeded to check out what fancy new features were available.

It really looks like Nintendo doesn't know what to do with the Wii online in my opinion. The Wii menu at the moment had 3 or 4 pages of blank slots, and of 3 online content slots only 1 (the Wii store) is working.

The Wii store is where you download Virtual Console games or Wii Ware. Wii Ware looks exciting (looks like a version of Opera for the Wii is underway) but nothing is available at the moment. Virtual Console looks promising but I'm slightly disappointed by the games available at the moment.

Slots exist for a "Forecast Channel" and a "News Channel" but so far all they do is notify you that the channel is not yet available and offer you to sit through the system update process with a "No updates available" prize at the end.

I guess maybe their plan is to roll out more stuff later on, but to me it looks like the online content of the Wii is suffering from launch syndrome.

jman2050
11-19-2006, 11:14 PM
Yeah. i'm somewhat disappointed with it too. They coulda done a LOT more for online content at launch. However, I do think it will get better as time goes on, once a good selection of software becomes available. I just can't help the feeling that nintendo missed the online boat... again

MANDRAG GANON
11-20-2006, 01:13 AM
Atleast you got that far, I get 1/4 of the way through the update and it gives me an error. (which takes prolly 10 minutes) :uhoh: So I can't even connect to the internet.

Also I though the Opera Browser was available right off the bat??

AtmaWeapon
11-20-2006, 02:35 AM
Atleast you got that far, I get 1/4 of the way through the update and it gives me an error. (which takes prolly 10 minutes) :uhoh: So I can't even connect to the internet.

Also I though the Opera Browser was available right off the bat??That's a shame on the error but honestly I was wondering what was up those updates took forever.

If you click on the "Wii-Ware" button it gives you a tantalizing picture of a web browser I think and says it will be released later. But there is a big fat Opera logo on the box so I am kind of confused over it.

Also :uhoh: I am loving that one I never knew it existed before! :uhoh:

Kairyu
11-20-2006, 10:06 AM
Think about it. EVERYBODY with a Wii was trying to update it yesterday. That's a lot of strain to put on a server.