PDA

View Full Version : The OQO?

punkonjunk1024
11-17-2006, 03:55 AM
http://www.oqo.com/

Basically, these things are sweet. I was considering purchasing a laptop, and granted, this is far more expensive than a laptop of equivelant power, it's also freaking sweet, extremely portable, and very funtional for what I need it for.

Basically, has anyone else heard of this? I'm going to look into either refinancing my current loan, or taking out another loan so that I can get one of these. It's sweet, and I think it'd be a great, stylish alternative to a true laptop.

Seriously, it's about the size of a quarter-sheet of paper. That rules. :)

Dechipher
11-17-2006, 04:17 AM
Fuck that. That would piss me off. Plus it'd make me go blind. Why does everything have to keep getting smaller. It's not that hard to carry a laptop around.

Modus Ponens
11-17-2006, 05:13 AM
Plus it'd make me go blind.

Actually, Dechipher, that's just a myth. Besides, you probably could find other uses for the damn thing if you tried hard enough.

biggiy05
11-17-2006, 12:36 PM
Actually, Dechipher, that's just a myth. Besides, you probably could find other uses for the damn thing if you tried hard enough.

Like throwing it at someones head?

Thing isn't worth the money.

AtmaWeapon
11-17-2006, 12:39 PM
Until you define "what I need it for" I am going to seriously question whether the purchase of one of these is wise.

A little googling reveals little to be concerned about from the hardware side (sluggish performance yes but that's the price of the Crusoe chip) but the convenience of using the thing seems in question.
Source 1 (http://www.mobiletechreview.com/notebooks/OQO-model-01.htm)
Source 2 (http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,118150-page,1/article.html?RSS=RSS)

Basically, it seems like a convenience and a novelty wrapped up into one. Yeah you can type emails to friends on it but from the experiences in the articles it seems like doing so will be approximately as frustrating as using a much cheaper cell phone to do the same thing.

The most interesting nugget to me was the 800x600 resolution comments; this means if "what I need it for" involves simple web browsing you'll be in scrollbar city.

If this is your price range and "what I need it for" involves simple student tasks (word processing, email, basic internet browsing) I'd strongly suggest looking in to the smaller laptops by brands like Dell, Toshiba, and HP. For half the cost you can get twice the machine, and honestly they make them smaller than your average textbook these days so it can't be that difficult to carry one around.

I've got a monstrous Dell Inspiron 8200 that weighs something like 7 lbs and I've never really been inconvenienced by its size.

ZTC
11-17-2006, 12:45 PM
miniaturization comes at a price... :shrug:

Looks pretty cool imo; but I wouldn't have the money to spend on something like that especially when I can get a used laptop for around $200-$250; and I'd have to disagree with what they say, 'It is the only computer you need.' (again, :shrug: )

Shadowblazer
11-17-2006, 05:47 PM
Wonder if it'll run WoW...

punkonjunk1024
11-17-2006, 11:03 PM
@atma -
I'd have to say that that information is not entirely incorrect, but quite a bit outdated.
The first article was based off the first model. The second model, the 01+, costs 1200 dollars currently, running 1ghz, 30gig HD, 512 ram. 800x480 rez.

Also, remember, you can use a USB keyboard and mouse with it, if the usability of the small keyboard really slows you down and annoys you (as it would most people).

Source2 won't load for me at all, atma.

Honestly, alot of the draw is the sheer novelty, and the portability. *shrug*

Questwizard88
11-17-2006, 11:26 PM

With its really small 8mb of video RAM, probably not:

32 MB 3D graphics card with Hardware Transform and Lighting, such as NVIDIA® GeForce™ 2 class card or above

biggiy05
11-18-2006, 12:09 AM
@atma -
I'd have to say that that information is not entirely incorrect, but quite a bit outdated.
The first article was based off the first model. The second model, the 01+, costs 1200 dollars currently, running 1ghz, 30gig HD, 512 ram. 800x480 rez.

Also, remember, you can use a USB keyboard and mouse with it, if the usability of the small keyboard really slows you down and annoys you (as it would most people).

Source2 won't load for me at all, atma.

Honestly, alot of the draw is the sheer novelty, and the portability. *shrug*

OMG 1ghz!

Seriously it's a waste of money. The average weight of a laptop these days is less than 8lbs. If you are that weak or lazy that you can't carry a laptop in a bag on your shoulder then you don't need technology.

It's a portable piece of crap.

AtmaWeapon
11-18-2006, 05:45 PM
Well you seem to have your heart set on it but I still think it is a poor purchase for its price. Especially with Black Friday coming up, $1200 will get you a lot more laptop than this thing is.

If all you want is shiny and novelty then yeah I can't think of much reason not to get it, but from a practical point of view I'd much rather have a laptop than something that is only convenient if I carry a keyboard with me.

biggiy05
11-19-2006, 11:18 AM

You just took away the "portability" of it by adding in a usb combo.

Breaker
11-19-2006, 11:57 AM
if you're considering taking out a loan for 1200 to buy a little worthless novelty, then maybe you're in more trouble than you think and this is just a plea for help? find a support group. or a better job.

Executioner of Deities
11-19-2006, 03:40 PM
It looks cool, but 1200 is way to much money dude. I'll wait a few years til they have them on sale and refurbished for 200 bucks. Think about it, this time 4 years ago, a 1GHZ 256MB laptop was 1200 bucks. Today, a refurbed 1ghz laptop goes for 200. Just wait, its not worth it to go get it right now.

moocow
11-19-2006, 07:32 PM

I read the first few posts of this and wondered who was going to say that.

Anyhow, it looks pretty pointless. =/

punkonjunk1024
11-20-2006, 01:21 AM
I haven't decided if I'm going to get one of these, or a real laptop yet. Thx for the niceness though, breakarz.