PDA

View Full Version : So we have arsonist in my town..

biggiy05
11-14-2006, 11:38 AM
..and it's really starting to become a pain in the ass!

First it started with a small produce style barn/shack. It was just a small over hang with a sliding door that some people had corn and pumpkins among other things that would sell. The arsonist set that on fire and while it's still standing it's not structurally sound so the people can't use it any more. Then the person or persons set a township building on fire. It suffered minor damage.

Fast forward a few weeks and the person sets a an abandoned farm house on fire. The fire started just after 4pm and a second alarm was sent out for our neighboring station in Hartford. The fire wasn't completely out until after 10pm that night. I live in a farming town that has some housing developments but for the most part it's still a small country town. It's half city water and the other half is well water. What makes fighting these fires hard is that the closest fire hydrant is at least 2 miles away. We have a 2,000 gallon tanker that we use outside of the city water, our engine holds 1,000 gallons along with our rescue truck. Both have pumps but that water is going out as fast as it comes in. Refilling the reserve makes it even harder.

Saturday night there was another fire down the road from me. It was an occupied house. The whole front half of the house is torched, the inside isn't in pretty shape either. It was ruled as an arson yesterday afternoon.

What kind of an idiot goes around setting fires that cause property damage, cost the township money, puts the firefighters at risk along with the people in the houses? The state investigators have had a few leads but they have all hit dead ends.

Just felt like ranting.

Aegix Drakan
11-14-2006, 11:48 AM
That really sucks...I hope they catch the guy before he really hurts someone, Biggiy.

Nicholas Steel
11-14-2006, 12:02 PM
buy a shotgun... WITH AMMO... then if you hear anything odd late at night... KAPOW you did the town a service.

koopa
11-14-2006, 02:41 PM
then if you hear anything odd late at night... KAPOW you did the town a service.

Either that or you shot an innocent guy in the dark ... half the town running around with shotguns is as dangerous as the arsonist himself.

As to what kind of guy ... no offense meant to anyone, but don't arsonists sometimes turn out to be firefighters who've gone a bit crazy? I know most firefighters are very honourable people indeed, but you get the occaisional bad one. Something about a fascination with fire, I guess, or else I suppose they feel good when they've put out their own fires.

biggiy05
11-15-2006, 04:16 PM
Either that or you shot an innocent guy in the dark ... half the town running around with shotguns is as dangerous as the arsonist himself.

We don't need any more old men toting shotguns around than we already have. If some kids are out toilet papering a house they might accidentally get shot and that would cause even more problems.

The total count of arson fires so far is 9 including the two over the weekend. The only connection they all have is that every fire has been outside of the city where the nearest hydrant is no less than a two miles from the scene. An accelerant has been used in all 9 of the fires too.

mikeron
11-15-2006, 06:03 PM
I have the feeling this is going to end with you and the arsonist locked in hand-to-hand combat inside a burning house on a dark and stormy night.

biggiy05
11-15-2006, 08:50 PM
I have the feeling this is going to end with you and the arsonist locked in hand-to-hand combat inside a burning house on a dark and stormy night.

Change hand to hand combat for shotgun and you got it. I was and still am a volunteer but I'm on leave due to my surgery so I'm more concerned than most of the public because those are my friends out there putting their lives on the line because some prick is getting off on lighting fires.

I hope by the time I go back and start running with the engine they catch the arsonist and the fires stop.