PDA

View Full Version : Zelda Classic 2.5 WILL be out before the end of the year

jman2050
11-09-2006, 01:31 PM
I guaranteed it, and so it will be.

Nimono
11-09-2006, 01:43 PM
I guaranteed it, and so it will be.

Mm-hmm. Riiiiight. :D No seriously, I believe you. ...Sorta. I don't want to get overly excited, only to find out that something bad happened (I.e., a ton of bugs came up unexpectedly that need to be busted before you release the version) and 2.5 won't come out until next year. :P I get these overwhelming feelings like this every single day. The most common is "Am I forgetting anything?", but that's beside the point. Anyways, I can't wait for the version. GIVE IT TO ME NOW. :D (You know I'm kidding, right?)

Questwizard88
11-09-2006, 02:02 PM
*Starts searching for HHS quest maps and plans to work on them again and get ready to do it now that I'll have the needed goodies*

Modus Ponens
11-09-2006, 02:57 PM
Well, it had better if it's going to compete with the Wii for AGNers' attention.

Dark Nation
11-09-2006, 02:58 PM
Please note that he didn't say it would be stable, or even working. Just that it would be out. :D

Nimono
11-09-2006, 03:16 PM
Please note that he didn't say it would be stable, or even working. Just that it would be out. :D

Do you mind if I did that "suspense" noise-thing? No? Oh well, too bad.
DUN DUN DUNNNNN!!! :D

Limzo
11-09-2006, 03:37 PM
This is just another joke isn't it. Because I'm not buying it, however many devs tell me it's true.

Tygore
11-09-2006, 04:01 PM
If you want an extension, remember: the Chinese New Year is in February.

The_Amaster
11-09-2006, 06:15 PM
Well, if they debug b14, you could call that 2.5. I mean, it's got more features than in like, all other versions combined. (Well maybe not, but you get the idea)
BTW, Jman, you really enjoy these kind of threads, don't you? It's interesting on a psycological level, enjoyment on others suspense.

C-Dawg
11-09-2006, 06:31 PM
Just get the scripting working properly (with FFCs and items) and BOY HOWDY will you have a package to release. Not only will there be a new version, but if the scripting bugs are wrinkled out, there will already be a package full of DOZENS of new features availible (chaser traps, ice slicks, one-way tiles, etc) Not the least of which will probably be a Roc's Feather, if I read the board correctly. (Look'n at Saffith for this one)

beefster09
11-09-2006, 06:42 PM
Don't forget about the map bug and the HCP bug.

The_Amaster
11-09-2006, 07:00 PM
Yeah, but those look pretty minor. I mean, it's not like there's a bug that causes ZC to crash and delete itself if you walk more than 3 steps or anything. Most bugs seem managable.(Although I'm not a dev):shrug:

ShadowTiger
11-09-2006, 07:36 PM
Eh, I'd still rather see a fully stable release released than something sent out "by" <date>. Whenever you set a deadline for yourself when you're working with a free program, there will be many people and animals smacking their various foreheads where you could've just taken your time and gone about your unpaid fixing of bugs at your own pace.

Once 2.10 is fully (re)stable, nobody should have any complaints, really. If they do, they just like to whine. :)

Love For Fire
11-10-2006, 08:51 AM
Jman... I know you said you would have it done by the end of the year, but I am sure I am not alone in that it is worth waiting some extra time for if it is bug free. We need some stability, and if you can give that to us, it really doesn't matter when.

_L_
11-10-2006, 11:52 AM
Not the least of which will probably be a Roc's Feather, if I read the board correctly. (Look'n at Saffith for this one)I dunno... Saffith's jumping (which is based on my jump tiles) is awfully limiting. For every screen, you need to set aside a spot under which to hide Link. And you have to guarantee that such a spot is untouched by any enemy projectiles. (Also, for the duration of the jump, fireballs and other homing devices will target this area instead.)

Petoe
11-10-2006, 12:28 PM
I would KILL to see 2.5 released before the end of year, but the most important thing is that the ZC 2.5 will be as stable and bugfree as possible, so if it's still not tested properly before the end of year, please don't make the mistake and release another "almost stable" ZC. :p

But anyhoo, as C said, get the scripting working + fix all the current bugs and there you have a perfect full stable ZC.

mikepjr2
11-10-2006, 02:31 PM
For me ... i don't know if i will care, it already has a lot of cool things going for it, just bugs needs worked out, and i can wait for that... whats it called?
I think it has to do with messeges...

Also, why cant i raise up the sword to match links hight when you make him taller?
I hope that get fixed soon lol. It looks funny with the sword under link when attacking.

So far their is a feature missing, i want my own victory tune for when i grab the triforce piece.

But i will say this, im a patient man, so when ever it happens is fine.. keep us posted.. mean time i will be busy playing my Wii, lol.

Revfan9
11-10-2006, 03:02 PM
Dude... Don't rush it! I would much rather have a stable version in 2008 than another 2.10, and I know every last person here agrees with me. Now a stable version with no bugs by the end of the year... Well I would better quit dreaming.

Nick
11-10-2006, 04:10 PM
*sigh*

Please don't do this again. I wouldn't mind a beta (or release candidate even... if such a thing ever comes into existence) being released by the end of the year, but please do not call something that will only have two months of testing at the most a full version release before it has been debugged properly for awhile. In this, I mean after most of the functionality that is going to be present in 2.5 is implemented and it's down to just stability testing.

Currently, there is still a lot of stuff with the scripting that is yet to be introduced and many things are still floating around incomplete as of build 14.

*b*
11-10-2006, 04:25 PM
I agree with Nick. You guys did this with 2.10, and it was more-or-less a disaster. With the new features you've promised for 2.5, it's going to be a while before all the bugs are taken care of, and a before-New Year release would probably be too little time to test properly

Dlbrooks33
11-10-2006, 06:30 PM
You know you also have to think about life wise you 2 ^

how do you even know someone will still be living in 2008 *not saying anyone wont, its just the fact of life)

Revfan9
11-10-2006, 06:38 PM
I dunno... Saffith's jumping (which is based on my jump tiles) is awfully limiting. For every screen, you need to set aside a spot under which to hide Link. And you have to guarantee that such a spot is untouched by any enemy projectiles. (Also, for the duration of the jump, fireballs and other homing devices will target this area instead.)

If we can get item scripts working, then of course the script would be more adaptable and thus, programmed differently.

We really do not need anything else: As far back as beta 6 (given all of the bugs fixed) we could have easily called it the new version. We just need to finish implementing everything that has been only partly implemented (Scripting, Item Disabling, NPCs, etc.) and fix all of the bugs.

Nicholas Steel
11-11-2006, 01:43 AM
there only gonna release another beta for the same reason they released the other beta's... to test them... cause if there not tested then they might start fixing already fixed problems or something thus wasting more time on developing it.

and as pointed out there is a stable v2.10 in the works.

*b*
11-11-2006, 02:51 AM
and as pointed out there is a stable v2.10 in the works.

Yes, but remember, 2.10 has been the most stable release thus far in almost a year, because of the same thing they're doing again this year, and they're just now getting to work on a better version. This also means less time devoted to 2.5

Nicholas Steel
11-11-2006, 03:01 AM
not that much less time spent on it... due to a stable 2.10 is almost done as far as i can tell... so we might have lost a single month of work due to it... and waddaya know it was the month that the repository was down... so minimal time is wasted being idle.

_L_
11-11-2006, 06:10 AM
If we can get item scripts working, then of course the script would be more adaptable and thus, programmed differently.Not really. Jumping requires the ability to:
* Shut off Link's collision detection.
* ...except for walkability detection.
* Make Link invisible (and then make him visible again.)
* Draw a jumping Link (with shadow and appropriate Link tile modifications).

So far, all of the above's been done using extreme fakery. But for a game-wide item we'll need some more scripting functions that can actually do the above.

mikepjr2
11-11-2006, 12:21 PM
I dont mind waiting, not sure why so many get so upset over this, if they dont like something they can just go back and use and older version, thats how i see it.
It gets posted her so it can be tested, now stop complaining please, thank you. :)

Revfan9
11-11-2006, 03:00 PM
Not really. Jumping requires the ability to:
* Shut off Link's collision detection.
* ...except for walkability detection.
* Make Link invisible (and then make him visible again.)
* Draw a jumping Link (with shadow and appropriate Link tile modifications).

So far, all of the above's been done using extreme fakery. But for a game-wide item we'll need some more scripting functions that can actually do the above.

As many people that want the Roc's Feather? It'll happen within a week of item scripts. A month tops. Look how far the Mother 3 translation patch has come: Projects with a high popular demand get done. Item scripts are not even done, and, to quote Peteo, we are 90% away from a working Roc's feather.

Saffith
11-12-2006, 09:20 AM
Honestly, I'll be quite surprised if anyone bothers.
Still, it would be nice to be able to do it. At the very least, it'd be great to have some control over whether Link collides with enemies.
We'll see...

_L_
11-12-2006, 09:49 AM
we are 0% away from a working Roc's feather.What the heck does "0% away" mean? 0% complete? 100% complete?

The_Amaster
11-12-2006, 06:53 PM
we are 0% away from a working Roc's feather.

Perhaps it's some sort of code...:computer: Hmmm..if I run it through this super complex memory consuming algorithm...

*Ahem* Sorry....

Well, while I don't want the devs to make us a rocs feather, there are features, like a way to temporarily make link dissapear, that would make the feather easier, as well as other things, like, for say, cutscenes. Just an idea.

{DSG}DarkRaven
11-14-2006, 08:02 AM
Zero percent away from something means you're not away from it at all. Completion is implied, or near-instant completion.

Stability is paramount, regardless of time. I'm eager for the new version, but I'm also eager to not have to worry about working around bugs.

beefster09
11-14-2006, 10:56 PM
Bugs are not fun. They crawl around my desk and annoy me. It's even more annoying when I can't just smash them. :laughing:

Mega Link
11-15-2006, 08:50 AM
Before it comes out I want ALL of the subscreen bugs fixed.

cbailey78
11-15-2006, 06:51 PM
I can't wait for 2.5! Keep up the great work! :drool: Oh shoot! I drooled on my keyboard and now it's ruined by the excitement!

Aliem
11-18-2006, 06:29 PM
Wow, that's good news o.o;

I'll be looking forward to it =)

Nimono
11-18-2006, 07:24 PM
Remember everyone, don't get too excited! Things can ALWAYS go horribly wrong... Muahahaha...

Revfan9
11-18-2006, 07:26 PM
I forgot to include the 9 (90%)...

At this point through, we are 110% away from having a stable version, especially with beta 14.

The_Amaster
11-18-2006, 09:35 PM
Ohhhhh......yeah...yeah, that would make more sense.
Still, I find the prospect of 2.5 by the end of the year unlikely. I mean, they have 1 and a half months. How much progress can be made?

rocksfan13
11-19-2006, 05:08 PM
Well, for one thing, school is going to be going through a holiday vacation phase. Hence, the devs will have more time to work on it. Another is, I trust jman when he says it'll be out by the end of the year. If it comes out before then, than it's a plus.

Petoe
11-20-2006, 09:33 AM
I know everybody hates when someone asks "when will the new ZC come out!!!1" but I just have to ask you developers that can you give an estimate when you think b15 will be released? I'm not asking you to rush anything but I was just wondering. It's been so long without a new beta and it would be nice to have a new, more stable beta so that testing quests would be more pleasent again and with a new beta we would be one step closer to the full and stable release. ;)

beefster09
11-20-2006, 11:08 AM
I would bet that they are working on the dialogue editor, so it may be a while.

Revfan9
11-20-2006, 06:00 PM
And I bet they are not.

Shoelace
11-20-2006, 07:38 PM
Revfan9, well they said they were going to do that. I am crossing my fingers for a dialogue editor. !!!

Nicholas Steel
11-20-2006, 11:51 PM
im pretty sure that since they got the repository back up that there trying to put each others work back together with minimal bugs/side effects.

but i could be wrong.

Revfan9
11-21-2006, 02:47 PM
They finally got the repository back up eh? Hmm. *sigh*...

Other than that, I really have nothing more to contribute to this topic other than *crosses fingers with Shoelace and waits*

Nimono
11-21-2006, 03:48 PM
*uses a time machine to go 200 years into the future to see if 2.5 is out at that time* *comes back to the present* Nope, still not out after 200 years. :laughing:

ShadowTiger
11-21-2006, 08:51 PM
Wow guys, you've gotta stop spamming up the thread! :blah: Say something meaningful and useful or don't say anything at all. Think it. They'll hear you anyway.

cbailey78
11-22-2006, 03:48 AM
*uses a time machine to go 200 years into the future to see if 2.5 is out at that time* *comes back to the present* Nope, still not out after 200 years. :laughing:

That amuses me! I am hoping for a new release too, Keep up the great work, Jman!:D :thumbsup: