PDA

View Full Version : Access to strings, room types, guys, and such

Nick
11-07-2006, 11:36 PM
I'm not sure how plausible this is, but something that would be nice is the ability to access message strings, room types, guys, and other variables related to them for the current screen and give us the ability to modify them. Why would this be useful?

The main reason I can think this would be useful is for the long needed one room cutscene. Currently, for any sort of action to happen in a cutscene, it's going to need multiple duplicate screens (even the initiation of the cutscene will need another screen)... even with the current abilities in scripting. With access to this stuff, one could spawn a guy and set which message string number would go with him (from the strings already in the quest). After this message is finished, a scripted event could trigger the guy and the string to vanish, then have some scripted action and spawn a new guy with a different assigned string value.

There are probably other uses for this stuff, but I can't think of them at the moment. :shrug:

ShadowTiger
11-07-2006, 11:49 PM
Perhaps the a FF Combo script ability to alter the other Freeform Combos and their scripts? Forgiveness please if this is already implemented.

Combined with Nick's suggestion, it'd pretty much round out that "One-room cutscene" dream.

Dark Nation
11-07-2006, 11:51 PM
Text manipulation is not present at the moment. It is currently being determined how best to accomplish this/create ASM for it.