PDA

View Full Version : Are you going to vote today? (have you voted?)

ZTC
11-07-2006, 12:30 PM
Since I'm at college all day today and I really didn't get enough sleep to wake up early, I really can't vote today. (by the time I get back it'll be around 8:30) >_>

Prrkitty
11-07-2006, 01:51 PM
Hubby and I figured our votes and took it to the library drop off 2 Sundays ago. So yeah... we've already voted.

Jigglysaint
11-07-2006, 03:30 PM
Voting for what?

Prrkitty
11-07-2006, 05:05 PM
The presidential vote isn't until 2008. Stuff being voted on now are mostly stuff like ... more taxes on property... bonds to pay for stuff cities want... positions like State positions and such.

Glenn the Great
11-07-2006, 05:19 PM
The most important thing in this election is the control of Congress.

MottZilla
11-07-2006, 05:30 PM
I voted and encourage everyone else to vote unless they are voting for the opposite side, in which case they should stay home and watch TV.

The trip to go vote took me 45 minutes today. That's the longest time it's ever took, and the line existing proved that. Never once had the line been more than maybe 5 people. This was much longer with more old (slow) people.

mikeron
11-07-2006, 08:17 PM
Voted absentee like a month ago.

erm2003
11-07-2006, 08:52 PM
I voted and I got a sticker... which I think is now in the garbage.

biggiy05
11-07-2006, 10:30 PM
I voted. Took me 30 minutes to get in and out of there. The only things to vote for out here was a tax levy and who runs congress.

Starkist
11-07-2006, 10:43 PM
I voted a week ago. I enjoy going to a polling place, but my county went all-mail this year. Jerks. Just makes it easier for fraud anyway.

My vote makes no difference in the national scene, as Senator Cantwell and Congressman Smith will both win easily. I hope to make a difference in our initiatives though, #933 would stop government from seizing private land with environmental restrictions without compensation, #920 would repeal the WA estate tax, and I voted against #937, which would penalize energy companies that don't do enough in the area of renewable resources (yet the bill does not count hydro power as renewable.)

moocow
11-07-2006, 11:17 PM
I didn't vote. Why? Because I don't know shit about politics, I didn't know who to vote for for anything and I knew nothing about the levies. And I didn't care enough. I'm not politically mature enough to vote, so I just don't do it...

Rainman
11-08-2006, 12:08 AM
I voted for the first time today and after I stayed up all night. The selection was rather lousy with choices ranging from Republican vs. Democrat to only a Democrat. I haven't been following local politics and the only thing I'm sure of is I don't want either Santorum or Casey to be my Senator. I had obtained a sheet from a fellow libertarian of decent write-in candidates and I did my best with that.

Lilith
11-08-2006, 01:44 AM
I voted and everyone I vote for loses.
voted for moderate Republican instead of insane, corrupt Democrat
FAIL
voted for Democrat instead of insane, corrupt Republican
FAIL
lol Illinois

{DSG}DarkRaven
11-08-2006, 09:57 AM
Maybe things were ho-hum elsewhere, but a lot of important stuff went down in Michigan, apart from the predictable democratic re-elections for boring positions that were ultimately unrelated to the things that the advertisements were all about. We banned affirmative action, becoming the third state to do so, we changed the way the government can use Emminent Domain, and we took care of some very important school funding issues, because the education system is going broke everywhere (like everything and everyone else in the state).

I voted after I got out of work at seven, and it took about ten minutes. Just gotta pick your times.

ShadowTiger
11-08-2006, 10:23 AM
I was actually rather disgusted with the candidates this election. The vast majority of the ones I recognized were doing nothing but mudslinging, rather than promoting themselves (Or heaven forbid, others.) I don't really have a lot of confidence in those that only seem to express their ability to berate and ridicule others, rather than exhibit their own outstanding merits which can contribute towards our future betterment.

Of course, that's what's likely to be seen in every election. =/ "Welcome to America. Land where you're supposed to belittle each other to win."

I think I saw a party called "Our rent is too high!" I wanted to vote for that one. :)

DarkDragon
11-08-2006, 10:31 AM
I didn't vote, but I would have voted in Texas which is so blood-red my voted wouldn't have mattered, so I don't feel too bad about it.

Is it known who has control of the Senate yet? The best I can find over here is news from last night with Montana and Virginia still "too close to call."

Kairyu
11-08-2006, 11:09 AM
I wasn't happy with the outcome in my state, so I voted again today.

Nah, not really. In DE, it's basically a freebie for the incumbent. Which isn't much of a problem for me. I got the impression from the ad campaigns that none of the candidates had any really huge scandals- most of the mudslinging attempts seemed like desperate accusations with a vague relation to reality. If the candidates can't come up with decent reasons for me to hate their opponents, I'll just go for whoever can do the most for me.
Besides, we're a pretty small state. I'd rather elect someone who I moderately disagree with but who can actually do things for our state, than elect someone who I mostly agree with but who can't actually do anything about it.

I noticed one county somewhere had four Democratic candidates running. Did they decide to skip their primary this year or something?

erm2003
11-08-2006, 07:07 PM
Right now the Senate is 50-49 Democrat with one election race still being processed in Virginia. Right now the Democrat candidate is ahead by about 8,000 votes with 99% of the precincts reporting. The Democrats need to win this seat to get control of the Senate. If this seat goes to the Republicans, then they will control the Senate.

For those who don't know (and I had to look this up to be sure), a 50-50 Senate will be considered a Republican Senate (for now) because any tie-breaker is broken by the Vice-President. The Democrats need the 51st seat to be the clear majority.

moocow
11-08-2006, 08:44 PM
One of my bosses didn't come into work this morning because he was so mad about the winners. Then when he did come in, he came in just as they announced that Rumsfeld resigned, and he FREAKED.

Yeah, it's been an interesting day...

Glenn the Great
11-08-2006, 08:52 PM
I wish I could have seen the look on your boss's stupid conservative face.

goKi
11-08-2006, 09:00 PM
A big thankyou from Australia to all the Americans who voted and caused the republicans to lose power in the House of Representatives.

Glenn the Great
11-08-2006, 09:26 PM
A big thankyou from Australia to all the Americans who voted and caused the republicans to lose power in the House of Representatives.

Don't forget the Senate too! It appears it is all but in the bag now.

goKi
11-08-2006, 09:49 PM
Now, that's the strangest thing about the USA's government structure. The opposition party can have voting control of both houses. (although i do understand that the President has to sign every bill passed through both houses, correct?) In the Australian government system, the party that controls the house is also voted into government. We're also facing a problem like the USA, where the conservative party has voting control in both houses.

erm2003
11-08-2006, 09:51 PM
It is much different since we have a separate election for the president. But it also allows the people to change the parties in the houses to the opposition if they don't approve of the current administration, as we are now seeing with the Bush administration.

It is now official. The Democrats will also take the Senate.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061109/ap_on_el_se/democrats_senate_7

goKi
11-08-2006, 09:58 PM
Our house configuration is stuck until the next federal election, which is about 3 years apart. So basically, when we've got a configuration that is doing no good for the country such as our current configuration, we're stuck with it for a long time.

Glenn the Great
11-08-2006, 10:24 PM
It is now official. The Democrats will also take the Senate.

This is a wonderful day to be an American.

biggiy05
11-08-2006, 11:03 PM
This is a wonderful day to be an American.

The first and LAST time I will ever agree with Glenn but it is true.

Rainman
11-08-2006, 11:06 PM
I'm hoping the democrats will focus their attention on undoing the damage the republicans did and not doing, well... all the things they do that I don't approve of. That's the reason I went democrat when I wasn't sure. Whatever, right now I'm optimistic that at least things might get better than before. I remember being depressed when Republicans took complete control.

Glenn the Great
11-09-2006, 02:05 AM
The first and LAST time I will ever agree with Glenn but it is true.

Agreeing with me is the wave of the future. Everyone should try it.

Modus Ponens
11-09-2006, 02:33 AM
Well, that's a thrill and a relief. I feel deeply ashamed that I forgot to vote, but at least it worked out okay.

Hey, Aussies, is your government system like that of Britain? With a Parliament and whatnot?

MottZilla
11-10-2006, 01:29 PM
I'm hoping the democrats will focus their attention on undoing the damage the republicans did and not doing, well... all the things they do that I don't approve of. That's the reason I went democrat when I wasn't sure. Whatever, right now I'm optimistic that at least things might get better than before. I remember being depressed when Republicans took complete control.

I hope they work on fixing all the things they fucked up too. Ofcourse there are things the democrats are associated with that I don't like. The first thing that comes to mind is many tend to be anti-guns. Where as I ofcourse enjoy guns very much. But I don't think that's the issue currently and not anytime soon. It's all about Iraq and home issues like wages, healthcare, etc. I'm still bothered about the new nazi judges on the Supreme Court though.