PDA

View Full Version : Castlevania Movie

{DSG}DarkRaven
11-05-2006, 11:08 PM
http://www.gamespy.com/articles/743/743783p1.html

Tentative titled "Crapstlevania", the film is being directed by Paul W.S. Anderson, who was the main man behind that wonderful piece of film known as Alien Vs. Predator. He also directed another classic movie, Mortal Kombat. Clearly, this will be another fantastic movie from this brilliant, brilliant man. Halo, eat your heart out.

Or, not. I swear, if this guy ever teams up with Uwe Boll, the universe will fold in on itself and all life will cease to exist.

MottZilla
11-06-2006, 02:25 AM
You forgot to mention the first Resident Evil movie. By the way, I thought the original Mortal Kombat movie was pretty good and still pretty good to watch still. Ofcourse I like most everything Mortal Kombat. Hopefully they'll come out of this with a good movie for CV though. I just have to imagine that is the best that could be done because you can't just assume it'll be great by having relation to a great video game. So they have a good starting point but it's still up to them to make an enjoyable movie on it.

goKi
11-06-2006, 08:31 AM
Or, not. I swear, if this guy ever teams up with Uwe Boll, the universe will fold in on itself and all life will cease to exist.

Time for a boxing match!

Warlock
11-06-2006, 11:41 AM
I dunno, initial stuff from the makers of this I read sounded not hopeful at all. I don't recall exactly what they said, but it was basically they want to turn this into some Dracula origin story or something wierd like that. The only promising thing I heard was that Vampire Killer is in the movie (and if that was missing, what would be the point?)

Edit:
http://movies.ign.com/articles/743/743515p1.html

A number of new details have emerged about the Resident Evil and Mortal Kombat filmmaker's approach to the project. Anderson's script reportedly spans many time periods but mostly takes place in 15th century Transylvania. The movie is described as a fresh take on the Dracula legend, taking it back to the beginning with the story of Romanian prince Vlad the Impaler.

"You could almost call this movie Dracula Begins, Anderson told Variety.

Rogue co-president Andrew Rona says the movie is an "action/horror project in the vein of Underworld and Blade." He adds that the studio is hoping to turn Castlevania into a franchise.

Benedict Carver, president of co-backer Crystal Sky, says, "This is not what you'd call a typical videogame movie, it's a legend with a strong romantic element."

As in the game, much of the movie's drama is expected to be played out within Dracula's castle, a story element that appeals to Anderson. "Ever since I made Event Horizon, I've been obsessed with the idea of a location that's a character in the story, of being trapped in an environment that's out to get you," Anderson told the trade.

Anderson also says that the game's gothic visuals and eerie music will serve as his inspiration for the look and sound of the film.
I don't know where I read the part about the whip being in there, but I definately read it.

vegeta1215
11-06-2006, 01:05 PM
You forgot to mention the first Resident Evil movie. By the way, I thought the original Mortal Kombat movie was pretty good and still pretty good to watch still.

I really liked the Mortal Kombat movie too - I think it's probably one of the best, if not THE best video game movie out there. Resident Evil was okay. The premise was interesting (since it doesn't follow the exact same story as the game), but I thought the whole "queen" computer idea was stupid, and the Licker looked really fake. (I haven't seen the second RE movie, but I heard that one was really terrible)

punkonjunk1024
11-06-2006, 02:34 PM
ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
You can't make a movie out of castlevania case closed wtf

Mitsukara
11-06-2006, 02:43 PM
You can't make a movie out of Castlevania unless you sign Kevin Sorbo (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001757/) to play Richter Belmont!

"Tribute?! You steal men's souls! And make them your slaves!"

Richter's English dub voice actor would work too.

*runs far, far away and hides*

Seriously though, I'm not optimistic about things like this. I'm scared of most videogame movies. If this movie doesn't at least have a Belmont main character in some way, and is solely about Dracula, then the connection to Castlevania is too negligible.

I predict suckage, but we'll see.

ShadowTiger
11-06-2006, 03:02 PM
If there was a castlevania movie, my first expectations would be for them to make about a thousand candles, filling most of them with little red feathers in the shape of hearts. There would be flashy silvery blue cross-shaped boomerangs, little axes and weigh surprisingly much, and very light-weight daggers and explosive blue potions. (And a flying book. O.o' ) Good luck summoning the skeletons for it though.

Actually, I'd kinda like Soma Cruz to get involved in there. He's a rather important part of the plot where applicable. Damn cool too.

Mitsukara
11-06-2006, 05:48 PM
I suspect the movie will revolve around Dracula's origins and him building an army. There may be some ugly, bad actor trying to be an antihero named Simon Belmont or something who has a whip and there'd be gore, explosions, and pointless melodrama.

If things like subweapons appeared in any form, they'd inevitably be used in completely the wrong way and overdramatized. "DRACULA CANNOT STAND THE POWER OF THE HOLY CROSS!!!1111" *sticks a cheesy CGI-enhanced prop on Dracula's skin* "Noooooooooooooo! it burrrrrns!"

This speaking purely from other examples of how good video games are usually adapted into movies.

Now... if they wanted to really surprise people by paying attention to the real plot/games/system of the whole thing instead of making some ambiguous "Dracula rises to power and faces a monster hunter guy" BS movie, I would think they could base it very strongly on the storyline of Lament of Innocence. That could work quite well.

Grasshopper
11-06-2006, 07:58 PM
If he's the director, I would imagine something like Van Helsing + Blade. Bleh...

MANDRAG GANON
11-06-2006, 08:53 PM
Apparently Jonathan Frakes (Commander Riker) Is supposed to be in the movie as a grandfather of someone or something. I pray it will be good but saying they want it to be something like Underworld or Blade makes me want to stab myself in the face.

{DSG}DarkRaven
11-07-2006, 10:34 AM
Odds are, it will not be just some guy whipping things for two hours and then having some dialogue with dracula before whipping him a lot, eating a turkey, watching him turn into something bigger, and then whipping him some more.

Really, I'm surprised that nobody but Grasshopper made the Van Helsing connection. The similarities will be very hard to avoid indeed. Perhaps the only way to really make the movie enjoyable would be to borrow from that film, I doubt people will refrain from making the comparrison once the movie comes out. And I doubt they'll be very kind to it, either.

Warlock
11-07-2006, 11:59 AM
Apparently Jonathan Frakes (Commander Riker) Is supposed to be in the movie as a grandfather of someone or something. I pray it will be good but saying they want it to be something like Underworld or Blade makes me want to stab myself in the face.

"CASTLEVANIA! INCREASE TO WARP 6! ENGAGE!"

ZTC
11-07-2006, 12:52 PM
The only way you'd get me to see a Castlevania movie if it was an anime OAV (maybe a Japanese live-action movie, but unlikely)

punkonjunk1024
11-07-2006, 04:53 PM
Well, after how freaking good silent hill is... Maybe we could hope he'd take a few notes, and really understand how to intepret a game as a movie.
Because that's an exact, perfect example. It took in the core of the game, not the stupid trivial parts of the game. I think a videogame movie shouldn't be a tribute to the gamers who play it, but instead draw people to the games, as silent hill did for me.
Anyway I'm gonna go have sex with my silent hill movie