PDA

View Full Version : Funny IGN PS3 Mailbag

Warlock
11-03-2006, 02:11 PM
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/742/742497p1.html

I thought I would just link this because it's hilarious. Read the first two posts on there - crazy diehard PS3 fanboys :D I love the one guy that says PS3 is selling for 3x normal price on eBay, but Wii is only selling for 2x, therefore PS3 is better (hint moron: PS3 is selling for more because supply is MORE LIMITED than Wii!)

WindStrike
11-03-2006, 05:35 PM
... what a total idiot! I just don't understand this much: Why do people buy PS3s off of eBay if they cost a lot more? Same with everything else. I mean, if the PS3s are selling for 1800... who the heck is actually going to buy that?

Not only is that, but the simple brand name of the PlayStation so powerful that Nintendo and Microsoft will have no chance.
LOL
It's true that the XBox sounds lame and the Wii sounds a little dumb (At least you can't say: Wii sucks! without hitting yourself.), but the PlayStation sounds just as bad. These are my rankings for the system names:
-1) Wii
-2) PlayStation
-3) Xbox
Now... for originality:
-1) NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
-2) Xbox, Xbox 360
-3) PlayStation 1, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3
... wow... it's almost as bad as naming a movie like: ???: The Movie. ... originality, people.

Sure, I'm a large fan and supporter of the Sony brand, because they consistently deliver -- but how can someone honestly say, someone who has enormous experience in the industry, that the Wii will sell the most consoles? Also as for your roundtables, you guys need to be more controversial -- give us some statements that the viewer might disagree with. Matt from the Wii channel tried to stir up some interesting statements but ultimately fell flat.
Bold text.

MottZilla
11-04-2006, 02:32 AM
Actually I think Xbox is the best console name of the 3. Wii is better than "Playstation" which honestly sounds like kiddy trash.

Warlock
11-04-2006, 04:35 PM
I think he was refering to the Xbox vs Xbox 360 and Playstation vs. PS2/PS3 unoriginal "let's add a 2 to the end" names :P

Not that Nintendo didn't used to do this (Nintendo, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64) but at least they starting coming up with original names with the GameCube :P

And yeah, Playstation is a pretty gay name when you think about it. Where did they even get the "station" part? That doesn't even make sense.

Kingboo30
11-04-2006, 10:47 PM
What complete douche-bags. Shows how much of idiots of Sony's followers are trying to up their-selfs.

beefster09
11-05-2006, 12:05 AM
You can't deny it. Playstation SUCKS! Nintendo will dominate...:unhappy: As soon as microsoft stops buying out all of the second/third party developers. (They've already hit Rareware) Playstation is the crappiest name... EVER! PS3 will suck! Sony has no originality, whatsoever! The SNES button layout was the first of its kind, and now they're copying the motion sesitivity. They have never even tweaked their button layout. They never made a drastic change to the shape of the controller. The graphics aren't even anti-aliased. Don't waste your money on playstation. PERIOD.

Kairyu
11-05-2006, 12:20 AM
As soon as microsoft stops buying out all of the second/third party developers. (They've already hit Rareware)
The thing is, Rare just wasn't really "Rare" anymore when that happened. Most of the best people on the team had already left.

Playstation is the crappiest name... EVER!
How about Wonderswan?

They never made a drastic change to the shape of the controller.
Actually, yeah, they did. They tried to make a boomerang thing. Then everyone said it looked stupid (which it did) so they changed it back.

Warlock
11-07-2006, 03:03 AM
I finally got a chance to watch the video they are talking about in that mailbag:
http://media.games.ign.com/articles/693/693580/vids_1.html

It's #29 on there. Watch it, it's pretty good. It's funny because the PS3 guy basically gets schooled the whole time.

An example:
Matt (Wii): So I was looking at a lot of games at e3, and noticed they just generally looked better for the 360. PS3 is running at 1080i, but the games were all slow and didn't look nearly as nice as the 360 versions
Jeremy (PS3): Uhh.. well remember, PS3 can also play PS2 and PSX games!

He also admits that PS3 basically has one game worth buying at launch :P

PS3 pretty much gets owned in that.. Matt basically snipes at the guy the whole time which is kind of funny. "Oh yeah, did you hear we made the Toys R' Us Hot List? First console ever to do that.. yeah.." :D

AtmaWeapon
11-07-2006, 10:44 AM
That's a very good question, and thus far, none of our contacts at Sony know the answer to it. The reason? Backwards-compatibility isn't available in the firmware that editors and PR contacts have been messing around with, so there's no way to test it just yet.This article is dated approximately 2 weeks from the system launch and an important feature is not included on any of the test units that anyone owns.

I'm sure it will work perfectly at launch.

Warlock
11-07-2006, 11:54 AM
This article is dated approximately 2 weeks from the system launch and an important feature is not included on any of the test units that anyone owns.

I'm sure it will work perfectly at launch.

Haha yeah I thought the same thing. Though I haven't heard anything about how well Wii plays GC titles yet either (though I *do* believe the hardware can play them right now, as I've seen the little spinning GC disk on menu videos.. just no one seems to bother talking about it)

Grasshopper
11-07-2006, 01:24 PM
An example:
Matt (Wii): So I was looking at a lot of games at e3, and noticed they just generally looked better for the 360. PS3 is running at 1080i, but the games were all slow and didn't look nearly as nice as the 360 versions
I saw something the other day about that. Some little video online similar to this roundtable discussion.

Grant Collier of Infinity Ward said:
This Christmas you're going to start seeing 2nd generation Xbox 360 games, where the PS3, they're how we were. Making a game with one arm tied behind your back. Now for Xbox 360, the development is documented, the hardware is final, you're going to see people really tricking out the system with the games that are coming out.
Sony's first generation games are coming out head to head with Xbox 360 second generation games.
So, but I think in general, most gamers are going to be comparing apples and oranges. And they're just going to think, this is a game and this is a game and not really clue into the fact that developers are on their second generation of making games on the 360 versus the guys who are playing catch up on the PS3

I thought that was an interesting counter-point to what Matt said.

Warlock
11-07-2006, 02:07 PM
Right they sort of touched on that in the video (after the complete sidetrack from the PS3 guy). I understand the difference, but I doubt most consumers will. They'll just see the two kiosks side-by-side, and say "Wow, the PS3 stuff looks like crap compared to this 360 version".

But generational hardware points aside, I do believe the PS3 has been an absolute bitch to develop on for most developers. Whereas 360 is essentially as easy as developing for PC (uses DirectX and all that jazz). So I imagine the lag time for developers to really catch up to 360 quality is going to be pretty great, if they can catch up at all.

Also, IIRC I think I heard other than perhaps the higher TV output (1080i - which almost no one has anyways), 360 is a slightly more powerful machine than PS3. I think it had to do with a lack of efficiency in the PS3 hardware. But don't quote me on that.

Cloral
11-07-2006, 02:23 PM
I think you mean 1080p. And the 360, thanks to a system update, can now display 1080p. I think there's some sort of restriction on when it can display 1080p, but I don't recall what it is off the top of my head.

Warlock
11-07-2006, 03:21 PM
I think you mean 1080p. And the 360, thanks to a system update, can now display 1080p. I think there's some sort of restriction on when it can display 1080p, but I don't recall what it is off the top of my head.

I don't think there is anything even capable of displaying 1080p yet (or very, very little).

And I thought the 360 thing was only for movies - upconverted.