PDA

View Full Version : wtf happened to the Wii launch games?

punkonjunk1024
11-02-2006, 01:42 AM
OK, so I stopped following wii for a bit. Now I can't find a goddamn launch list, but a little bit of searching has shown that SSBB is OFF, and Metroid prime 3 is OFF, and wtf...
Well... what the hell. Why are so many launch games put off? Can someone please link to an accuratel aunch game list, and try and sell me on some of the games? I watched a thing for redsteel, which I was explained that it would be a SWORD FIGHTING GAME kind of similar to bushido-blade, and it's what nothing but fracking FPS? No swords at all in the preview video? wtf is going on?

And how about twilight princess? How will that utilize the wii's capabilities?
I'm still very excited for system, and how unique it is... but everything I was excited to play is gone. :(

goKi
11-02-2006, 02:13 AM
We've known for ages that SSBB, Mario Galaxy, and Metroid Prime 3 were off. Mario and SSBB are not finished, and they're just taking some time to fine tunes MP3 in order to not flood the market. Plan is to let Zelda steal the show on launch.

punkonjunk1024
11-02-2006, 02:19 AM
I'm glad they're fine tuning them, but... I want it. :(

Do you have an accurate launch list? And... anything we're excited about, besides zelda?

goKi
11-02-2006, 02:28 AM
There's only one other really exicting game coming out on launch day. Red Steel. I'm kinda disappointed at the lack of Metroid on Launch. Glad they're holding Mario back a bit, though.

punkonjunk1024
11-02-2006, 02:29 AM
You know, I was excited... until I saw it was basically a fps. I thought it was basically going to be a sword fighter. :/ I wasn't too hyped up with what I saw.

Darth Marsden
11-02-2006, 04:01 AM
Here. (http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=11507)

Incidentally, Red Steel has always been an FPS with a few sword-fighting sections. Do keep up at the back there.

Grasshopper
11-02-2006, 11:31 AM
There's only one other really exicting game coming out on launch day. And that would be Excite Truck, right? Just look at that name. With a name like that, it has to be exciting.

Seriously, I did hear it was pretty fun. They still have quite a bit of titles for launch (32), even if they do have an over-abundance of movie/cartoon tie-ins.

Warlock
11-02-2006, 12:05 PM
SSBB and Mario were never *on* to begin with.

Orion
11-02-2006, 12:09 PM
Granted, I was kinda hoping for Metroid, but it's delay does ensure that there won't be as long a drought in the spring. That and I'm sure they'll polish it up a bit more.

If this is getting you down... just remember what the GameCube launch lineup was like :P

Dechipher
11-02-2006, 12:20 PM
Granted, I was kinda hoping for Metroid, but it's delay does ensure that there won't be as long a drought in the spring. That and I'm sure they'll polish it up a bit more.

If this is getting you down... just remember what the GameCube launch lineup was like :P

The irony is that Luigi's Mansion would be perfect for Wii, but no one would buy it.

vegeta1215
11-02-2006, 01:23 PM
The irony is that Luigi's Mansion would be perfect for Wii, but no one would buy it.

Miyamoto once mentioned "remaking" some Gamecube games with Wii functionality - I'm sure if they do that Luigi's Mansion will be one of them.

Why do you say no one would buy it? I would buy it. Luigi's Mansion is a really fun game, that's suitable for everyone. Also, it's in the top 10 list of highest grossing games for the Gamecube (I'm sure being a launch title helped this, but still)

Grasshopper
11-02-2006, 01:51 PM
Luigi's Mansion was an awesome game. I don't know why it got such a bad rep.

Warlock
11-02-2006, 03:00 PM
The only reason Luigi's Mansion got a bad rap was because people expected a Mario game at launch and felt cheated (esp given GC's relatively crappy launch lineup). It was also fairly short.

Anyways, I'm pretty sure I heard they were doing a sequel for Wii.

punkonjunk1024
11-02-2006, 03:22 PM
luigi's mansion was sweet.

I haven't followed it for quite a while, thats why the brawl and corruption thing shocked me so much.

Also, I was explained the idea of red steel by some retard at gamestop, I hadn't bothered to look up more about it until just recently. :/

Orion
11-02-2006, 03:56 PM
I'm still trying to figure out what the big deal is about Brawl. I guess I've never been much of a Smash Bros. fan.

punkonjunk1024
11-02-2006, 04:21 PM
God hates you. :(

Honestly... SSB games have a really unique cast... and the gameplay is my absolute favorite of any fighting game ever. I'm not a fan of how... stupid and combo oriented games like mortal combat and street fighter. Granted, I liked killer instinct. Really... games like ssb really shine as fighters, to me. *shrug* it's all preference, though.

MottZilla
11-03-2006, 12:35 AM
Launch titles:

The Ant Bully
Barnyard
Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII
Call of Duty 3
Cars
Elebits
Ennichi no Tatsujin (Master of Festivals)
Excite Truck
Far Cry: Vengeance
The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy
GT Pro Series
Happy Feet
Kororinpa
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Machi Kuru Domino
Madden NFL 07 EA Canada
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
Metal Slug Anthology
Monster 4x4 World Circuit
Necro-Nesia
Need for Speed: Carbon
Open Season
Rampage: Total Destruction
Rapala Tournament Fishing
Rayman Raving Rabbids
Red Steel
SpongeBob SquarePants: Creature from the Krusty Krab
Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz
Super Swing Golf
Tamagotchi's Sparkling President
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Double Agent
Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam
Trauma Center: Second Opinion
WarioWare: Smooth Moves
Wii Play
Wii Sports
Wing Island
World Series of Poker

There are also Virtual Console titles.

I'm gonna grab Zelda and Red Steel launch day. I'm glad they delayed MP3 because it gives it time to get online play. And while only Zelda and Red Steel are what I'll buy off the bat, there are several others I will try.

*b*
11-03-2006, 05:23 AM
So wait, Zelda is a release title? I've always seen the release date as after the Wii is released... where did you find this out?

...Not that I'm complaining, of course

erm2003
11-03-2006, 06:30 AM
The GC version of Zelda isn't coming out until December. The Wii title is going to be available with the Wii on the launch day.

Orion
11-03-2006, 07:13 PM
I kinda wonder what the logic is on not releasing Wario Ware at launch. It would be such a good game to showcase the Wii's abilities, and while it's one of the bigger franchise, I don't think it's one that they really ought to save and hype up. Just give it to us now and let us entertain our friends...

Kingboo30
11-04-2006, 10:55 PM
The GC version of Zelda isn't coming out until December. The Wii title is going to be available with the Wii on the launch day.

I'm still pissed off by the fact I stupidly preordered the cube version, and that Nintendo for some odd reason is holding it off. Though I do plan to get......I dunno actually. Though I did preorder for free, I kind want to cancel but when I do, they'll be sold out and I have to pay quite a bit for the Wii version as it'll probably be sold out by I get there a day later or so. O_O. Curse me not preorder a Wii and not having a car to camp out.

Warlock
11-04-2006, 11:39 PM
I kinda wonder what the logic is on not releasing Wario Ware at launch. It would be such a good game to showcase the Wii's abilities, and while it's one of the bigger franchise, I don't think it's one that they really ought to save and hype up. Just give it to us now and let us entertain our friends...

It's probably not done...

Grasshopper
11-08-2006, 12:47 AM
What's Wii Play? I've seen it, but what is it? Is it a game? Does it come built into a controller?

And while we're on launch games... I wonder how Elebits will be? What do you guys think? Is it a some quirky sleeper like Katamari Damacy?

{DSG}DarkRaven
11-08-2006, 10:04 AM
SSBB and Mario were never *on* to begin with.

True as true, Warlock. Am I the only other person who remembers this? These games were never launch titles. Maybe I'm not thinking straight, but I don't recall MP3:C being a launch title either. Metroid was a holiday '06 title, and the other two are Q1 for '07.

Tygore
11-08-2006, 10:44 AM
Metroid Prime 3 was originally billed as a launch title, but was pushed back some time ago. Mario and SSBB were always '07 titles.

Warlock
11-08-2006, 12:33 PM
Metroid Prime 3 was originally billed as a launch title, but was pushed back some time ago. Mario and SSBB were always '07 titles.

Right. The deal with those last two:

SSBB - extremely briefly mentioned when the console was announced. They said "they were working on a new smash bros" and that "they were hoping to finish for launch". There was never a confirmation there that they would, and when the game was officially announced they specifically said 2007.

Mario - Miyamoto said he didn't know when it'd be done. And I think they were *shooting* for launch but all signs basically pointed to it not being ready yet. But it was always generally stated as a "TBA 2007" type deal.

punkonjunk1024
11-08-2006, 05:23 PM
so... are we looking at a possible january-febuary launch for these games?
Could we possibly expect some kind of price-drop in the system by then?
I doubt it, but you know... christmas. :P

Orion
11-08-2006, 07:17 PM
I'd imagine Metroid will be out in January/February. Mario will probably come in the summer, and Brawl will probably come in the fall.

Warlock
11-08-2006, 08:42 PM
I'd imagine Metroid will be out in January/February. Mario will probably come in the summer, and Brawl will probably come in the fall.

Brawl might be sooner - they have been working on it for quite awhile. And besides, the formula hasn't really changed much meaning development should be quicker than something completely new (esp stuff using the wiimote)

punkonjunk1024
11-09-2006, 12:26 AM
I might get it at launch, but it looks like I might be waiting till around then. :P

Orion
11-09-2006, 09:19 PM
Brawl might be sooner - they have been working on it for quite awhile. And besides, the formula hasn't really changed much meaning development should be quicker than something completely new (esp stuff using the wiimote)

I dunno, I haven't seen any actual gameplay yet... just a couple trailers. We've at least seen gameplay of Mario and Metroid. You'd think if it was farther along, people would have played it by now.

As much as I don't care about Brawl, and as much as I want Mario ASAP, I kinda hope it's a Christmas season 2007 title. I'd be afraid it'd end up like Sunshine if it released during the summer (the launch seemed kinda obscure when they launched it for GameCube, although, the game itself wasn't that great either).

Nimono
11-09-2006, 10:06 PM
Well this is just great! Now my wishlist is ruined! I'll have to wait until NEXT year to get the Wii if the only game I'm going to get for it is Twilight Princess! I'm not a fan of any of those other games. I was kinda hoping Metroid Prime 3 and Super Mario Galaxy would be available on Launch. My parents expect me to get ONE Wii game this year (they don't seem to remember the whole "You can download retro games to the Wii!" thing...), and I REALLY don't want Twilight Princess yet... But, why is WarioWare on that list of launch titles when the next poster said that it's NOT on that list?

Kairyu
11-09-2006, 11:47 PM
I dunno, I haven't seen any actual gameplay yet... just a couple trailers. We've at least seen gameplay of Mario and Metroid. You'd think if it was farther along, people would have played it by now.
Actually, the latest trailer did have several gameplay segments.

Warlock
11-10-2006, 12:15 AM
Actually, the latest trailer did have several gameplay segments.

The first trailer even had a couple :P

Imprisoned
11-10-2006, 08:18 AM
Actually, let's put it just this way.

Wii comes 8th of December
Twilight Princess GC comes 8th of December too

The launch title actually means it will come before January, it says so on the finnish Nintendo site.

Super Mario Galaxy will come before January 1st
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption will come before January 1st
Twilight Princess Wii will come in 2007, that is sure.

Warlock
11-10-2006, 12:15 PM

The launch title actually means it will come before January, it says so on the finnish Nintendo site.

What? No...

MottZilla
11-10-2006, 01:17 PM
Wii comes out on the 19th in USA, Dec 2nd in Japan, 7th in AU, 8th in Europe.

I'm pretty sure Mario Galaxy, Metrod Prime 3, and SSBB will all be sometime in 2007, with Metroid Prime 3 being early 2007.

Breaker
11-10-2006, 01:36 PM

uh... huh?

MottZilla
11-10-2006, 01:52 PM
uh... huh?

He's Finnish, what do you expect?

Warlock
11-10-2006, 02:29 PM
I noticed the Finnish, hence why I didn't question the Wii dates specifically, but the rest made no sense. Why would Mario and Metroid come out this year? And Zelda in 2007?

AtmaWeapon
11-10-2006, 02:43 PM
Yeah honestly I interpreted the shows I saw as "We have 37 playable games and a ton of launch titles. Also we'll be making a new SSB and Metroid and Mario and Zelda so you'll be sure to eventually want a Wii."

The launch lineup doesn't really catch my eye but I still want to get a Wii pretty fast.

Dechipher
11-10-2006, 06:04 PM
Luigi's Mansion was fun the first time through, no doubt about it. There's a good nostagia factor to it now as well. However, playing through it again is just boring as shit to me.