PDA

View Full Version : Time Zones: Coordination Vs Sunlight:

ShadowTiger
11-01-2006, 10:44 AM
The Article (http://www.slate.com/id/2152155/?GT1=8805)

Would the United States be better off with only one time zone?

Here's a fraction of the article. Read the rest for yourself; it's not that long.

Any resident of Queensland in Australia can assure you of this. Queensland doesn't switch to daylight-saving time when the other east-coast states do, but some Queenslanders simply get out of bed earlier in the winter to stay in sync. Or consider the states in northern Mexico, which align their time zones with the neighboring U.S. states rather than the rest of the country, even down to the idiosyncrasies of whether daylight-saving time is observed.

All that creates a problem. Not every Queensland resident synchronizes with the rest of the country, which means that neighbors will be out of sync with each other. The Californian demands that the barista rises early, which might also lead to demands for early rising by the barista's wife, bus driver, nanny, or mailman. Perhaps it would be better for the United States and Australia to mimic China in having a single, unified time zone. That would get everybody in sync with each other, although not with the daylight. So, which is more important—coordination or sunlight?

So, which is more important to you? Coordination of times, or Sunlight? Personally, I'd pick Coordination in a jiffy. I'll wake up whenever the hell the sun will rise and then someone. I don't care about it, really. We have like, six alarm clocks. I'd rather say a time, and have everyone just KNOW what that means, and now have to hear any more about "Good morning Todd." "It's the afternoon here." "Oh, sorry man."

AtmaWeapon
11-01-2006, 11:49 AM
Actually I was just thinking about this the other day. See now that I play an MMO time coordination starts getting kind of important. GMT is used so everyone can pretty much figure out when to do what, but daylight savings time makes me have to try to remember if I'm -6 or -5 based on the current time of the year.

Honestly I think time zones are not a big problem; if I'm dealing with others in the US so long as the time zone accompanies the time we're all used to having to convert between the US zones anyway. For worldwide conversions, so long as GMT is used by all there's not so much confusion. I set my organizer to display both my time and GMT so I can easily tell what time it is in both zones.

The bigger problem to me is daylight savings time; I'd much rather they shift work hours than clock hours so coordination with GMT would be less complex; If instead of falling back you move standard working hours from 8-5 to 7-4 you'd achieve the same effect but not have to move your clocks :)

Cloral
11-01-2006, 02:35 PM
Time zones aren't a problem. If you live on the west coast of the us (as I do), you get used to subtracting 3 hours from the times of all live televised events. And timezones don't pose any problem if everyone in the area is on the same time zone. From the quoted article it sounds like the problems are when people spontaneously decide to run on another time zone than the one officially used in the area.

KJAZZ
11-03-2006, 02:19 AM
No, I think Time Zones really need to stay. I'm strongly against Daylight Savings Time though. I like it just the way it is right now.