PDA

View Full Version : Do You Perfer Hot or Cold?

Monica
10-30-2006, 01:10 AM
Well, the long, warm summer is ending (well except for is Australia, I know it's just starting up) and it's slowly getting chillier.

I very much perfer hot (between 80 and 90F) to cold. I'm usually pretty miserable during the winter, in certain circumstances, and it never even snows here, and I wonder what it's like up north! :eek:

What about y'all?

Mitsukara
10-30-2006, 01:32 AM
I like cold better usually.... being near something warm in a cold area is pretty awesome. Outright freezing cold can get bad.

My ideal weather is about 60 degrees, strong wind with a windchill of like, 10-15 degrees, a bright gray overcast sky, and fairly dry. Rain is nice at times, but I prefer to be inside during it.

Breaker
10-30-2006, 01:45 AM
Cold. LIKE MY HEART.

Daarkseid
10-30-2006, 01:56 AM
I very much perfer hot (between 80 and 90F) to cold. I'm usually pretty miserable during the winter, in certain circumstances, and it never even snows here, and I wonder what it's like up north! :eek:

I think I prefer the fall, where its cooling off, but its not yet freezing. Also, the trees in our neighborhood make the whole area look gorgeous until around the middle of November.

Winter sucks because its freezing cold, and theres never any snow(here in Boise). I could put up with the cold if there were a blanket of snow making the landscape pretty, but instead we tend to see what little snow that drops quickly melt, turn brown grey, and form ugly piles of slush along our roads.

Dechipher
10-30-2006, 02:04 AM
Cold. You can always cover up more but there's only so much you can take off. The only thing I don't like about the cold is the wind.

Rainman
10-30-2006, 02:21 AM
Oh fuck I hate cold. I'm at my most comfortable when I'm able to relax around the house with nothing but shorts and underwear on. Of course I don't like it too hot.

goKi
10-30-2006, 02:34 AM
Cold. Come spend summer with me if you say anything different.

Modus Ponens
10-30-2006, 02:50 AM
I'm all about the cold. When it's cold, you bundle up. When it's hot, you suffer. Winter is my favorite season.

Rainman
10-30-2006, 03:01 AM

Try out a long new england winter sometime.

goKi
10-30-2006, 03:12 AM
it's easier to shield yourself from cold than hot. Seriously, summer down here is deadly.

Skulkraken
10-30-2006, 06:29 AM
I live on a tropical island, so it's damn hot all-year-round. I want to see (non-artificial) snow at least once in my life.

erm2003
10-30-2006, 06:33 AM
Cold. For all the reasons mentioned above. You can always dress warmer, but when it's hot all you can do is sweat it out sometimes. But let's be fair. Weather in the high 60s or low 70s with no humidity is perfect. It just mainly sucks when the humidity is high.

Yoshiman
10-30-2006, 07:31 AM
I prefer Autumn or Spring weather. I can't stand the extremes. But I would much rather be cold than hot. I tend to get a lot more irate when it's 90 out and humid. >_>;

Nicholas Steel
10-30-2006, 08:32 AM
cold, its logically easier to get warmer, then colder with less energy expenditure.

Aegix Drakan
10-30-2006, 08:49 AM
I like the heat. Canadian Winter is often cruel...and it lasts so damn long!

And trust me, you'll begin to HATE snow if you've got to shovel a ton of it off your driveway every morning or evening...

The only things Snow is good for are Skiing and snowballs.

Beldaran
10-30-2006, 09:22 AM

I say something different.

I purposely moved 2500 miles from Washington State (cold) to Texas (very hot) so that I could enjoy the benefits of warm weather. I've lived in southern california, arizona, and now Texas so I very much doubt your part of Australia is so hot that I would suddenly die. Maybe it's hotter than those three places, but not by much because except for maybe Iraq, not many places get much hotter.

I love the warm weather. I hate the sting of cold. You get so freezing, and so you bundle up but your hands are still cold so you put on gloves but then you can't do anything with your fingers. Also, you get too hot if your physically active while bundled up so you remove a layer but then you're stung by the cold. Gah, I just hate it.

To me, there's nothing quite so wonderful as 70 degrees F on Halloween. =)

When it's cold, you bundle up. When it's hot, you suffer.

This is typically Washingtonian. Waco Texas is WAY more hot than Washington (obviously) and yet my most miserable heat experiences are all in Washington. Why? Because you people have apparently not caught on to the fact that air conditioning EXISTS. Of course you will be miserable in 80 degree heat with no air conditioning. I'm perfectly comfortable in 110 degree heat because my AC is set to 74. lol There's nothing so refreshing to me as the gentle caress of conditioned air that is cool and refreshing on a hot day.

ShadowTiger
10-30-2006, 09:56 AM
To me, there's nothing quite so wonderful as 70 degrees F on Halloween. =)It's going to happen this year too. :p ... Particularly around New York.

I stand with Rainman and Yoshiman on this one. I dislike the extremes quite a bit. Being in New York, we get all of the pleasantries of mild weather, but with all of the extremes mixed in and all jumbled up. There are often stretches of several weeks with a 50 degree difference.

One thing I dislike about the extreme heat: It saps your energy. I don't really mind being sweaty, as everyone else around you is sweaty too, and they can sympathize. But then all of your energy gets drained out from moping around in the heat, and you're too tired to do anything about it. Again, the removal of articles of clothing issue pops up yet again in a briefly mentioned sentence.

In the extreme cold, it saps not at your energy, but at your mere will to live. There have been some particularly brutal winters out there whose wind force has been so overwhelming that I wanted to climb into my own pockets and sew shut the opening more than I wanted to breathe. No matter how much clothing I put on, the cold always seems to get in and mercilessly rape my every orifice.

Goddamn cold. I'll take a nice warming rainy spring day any week of the year, thank you.

lord_jamitossi
10-30-2006, 11:15 AM
Cold = Snow = Skiing = Fun.

'nuff said.

Master Ghaleon
10-30-2006, 11:20 AM
I am a winter fan, I rather be cold then hot and sweating like a pig

Archibaldo
10-30-2006, 11:32 AM
I prefer the heat. Mainly because being cold makes you sick. The only time I like the cold/snow is anytime before christmas. Once christmas is over, the cold/snow is just a nuisance

ZTC
10-30-2006, 01:41 PM
I love the cold. (not the kind of cold that freezes your ass off, mind you)

I am a winter fan, I rather be cold then hot and sweating like a pig

fun fact, pigs don't sweat :p
I've always wondered why people use that phrase anyways...

Monica
10-30-2006, 01:55 PM
I say something different.

I purposely moved 2500 miles from Washington State (cold) to Texas (very hot) so that I could enjoy the benefits of warm weather. I've lived in southern california, arizona, and now Texas so I very much doubt your part of Australia is so hot that I would suddenly die. Maybe it's hotter than those three places, but not by much because except for maybe Iraq, not many places get much hotter.

I love the warm weather. I hate the sting of cold. You get so freezing, and so you bundle up but your hands are still cold so you put on gloves but then you can't do anything with your fingers. Also, you get too hot if your physically active while bundled up so you remove a layer but then you're stung by the cold. Gah, I just hate it.

To me, there's nothing quite so wonderful as 70 degrees F on Halloween. =)

This is typically Washingtonian. Waco Texas is WAY more hot than Washington (obviously) and yet my most miserable heat experiences are all in Washington. Why? Because you people have apparently not caught on to the fact that air conditioning EXISTS. Of course you will be miserable in 80 degree heat with no air conditioning. I'm perfectly comfortable in 110 degree heat because my AC is set to 74. lol There's nothing so refreshing to me as the gentle caress of conditioned air that is cool and refreshing on a hot day.

100% agree. The most comfortable for me is about 85 degrees with an air conditioner on 60. At summer camp in 80+ I was perfectly content to stay outside all day and when we went back in the cabin, for some reason, the air conditioner would be freezing but it was good when I got used to it.

Mitsukara
10-30-2006, 02:05 PM
I purposely moved 2500 miles from Washington State (cold) to Texas (very hot) so that I could enjoy the benefits of warm weather.
I'm quite probably going to do the opposite; I live in Texas and am planning to move to Washington. For personal reasons, not really because of the weather, though from first impressions it sounds like I'd like it better.

I'm interested- what's your perspective on the weather there? From other people I've talked to about it, it seems the sky is overcast more often than not, it rains a lot, is fairly windy, and is usually not warmer than 70 except in the hotter parts of summer. But I don't know how cold the winters get, nor how hot the summers may get.

In the part of Texas I live in it's hot and sunny; the main question is whether it's humid or dry. In December it can get kinda cold, maybe below freezing, and the coldest month is usually January or February. It never snows more than two or three times a year, and sometimes not at all, and it always melts away within 48 hours. The coldest common weather is about 15 below freezing and dark and sleeting with an overcast; the hottest is 107 and humid as hell and sunny. Mmm, rainforest.

Jigglysaint
10-30-2006, 02:23 PM
I hate temperatiure exteremes. The cold is nice when it's hot out, and warmth is great when it's very cold out. Too hot, and I sweat big time, and too cold and I have to bundle up, and I don't like bundling up too much. I also don't like snow if I have to walk though it.

Fall and spring are my favorite times of the year. This year has been pretty good so far, because all we've had was a big rain storm, while Norther Ontario(I live in Southern Ontario) got a huge snow storm, the same one that came crashing into Buffalo a couple weeks ago. For us, no snow yet, and last winter was the warmest on record. Thank goodness for Global Warming!

Prrkitty
10-30-2006, 02:48 PM
Middle part of Washington (Moses Lake, Wenatchee and the tri-cities (Kennewick, Richland and Pasco)) can be pretty hot in the summer (90's to 100's+) and humid as heck. And the winters can be cold and horrid. Springs and falls can be mild or extreme depending on weather patterns.

Northwest part of Washington around Seattle, Bellevue, Bellingham and Bremerton have milder summers (but can still get so hot as to require an AC to be comfortable) and colder winters (since these cities are closer to the jet streams that come out of Alaska).

The far eastern part of the state, Spokane (Coeur d'Alene, Idaho - sister city to Spokane), Washington and Pullman (Moscow, Idaho & Lewiston, Idaho), Washington, can all see extreme weathers for summer and winter. Paul and I have lived in Moscow and have families in Coeur d'Alene and a best friend in Lewiston. Better have long johns for the winter and some form of AC for the summers.

Paul and I have also lived in Vancouver, Washington for a few years and were miserable in the summers because pretty much NONE of the apartment complexes believe in any form of AC at all. Most of the nights would cool down a good bit so you could open the windows and pull the cool air thru and it would be comfortable (during the night anyway). Some nights though during the hottest part of the summer it wouldn't cool down at night at all. A window AC is highly recommended for comfort.

We now live west of Portland, Oregon and the temps here are pretty much the same as when we lived in Vancouver, Washington and we have an AC in the dining room window (to cool off the living room, kitchen, dining room and hall way) and we also have a unit in our bedroom window (that's the furtherest away from the other window AC). Lately summer temps have had 100s+ for a few weeks at a time and I feel really sorry for those that don't have any form of AC.

The winter months here can be cool or cold, depending on what the jet stream is doing to the wind directions and weather patterns.

I have lived in South Carolina, Idaho, Washington and now Oregon and I can say that I'd NEVER go back to live in South Carolina. The hot weather there is so miserable as to make life almost unbearable... even if you do have an AC. Where I live now is about 2 hours from the coast of Oregon, 2 hours from Mt. St. Helens, about 2 hours from Mt. Hood and about 3 hours from Seattle.

I can go from city life to rural to outright country living in a very short drive in any direction from where I live now and I think heaven is here on earth and is right where I live.

Tygore
10-30-2006, 03:17 PM
I personally prefer the cold, which is odd because I went to college in San Antonio (where in August you can cut the humidity with a knife). Go figure.

Beldaran
10-30-2006, 06:38 PM
I'm interested- what's your perspective on the weather there?

Well, I lived there for 16 years, so here's my take:

Western Washington is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. It's green, mountainous, and dotted with crystal blue lakes, plus it lies on the ocean, which is awesome. However, it's just too cold for my taste. It's not dry cold like say, colorado. It's wet socks cold. Everything is damp for 8 months a year. Plus, it's so far north that it gets REALLY dark during the winter. During December it's cloudy for about 8 hours, and it's dark for about 16. So if you work 9-5, you don't see the sun for two months.

The weathere there avoids extremes, however. It never gets cold enough to have horrible snow storms (it does snow but not that bad and it melts quickly), and there are few wind storms and other severe weather. It just sort of drizzles all year until July. Then it's hot until September and then it gets real cold and starts drizzling again.

Here's my vague rememberance of the climate throughout the year: (temps in degrees F)

September: mostly sunny until the latter half, when it starts to be real chilly in the early part of the day and just cool by afternoon. Some rain, but not to bad. Temperatures range from 40-70

October: Frequently windy or breezy, with frost in the mornings and daily temperatures from 40-60

November: lots o' rain, wind, and chill. Temps from 35- 50

December: Bundle up, bitch. And bring your umbrella. 25-40

January: Brrrrr.... plus rain. 20-40

Febuary: Lots of rain, but not as cold 35-45

March-June: Temperatures range from 40-70 with tons of rain and grey skies
July- August: Hot 70-90

The cold is worse than it would be in a place like Colorado because of the wetness. It's not as literally cold, but the wet air just bleeds the warmth out of you. It's chilly, make no mistake.

Don't let me discourage you though. I have negative feelings about the cold and the rain, but Washington really is quite nice. Like I said, it's beautiful and full of interesting cultural things to see and do. Ride the ferry, go skiing, have sex with a cute girl with dark hair and a lip ring, visit the Jimi Hendrix museum and watch the Seattle Seahawks collapse as a team year after year. :)

KJAZZ
10-31-2006, 02:15 AM
I like it cooler rather than warmer, and I would outright pick freezing over scorching any day. Especially if it's humid.