PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 price drop anytime soon?

biggiy05
10-29-2006, 11:47 PM
The holidays are coming up and that usually means price drops on a lot of things. Anyone know if the 360 is going down in price? I'd really like to get one but the $400 price tag is keeping me away along with the $60 games but I can live with that.

Any idea on the holiday price or is it sitting at $400 all winter?

Warlock
10-30-2006, 12:11 AM
I really, really doubt it.

Grasshopper
10-30-2006, 12:51 AM
I wouldn't be surprised to see it drop next year before Christmas, but this year? Nah... I think Microsoft is still sitting pretty clean with PS3 costing $100-200 more. They don't really have a need to drop it.

Breaker
10-30-2006, 01:12 AM
What are some good games for the Xbox 360? I really don't know very much about it all. I'd consider buying one, but I'm not sure if I'd get that much out of it.

Matteo
10-30-2006, 05:25 AM
What are some good games for the Xbox 360? I really don't know very much about it all. I'd consider buying one, but I'm not sure if I'd get that much out of it.

If you get one we could play with each other =0

good games:
oblivion, dead rising, lumines... and sports games. i also like the arcade games like doom and gauntlet.

Breaker
10-30-2006, 12:20 PM
If you get one we could play with each other =0

I bet you'd like that.

but yeah.. does it cost anything to play online with other people?

Cloral
10-30-2006, 01:14 PM
A one-year subscription to Live costs $50. There is talk though that because Sony's online service is free, MS may have to make Live cheaper or free.

MottZilla
10-30-2006, 02:48 PM
Don't expect a price drop this holiday season. They will probably drop the price sometime in 2007. Right now there's no reason to drop the price cause they don't feel they are competing with Wii, and PS3 is virtually non-existant in supply.

Here are some games out for 360:
Perfect Dark Zero
Dead Rising
Gears of Wars (November 9th)
Oblivion Elder Scrolls
Call of Duty 2
Chromehounds
Far Cry Instincts Predator
Lost Planet: Extreme Condition (January 2007)

Coming Later on:
F.E.A.R.
Grand Theft Auto 4
Assassin's Creed
Resident Evil 5
Fable 2
Halo 3

I wouldn't mind Xbox Live being cheaper.

Warlock
10-30-2006, 05:02 PM
I wouldn't mind Xbox Live being cheaper.

They might *have* to cut the price of that soon. With two absolutely free online services competing (esp. Nintendo having the Virtual Console to compete w/ Xbox Live Arcade), they will have to do something to maintain customers.

MottZilla
10-30-2006, 05:06 PM
I doubt anyone would leave XBL over 50$ a year. XBL so far is the king of online services. One thing that I've not yet heard of from Nintendo is anything about a headset and VOIP, Sony I'm sure will have some kind of headset for online play. Really I don't think XB Live is going to have to worry about Sony's online service or Nintendo's online service. But like I said, I wouldn't mind a price reduction before I'm billed again. ;)

Orion
10-30-2006, 06:16 PM
I don't think Microsoft will reduce Live fees any time soon. With only a fraction of people having a PS3 for the first half of next year, and Nintendo not having any online games until some time until 2007 (save for the Virtual Console), it doesn't really have that much competition in that aspect.

Anyone who wants a 360 should look for my ebay auction. It's going at a $300 reserve and a $400 buy it now for the premium unit, an extra wired controller, and 3 games.

biggiy05
10-30-2006, 06:48 PM
I don't have any money to bid on your Xbox right now Orion or else I would buy it. If by some freak chance it doesn't sell let me know.

Warlock
10-30-2006, 10:13 PM
I doubt anyone would leave XBL over 50$ a year. XBL so far is the king of online services. One thing that I've not yet heard of from Nintendo is anything about a headset and VOIP, Sony I'm sure will have some kind of headset for online play. Really I don't think XB Live is going to have to worry about Sony's online service or Nintendo's online service. But like I said, I wouldn't mind a price reduction before I'm billed again. ;)

Right, I think we will have to see exactly what they do. But I could forsee at least 3rd parties demanding something from Nintendo in regards to headsets, etc.

Nicholas Steel
10-30-2006, 10:41 PM
any info on whether the virtual console uses standard roms or not? caus if it does then that would own... hope its possible to hack it to allow such a thing if by default it doesnt :P

Orion
10-30-2006, 11:47 PM
any info on whether the virtual console uses standard roms or not? caus if it does then that would own... hope its possible to hack it to allow such a thing if by default it doesnt :P

I wouldn't count on it... Nintendo is all about this whole anti-piracy thing.

Warlock
10-31-2006, 01:07 PM
Yeah, I see almost no chance of you being able to hack it. I'm sure Nintendo will have the roms encoded in some way that can prove ownership (i.e. like when you buy MP3s from some places, how they won't work on other computers and sometimes cd burners).

You might be able to break the encryption code, but the virtual console's emulators are built into the system - I think it'd be rather hard to get a rom working specifically with your system on those (not to mention, who knows what Nintendo could actually be monitoring with a constant internet connection on there)

Grasshopper
10-31-2006, 01:54 PM
Speaking of 360...where are all the games?

I thought Microsoft said there were a lot of games that would be out for it in the first year. Its approaching Christmas, and I don't see anything big on the horizon, other than Gears of War. The system has been out a year, I just figured it'd have something more to show for it.

biggiy05
10-31-2006, 02:09 PM
How about game suggestions. Shooters, action, shooters. Anything that would seem good list it.

MottZilla
10-31-2006, 03:05 PM
Here are some games out for 360:
Perfect Dark Zero
Dead Rising
Gears of Wars (November 9th)
Oblivion Elder Scrolls
Call of Duty 2
Chromehounds
Far Cry Instincts Predator
Lost Planet: Extreme Condition (January 2007)

Coming Later on:
F.E.A.R.
Grand Theft Auto 4
Assassin's Creed
Resident Evil 5
Fable 2
Halo 3

There are more...

Warlock
10-31-2006, 04:28 PM
Heh, I played a demo for Chromehounds.. that game sucked :P I hate games where you move freakin' slow like that.