PDA

View Full Version : PSP to Play PS3 Games?

Warlock
10-26-2006, 10:27 AM
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/741/741716p1.html

Kawanishi revealed to Famitsu that Sony's plans go beyond just media viewing, though. In the future, Sony hopes to allow players to play PS3 games remotely via the PSP. While Kawanishi didn't get into specifics, we imagine the PSP being used just to display game footage sent to it by the PS3 and send back controller data input by the player.

This type of connectivity has apparently been on the cards for some time. Kawanishi noted that he had such a system in mind when making the PSP's aspect ratio identical to that of high definition televisions, 16x9.

I don't see how this could possibly work. Even run as a video stream, you're talking about a delay which could make some games unplayable. And either way, what is the point? You'd have to be close to your PS3 to do it effectively (no way they are going to stream entire games, including video and audio, over the internet). Is it for people who, after buying both a PSP and PS3, have no money left for a TV?

Also, LOL at this:

Kawanishi also commented on region free software. This feature, which has been confirmed by various Sony reps in the past, is indeed a reality. "It's often been the case that past game systems would have a region code system, and would not play overseas games," explained Kawanishi. "However, PlayStation 3 game software does not have this region code. In other words, if you can get your hands on overseas software, you can play as is. There are exceptions, however, so SCE does not make guarantees about operation."

"Yes.... if you can get your hands on it before we shut down more import sites!"

Tygore
10-26-2006, 11:19 AM
I think the PSP-PS3 connection is akin to the GBA-GC connection Nintendo has (and will have with the Wii and DS). In other words, another Nintendo idea that Sony will probably implement poorly. The import thing is funny, though.

vegeta1215
10-26-2006, 11:30 AM
With all the people that bashed Nintendo on how expensive it was to use the GBA->GC connection features, it makes me wonder how people will react to this news if it's true.

ZTC
10-26-2006, 11:54 AM
Seems to be a waste of more money to me. (or anyone else with a sane mind)
I'd rather use $1000 to build myself a new computer, order a Wii and get a few games for it, with money left over. v_v

AtmaWeapon
10-26-2006, 01:19 PM
I think it's another one of those "hey let's throw brainstorms we haven't tested at the press to appear we are forward thinkers" moments. Unless they have stumbled upon some super-fast wireless technology and managed to incorporate it into the PSP while keeping it secret from their competitors this is something that is a ways off.

I hope we do get remote display capability soon though; it'd be nice to have a gigantic noisy horse of a PC and dump it in a well-ventilated closet somewhere, then put the monitor in another room so I can enjoy games in peace.

MottZilla
10-26-2006, 01:41 PM
The idea behind it could work to some extend but more importantly there ever so important and innovative "SixAxis" wouldn't work via the PSP. Oh yes and the PSP has fewer buttons, a shitty dpad, and only 1 annoying analog control input.

Warlock
10-26-2006, 01:44 PM
The idea behind it could work to some extend but more importantly there ever so important and innovative "SixAxis" wouldn't work via the PSP. Oh yes and the PSP has fewer buttons, a shitty dpad, and only 1 annoying analog control input.

Right. How much do you wanna bet like a month from now they'll come out and say "Oh, we only meant for blu-ray movies" or something :D