PDA

View Full Version : Overworld name?

Imprisoned
10-24-2006, 10:52 AM
Hey I'm starting a new quest and I need a name for the overworld...

any suggestions? My head is completely empty.... :scared:

Cepat
10-24-2006, 12:20 PM
Hey I'm starting a new quest and I need a name for the overworld...

any suggestions? My head is completely empty.... :scared:

How about Emptiness Empire? :cool:

Imprisoned
10-24-2006, 12:46 PM
Lol I don't think that suits a Zelda game... :D

Luigi
10-24-2006, 03:15 PM
If all else fails, use "Hyrule"...

DarkFlameWolf
10-24-2006, 03:16 PM
If I can get away with names like Galea, Nevachrea, Glathriel, etc. You can get away with other names as well. Just come up with something whacky! :P

C-Dawg
10-24-2006, 04:16 PM
Darkflamewolf has selected the "Everquest" approach. This is fine, but a much more satisfying approach to coming up with names is to take a hint from effective storytellers, from classic authors to Tolkien to Squaresoft. Do a little research on what themes or character you want to develop in whatever you are naming. Do some research into mythology or history to find some fitting names, or choose names that are clever given the point of the thing being named. Use names to communicate something interesting to the player, not just your ability to substitute vowels.

LinkMaster500
10-24-2006, 09:00 PM
In addition to references to ancient history and mythology, how about this for a suggestion: Use the names of worlds from other games.

You could fall back on "Hyrule," but don't be afraid to make your quest somewhat non-Zelda-esque.

Cloral
10-24-2006, 11:13 PM
Knowing the roots of words is a good idea too. If you know how words are constructed, you can build a word that conveys a meaning you want without it being a real word.

_L_
10-25-2006, 04:55 AM
Funnily enough, most of the famous fantasy realms that first spring to my mind have relatively benign names. "Middle-Earth". "Earthsea". "The Land".

Then again, there's also "Majipoor" and "Melniboné". So it takes all sorts.

(I don't recommend using "Hyrule", simply because it implies that at least some of Hyrule's defining landmarks - Death Mountain, Lake Hylia, the Lost Woods - are going to appear in it.)

Tacomaster22
10-25-2006, 05:17 AM
Jigan?

There's some sort of name generator floating around on some website you can download.. might be useful. However, i think it's for character names only..

Imprisoned
10-26-2006, 05:41 AM
DarkFlameWolf's Galea sounds good and I'd also use a world built from parts of other places' names... thanks for help