PDA

View Full Version : Sony really has it out for Europe...

Kairyu
10-23-2006, 03:45 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6160339.html
The games may be region-free, but it sounds like the system isn't. You already know there'll be no PS3 for Europe until at least March 2007, but did you know that anybody who tries to get one there early will be in legal trouble?

Warlock
10-23-2006, 04:51 PM
lol, I bought Famicom Classics: The Legend of Zelda from Lik-Sang (you know, before the NES Classics series came to the US - Zelda has so little text that I don't mind the japanese, it's actually a little neat).

Tygore
10-23-2006, 07:25 PM
But how do you EVER figure out where secret is? Or what Dodongo dislikes?

MottZilla
10-24-2006, 05:30 AM
I'm not sure what you mean. The system itself if Japanese or North American, is expecting around 110v AC. Also it'll have a cable with a NA/Japan style power plug. In Europe you'd need a step down convertor. This is nothing new. Also you'd need a TV that can handle any NTSC video signal you require.

Also their stance on games and region restrictions isn't entirely clear. It seems to me PS3 titles will have the option of being multi region. But previous PS1 and PS2 titles will only play on a matching PS3 system. This is my understanding from what I've read. I don't know why anyone would import a PS3. Hell I don't know why anyone would plain buy a PS3. It's not that amazing. Infact it's not at all.

goKi
10-24-2006, 07:28 AM
....Hell I don't know why anyone would plain buy a PS3. It's not that amazing. Infact it's not at all.

What are you talking about, n00b. it's a PlayStation! That means it's really really good. Hell, i'd buy one even if i didn't have any games because its got the bluray.

Nicholas Steel
10-24-2006, 08:26 AM
the game demos look awesome... but alas that doesnt make me want to spend 600$/1000$ on just the console and 1 game.... id go for the wii instead or maybe the xbox 360... considering how much better the xbox is over the ps2... god i hate my ps2... the quality sucks balls... the xbox has graphics pretty damn close to what my pc can do... but of course at the standard tv res...

MottZilla
10-24-2006, 12:28 PM
Your PS2, if it's a PSTwo, is also chinese garbage and will break down on you easily. If you have a japanese PS2 models 5 through 10, you might be ok for awhile. But ya the PS2 system itself sucks. The PS2 games, there's alot of good ones, but few great ones. And it's only a weak platform that became the standard because of previous success.

The Xbox 360 does indeed rival or blow away most people's PCs. Esspecially if those people don't generally use their PC's for high end gaming.

Kairyu
10-24-2006, 02:23 PM
I'm not sure what you mean. The system itself if Japanese or North American, is expecting around 110v AC. Also it'll have a cable with a NA/Japan style power plug. In Europe you'd need a step down convertor. This is nothing new. Also you'd need a TV that can handle any NTSC video signal you require.
I was reffering to their policy of pressing charges against anybody in Europe who tries to import a PS3 from another country as contradicting their 'region-free' policy. It's not about whether or not the system will work in Europe, it's about Sony trying to make it illegal for Europeans to get a PS3 until at least March 2007.

Edit: Geez, they're even admitting their systems are trash:

Sony told GameSpot in a statement that it would be moving to block any other retailers who were involved in similar "grey importing" activities, and explained its actions were protecting European consumers "from being sold hardware that does not conform to strict European Union or UK consumer safety standards."

Kingboo30
10-24-2006, 03:36 PM
As I said, Sony is rather desperate to save itself while the general public is completely unaware what is going on with Sony.

MottZilla
10-24-2006, 05:33 PM
Actually, Sony is insulting importers. They say you're too stupid to understand how to hookup a NTSC system in a PAL territory. Thus Sony thinks you are retarded. Isn't that nice of them?

Sam Atoms
10-24-2006, 07:33 PM
I'm reminded of a line in an album by Big Audio Dynamite, which goes "Been 20 years at Sony and I can see 20 more". That song was released in 1986, so while Sony may have been going real strong at the time, their 20 years are just about up.....

Nicholas Steel
10-24-2006, 11:48 PM
Your PS2, if it's a PSTwo, is also chinese garbage and will break down on you easily. If you have a japanese PS2 models 5 through 10, you might be ok for awhile. But ya the PS2 system itself sucks. The PS2 games, there's alot of good ones, but few great ones. And it's only a weak platform that became the standard because of previous success.

The Xbox 360 does indeed rival or blow away most people's PCs. Esspecially if those people don't generally use their PC's for high end gaming.

its not a thin pstwo its a ps2... and how do you know what generation/model/version it is? as i can find the version numbers of the software but what you said about generation doesnt match up with any of the info found with the software.

MottZilla
10-25-2006, 12:16 AM
The version numbers are rather strange, but they do infact refer to certain revisions in the hardware. The model number however is only part of figuring out your version number. Sometimes the software (dvd/psx driver version numbers) can be used to help find out about your version number.

Drunken Tiger
10-25-2006, 09:59 AM
lol, I bought Famicom Classics: The Legend of Zelda from Lik-Sang (you know, before the NES Classics series came to the US - Zelda has so little text that I don't mind the japanese, it's actually a little neat).

Lik-sang..... :cry:

Sony killed it. No more cheap games and free shipping. Damn you Sony. Damn you.

Limzo
10-25-2006, 10:34 AM
Y'know, if you tried to put an American electrical anything in European plug socet, it would litterally fry.

Warlock
10-25-2006, 11:02 AM
Lik-sang..... :cry:

Sony killed it. No more cheap games and free shipping. Damn you Sony. Damn you.

Wow I didn't know they closed. Sony can burn in hell.

Incidentally, for another opinion on the matter:
http://www.1up.com/do/userFeedbackDetail?cId=3154630&r=7562723&ct=NEWS

Saying SONY sucks then why are you even here. If you wasn't scared (of PS3) you wouldn't of wasted your time with a sutpid post. Nintendo and Xbox is for kiddys The PS3 is for real men. Have fun with your pokemon and FAGlo(halo) you suck in more ways than one. Got go playing GTA sorry if I made you look like a bit**.

"Oh noes!11 What was I do withought my FAGlo???1111" :D

Cloral
10-25-2006, 12:59 PM
Well if you wasn't scared of people saying sony sucks then you wasn't've made post in anger.

Seriously. People who talk like that need to be shot. They're the reason we can't have a reasoned discussion about anything in this country anymore.

Aegix Drakan
10-25-2006, 01:25 PM
*reads second opinion*

...And it's brainless numbskulls like this who will flock to the PS3 in droves, and who will be singing it's praises even if it sucks crap.

either that, or the guy was a Sony Rep. Wouldn't surprise me one bit.

MottZilla
10-25-2006, 02:40 PM
Y'know, if you tried to put an American electrical anything in European plug socet, it would litterally fry.

Actually there are some other factors. Some devices can take both 220v AC and 110v AC. But just like in america, you don't want to plug your 110v device into a 220v outlet. The thing is in europe they for whatever reason have all 220v outlets. But they do have step down devices for that. Also, to plug a North American/Japanese device in, I think you'd need an adapter as they should have different plug shapes, but I could be wrong.

Anyways, it's just like I said, Sony either thinks importers are retarded. Or they want to strongarm them into waiting. So buy a 360. ;)

Nicholas Steel
10-28-2006, 05:31 AM
holy crap... guess how much twilight princess costs here in AUD... $99.95... and there are other games at around $110.... i thought the games where gonna be cheap -.- oh and the wii console is $399...

Revfan9
10-28-2006, 12:26 PM
But you forget franpa: 1 AUD is worth quite a bit less than 1 USD. Although I would think that you would make much more AUD than we would make in USD, but the actual numbers are probably the same, knowing the crap economic system of today.

MottZilla
10-28-2006, 02:36 PM
Actually Revfan, if you do the currency exchange rates, AU clearly pays more than we do. First thing to consider is that in AU they have tax included in the price. We do not. Next you might have higher importing taxes. Finally, they are probably screwwing you cause they can.

jessethe2nd
10-29-2006, 08:52 PM
Just hop a plain fly to the US, buy a few thousand wii consoles... smuggle em back and sell em all for profit. Then take that money and buy a ps3 and put it on ebay, Instant millionaire.

Aegix Drakan
10-29-2006, 10:54 PM
Just hop a plain fly to the US, buy a few thousand wii consoles... smuggle em back and sell em all for profit. Then take that money and buy a ps3 and put it on ebay, Instant millionaire.

Wow. Sounds like a plan! But somebody would probably shut you down for that...Especially Sony.

I don't think they would be delighted that someone is using THIER "property" to make a profit. Heck, aren't they making some weird policy where you don't actually OWN the games you buy, and therefore can't sell them? I think that would apply especially to the console itself...

Correct me if I'm wrong...

MottZilla
10-30-2006, 05:03 PM

Uh, Wii will go on sale in AU only about 2 weeks after it goes on sale in the US. The market for imported US Wii systems would be small. The only people that would buy one would be active US Software importers.