PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Even More Rare?

Warlock
10-20-2006, 05:25 PM
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3154562

Just this week, Sony re-confirmed previous assertions they'd be shipping one million PlayStation 3 units to North America by the end of the year. Including Japan, that number becomes two million, and including the European launch next March, that becomes six million worldwide. Are these numbers realistic? Even Sony admits they're not definite in an article on Bloomberg this morning. Oops?

"The honest answer is it's [our worldwide shipment numbers] more of a target," said Sony Computer Entertainment America exec. VP Jack Tretton. "Clearly we've had production issues."

We imagine the reason shipment numbers for the launch -- 400,000 in the US, 100,000 in Japan -- are so low are because they're accurate. The question's whether production will ramp up enough to maintain the rest of their announced targets. Can you hear the collective moan of gamers drowned out by the cries of victory from eBay users?

While it was kind of obvious that was a target, he doesn't seem very optimistic that they'll make it. I wonder if more people who preordered won't get a system than planned. I think it'll be interesting to see if anyone posts the *actual* numbers at launch.

Orion
10-20-2006, 05:55 PM
In other news, IGN has reported that Nintendo has cut back on its shipment estimates of 4 million before the end of the year. Nintendo now says it will only be able to ship 3,999,999 units at launch. Oh, calamity!

In other words, who cares? We already know PS3's will be hard to come by for launch. Most places have already said you're preorder deposit is for a spot in line, not for a unit itself.

MottZilla
10-20-2006, 05:59 PM
Pretty much more of the same old news. Can't say I care either.