PDA

View Full Version : Starcraft Ghost

Masamune
10-19-2006, 09:03 AM
..What the fuck happened to you? :(

Does anyone know what became of this project? It looked cool as shit.

Grasshopper
10-19-2006, 11:02 AM
It got canned as far as I know.

vegeta1215
10-19-2006, 11:07 AM
Sure looks that way: http://xbox.gamespy.com/xbox/starcraft-ghost/698419p1.html

But, maybe they're better off leaving the Starcraft brand alone. The original game is perfect.

Dechipher
10-19-2006, 12:10 PM
I swear I'm geting DejaVu from this thread.

Warlock
10-19-2006, 12:33 PM
It was cancelled.

But really that was just a fancy way of saying:

"Sorry, this game took forever to make and all the current-gen consoles are dead. We're going to try and port it over to the next-gen consoles."

Just wait until maybe next e3, they'll re-announce it for 360 and PS3, maybe even Wii this time (it was originally for GC but they cancelled that version.. but a Wii version would kick so much ass)

WindStrike
10-19-2006, 03:32 PM
Note that a lot of people at Blizzard left the Starcraft and Diablo teams for whatever reason. That's probably most of the reason for why it's cancelled. So pretty much, Blizzard is focused primarily on WOW... twould be very nice to either hear Diablo III, Warcraft IV, or Starcraft II to be announced after the Burning Crusade expansion is released. If another expansion for that game is announced instead... I don't know what I'll do.

Beldaran
10-19-2006, 03:51 PM
My hypothesis is that they 90% finished Star Craft: Ghost and realized it was WAY less fun than Starcraft and didn't want the name attached to such a clunker of a game. Starcraft was awesome, but personally I was NEVER excited for Ghost. It just seemed like another bullshit too-hip-for-you 3rd person contemporary adventure basket of turds.

gdorf
10-19-2006, 04:13 PM
My hypothesis is that they 90% finished Star Craft: Ghost and realized it was WAY less fun than Starcraft and didn't want the name attached to such a clunker of a game. Starcraft was awesome, but personally I was NEVER excited for Ghost. It just seemed like another bullshit too-hip-for-you 3rd person contemporary adventure basket of turds.

Thats how I felt, too. The game would be fun for a couple of hours as you see all the Starcraft models large and in detail, but the novelty would wear off and you'd be stuck with a FPS.

I respect Blizzard for cancelling the project. I buy most (every?) one of their games because I know they'll be good, and I'd hate it if they ruined that for me.

Warlock
10-19-2006, 04:25 PM
Note that a lot of people at Blizzard left the Starcraft and Diablo teams for whatever reason. That's probably most of the reason for why it's cancelled. So pretty much, Blizzard is focused primarily on WOW... twould be very nice to either hear Diablo III, Warcraft IV, or Starcraft II to be announced after the Burning Crusade expansion is released. If another expansion for that game is announced instead... I don't know what I'll do.

What? No.. *Some* people from the Diablo team left like 3-4 years ago. They had *nothing* to do with Ghost. At all.

Secondly, no they're not. Blizzard (South) has two teams. ONE team is focused on WoW. Another is developing a new game. There is also Blizzard North (Diablo guys) who are working on something. In either case, none of these teams had anything to do with Ghost.

Now, Ghost was developed originally by Nihilistic. After Blizzard decided they didn't like that company (I believe they all quit half-way through or something), they gave the project to Swinging Ape Studios, whom they actually bought out in 2004. The game was cancelled a year later in 2005.

I 100% guarentee you it's purely because PS2/Xbox are dead. It's not profitable to make it for those systems anymore.

There is a wiki about it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StarCraft:_Ghost

Of course wikis suck so take as much of that as fact as you want to believe.

MottZilla
10-19-2006, 05:37 PM
I really would love to see a well done and thought out StarCraft "Ghost" game. But look at the screenshots to SC Ghost here: http://www.blizzard.co.uk/ghost/ScreenShot.aspx?ImageIndex=50&Set=0

I'm glad they didn't complete it and release it. There's no way it could have stood up from the looks of it. Plus the market right now is quite full of FPS/Shooters, so only the very best really survive.

mikeron
10-19-2006, 05:55 PM
Blizzard is making so much damned money in the MMO world, I doubt that they care about anything else. Also, I'd rather see StarCraft 2 than Ghost.

MottZilla
10-19-2006, 06:05 PM
StarCraft 2 would be nice, but then I'd probably have to upgrade my pc. But ya I too would rather another Craft RTS than another FPS game.

AtmaWeapon
10-19-2006, 11:28 PM
I found my Battlechest box when cleaning my room during the summer and it had an ad for Ghost in it. "Coming 2003" lol

Grasshopper
10-20-2006, 12:23 AM
Of course wikis suck so take as much of that as fact as you want to believe.

I find this comic fitting to your remark. :thumbsup:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2005/20051216h.jpg

AtmaWeapon
10-20-2006, 01:45 AM
This is the new Duke Nukem Forever. http://www.atmaweapon.org/images/emot/shobon.gif

Kairyu
10-20-2006, 11:14 AM
This is the new Duke Nukem Forever. http://www.atmaweapon.org/images/emot/shobon.gif

How can there be a new one if we haven't had the old one yet?

AtmaWeapon
10-20-2006, 11:19 AM
How can there be a new one if we haven't had the old one yet?Because DNF is going to be bundled with Windows Vista!

Grasshopper
10-20-2006, 12:13 PM
CEO said that DNF is still a couple years off. At least 10 years of development...wow. So nothing will ever be considered a DNF.

Kairyu
10-20-2006, 02:35 PM
Because DNF is going to be bundled with Windows Vista!
You only get 1/3 credit for this one. To get full credit, you'd need to mention the fact that it's also going to be a launch title for the Infinium Labs Phantom.

Modus Ponens
10-20-2006, 06:59 PM
Okay, seriously, here, is DNF actually going to come out? I mean, honestly, is it?

Grasshopper
10-21-2006, 01:04 AM
http://www.duke4.net/news.php

KaiserSoze has brought to our attention that the CEO and founder of 3D Realms, Scott Miller, has commented on Duke Nukem Forever in a recent audio podcast. The highlight of his discussion on the game is as follows:

- [3D Realms] hired too much talent that wasn't experienced. Slowed down the process.
Now hiring talent with at least 8-10 years experience. He's amazed at the talent that's recently been hired.

- They've never given up on Duke Nukem Forever. Canceling the game has never really been discussed (when that question was posed to him).

- The game will be fun. The developers that have been hired recently have been blown away by what they've seen of the game.

- Thinks the game will live up to expectations though no game will ever live up to a long development history such as DNF. However, he's confident the fans/gamers will be satisfied with it.

- Marketing for the game will begin 10-12 months out. Basically when we finally see new stuff, we'll be a year out from playing the game.

- Still "When it's done" but light is slowing coming in the tunnel. Most likely a couple years yet.

For those who are interested, Scott also talks about the sequel to Prey, his opinion on Steam and Valve's products, and other information concerning the game industry. Thanks for the heads up, Kaiser!