PDA

View Full Version : I'm Having Surgery Tomorrow

Monica
10-17-2006, 07:24 PM
I've had a swollen ankle since July, but it doesn't hurt at all. I went to the Dr for it in August and he stuck a needle in it without numbing it and drew fluid. (extreme pain btw :eek: ) He's not excatly the best Dr... We thought maybe I injured it so we left it alone all of September but it never healed, and I had an MDA clinic appointment October 3rd so I went and that Dr told me it was a Senovial cyst and I should get it removed ASAP, so I went to an orthepedics Dr and he'll do surgery on it tomorrow.

I've had tons of surgeries so I'm not worried. Quite a few in that particular hospital, so I know what to expect and it's familiar. :) It's out-patient.

Have you had surgery before? If so, what was your last one for and what happened? (if it's not too personal of course)

erm2003
10-17-2006, 07:31 PM
I have had wisdom teeth removed and that's it. I have been very fortunate. Good luck tomorrow. At least it's something that won't keep you in the hospital too long.

ZTC
10-17-2006, 07:39 PM
G'luck with that surgery.
As for myself, I've only had 2 surgeries; one over 10 years ago to remove my tonsils and adnoids, the other to remove my wisdom teeth around 5-6 years ago. Really nothing special about em. :shrug:

moocow
10-17-2006, 07:42 PM
I had my adnoids out when I was 6/7 years old. I was terrified. I had a tumorish thing removed from my wrist when I was 10 years old, and I was scurred. And last I had my gall bladder removed a little over a year ago. I wasn't really scared, just wanted the pain to stop, which, you know, required the surgery.

Monica
10-17-2006, 09:26 PM
What are adnoids? I still have my tonsils and I think I was born without my appendix and I've never broken a bone, lol.

Aegix Drakan
10-17-2006, 09:30 PM
wow. Good luck with the operation Monica!

Me? let's see...I had my adnoids removed when I was a kid, freaked the hell out of me. I don't consider having my wisodm teeth removed an operation ( I had 'em ripped out summer before last). I just consider it one hell of a dentistry job. >_< I could not talk for 2 days, and I couldn't eat anything other than chicken soup for a few days...

Breaker
10-17-2006, 09:34 PM
EWWWWww. FOOT GANGLIONS. (http://www.zfootdoc.com/_borders/Ganglions2.jpg)

BTW, are they really doing surgery, or are they just going to cut it off in the office? You'll probably be awake and just have to take a local anesthetic to the foot while they drain the synovial fluid. It's definitely nothing to get worked up or worried about.

Beldaran
10-17-2006, 09:36 PM
I hope everything goes well. I had a vasectomy this summer, which was freaky because I was awake the whole time. (local anesthetic)

moocow
10-17-2006, 10:40 PM
What are adnoids? I still have my tonsils and I think I was born without my appendix and I've never broken a bone, lol.

I have no clue, I just remember the doc telling me they went through my nose to get them o.O lol. Every doctor I've ever had thinks it's crazy that I don't have my adnoids, but I still have my tonsils. IT'S NUTS.

Hm.

http://hcd2.bupa.co.uk/images/factsheets/adenoidectomy.gif

Adenoids, they're called. And...

Adenoidectomy

What are the adenoids?

The adenoids are two small lumps of tissue that lie on either side and at the very back of the throat, where it meets the back of the nose. The tissue that makes up the adenoids is called 'lymphoid tissue', which means that it contains white blood cells of the immune system. In childhood the adenoids are probably useful in developing immunity against infections; however, later on, and certainly in adult life, it is unlikely that they play any role in maintaining health and they usually shrink until they disappear.

What is an adenoidectomy?

Between the ages of two and six years old, the adenoids can often swell up and become inflamed (possibly due to a viral infection). This can make it difficult to breath, especially when asleep. Swollen adenoids can also block the eustachian tube, a tube that connects the back of the throat to the middle part of the ear. Blockage of the eustachian tube can lead to a condition called 'secretory otitis media' or, more commonly, 'glue ear'. This reduces the child’s hearing until the blockage is relieved. The operation performed to remove adenoids is called an adenoidectomy.

Swollen adenoids are often associated with tonsillitis (infected tonsils) and are usually removed as part of an operation to remove the tonsils.

Sometimes adults have recurrent trouble with breathing that is occasionally diagnosed as 'swollen adenoids'. However, this is extremely unlikely and the problem usually has a different cause, such as allergic rhinitis.

What are the reasons for having an adenoidectomy?

Adenoids are removed if they block breathing through the nose and/or if they cause repeated earaches or deafness.

I had lots of ear aches, hard time breathing, and bloody noses. I still get bloody noses, but not like I did when I was little. My nose used to bleed in the middle of the night, and my parents and the doctor were afraid I'd... drown in my blood... o.O True story. They thought that removing my adenoids would help, which it did for the most part.

Anyhow..

Monica
10-17-2006, 11:02 PM
EWWWWww. FOOT GANGLIONS. (http://www.zfootdoc.com/_borders/Ganglions2.jpg)

BTW, are they really doing surgery, or are they just going to cut it off in the office? You'll probably be awake and just have to take a local anesthetic to the foot while they drain the synovial fluid. It's definitely nothing to get worked up or worried about.

Nope, true surgery. I went and got my blood test yesterday. The Doctor said surgery and never mentioned an office operation, but I would have rejected it anyway because when I was 12 I had a cyst on the side of my forhead and I went to a literally insane doctor (he died later cause he had a desease that made him insane) who had his nurses literally hold me down on the spot and he cut it out right then. He numbed it but it wasn't enough and it wore off as he was stitching it, and he ruptured a bloodvessel and blood splurted out all over him (someone had covered me face with a cloth at least) And I was screaming bloody murder. (Rather literally...) Believe me, I'd have something to worry about. Now I kind of panic when they do something in the office, including when the doctor drained it in August. Surgery's a LOT easier for me to handle than in-office...:sweat:

And thanks, Moocow, I have nose bleeds every once in awhile but not bad like that...awww :(

Prrkitty
10-17-2006, 11:08 PM
Good luck sweetheart. :)

Last surgery I had was my gallbladder in 2002. Went off without a hitch :) Before that was my wisdom teeth (both sides). And before that in Nov 1994 my right hand for carpel tunnel and Feb/March 1995 was my left hand.

And more then that... too many to mention.

biggiy05
10-17-2006, 11:20 PM
Pectus Excavatum a.k.a. chest reconstruction in 2001.

They untwisted my sternum, cut out a good amount of cartilage, re inflated my lungs, sawed the tips of my ribs off, moved some stuff around, and put two drainage tubes in. Spent four days in the hospital and was out of school for a little over a month.

Similar surgery coming up again soon once my health insurance clears it. Cheap bastards..

This time around they are putting two stainless steel rods in. One under my arm pit and the other just above my stomach. One bar goes in from the left side and the other goes in from the right. They are going to use a camera so they can see where they are going and if they need to anything else.

My first surgery didn't hold up since I started getting taller post surgery so everything moved forward and my heart shifted off to the side and down. Small space between my spinal cord and heart, lung capacity is shot, and I'm just generally fucked up health wise.

One week minimum in the hospital, three months full restrictions which is no lifting of anything. First four weeks I can't twist from side to side.

Monica
10-17-2006, 11:47 PM
Pectus Excavatum a.k.a. chest reconstruction in 2001.

They untwisted my sternum, cut out a good amount of cartilage, re inflated my lungs, sawed the tips of my ribs off, moved some stuff around, and put two drainage tubes in. Spent four days in the hospital and was out of school for a little over a month.

Similar surgery coming up again soon once my health insurance clears it. Cheap bastards..

This time around they are putting two stainless steel rods in. One under my arm pit and the other just above my stomach. One bar goes in from the left side and the other goes in from the right. They are going to use a camera so they can see where they are going and if they need to anything else.

My first surgery didn't hold up since I started getting taller post surgery so everything moved forward and my heart shifted off to the side and down. Small space between my spinal cord and heart, lung capacity is shot, and I'm just generally fucked up health wise.

One week minimum in the hospital, three months full restrictions which is no lifting of anything. First four weeks I can't twist from side to side.

Ohhhhhhhhhhh...:eek: I think I remember you posting about that. :(

Lilith
10-18-2006, 12:18 AM
I have to get my abdomen sliced up soon to see if I'm internally bleeding. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endometriosis lol

Skulkraken
10-18-2006, 07:54 AM
Ouch. The only surgery I've ever had was to remove my tonsils when I was a toddler.

ShadowTiger
10-18-2006, 09:52 AM
I've had some minor surgery at one point. It really wasn't anything "major," although to be fair, no doctor had ever seen anything like it before. The thing is, the local anaesthetic kicked in after the operation, and I couldn't even sit in the chair right. I kept falling off.

VEL
10-18-2006, 08:29 PM
I've had one surgery so far, I was awake during it, but I was on enough meds that I was kinda out of it. It was kinda weird though, I felt no pain, but could feel them moving stuff around, and I felt the coldness of an instrument at one point, and stuff like that. I remember after it was done they wheeled me down in a wheelchair, and I was still kinda out of it, and I really felt like yelling "WEEEEEE", but I didn't.

I also think I'll probably need to get a wisdom tooth out sometime, since it grew in really weird and is kinda jammed into the tooth next to it.

koopa
10-19-2006, 11:42 AM
Probably you won't see this until you've had your surgery, but good luck and I hope it goes well anyway.

I've luckily never needed any surgery myself, just some teeth extracted, and the dentist thinks my wisdom teeth should come out too ... well I'll deal with that when I have to.

Monica
10-20-2006, 02:34 PM
Well I had my surgery, and I don't think I'll be healed for a week or so. My foot's all bandgaged up and it was so swollen he had to do plastic surgery on it. I have an electric wheelchair still from the time I had to wear casts to stretch my tendons so I'm using that.

Prrkitty
10-20-2006, 02:36 PM
Glad it went well hon. Just be sure to take good care of yourself :)
<hug>

ZTC
10-20-2006, 03:29 PM
Glad to hear that you got out of surgery ok. May it be a speedy recovery.

biggiy05
11-03-2006, 09:48 AM
I'm going for mine November 30th. I have no idea about times or anything else until I get all my papers.

This is going to be fun.

Monica
11-03-2006, 12:53 PM
I had 16 stitches and I got them taken out on Tuesday but it wasn't completely healed so I've been wearing bandaides keeping it closed so it won't have a wide scar, and it's healing pretty good. :)

biggiy05
02-21-2007, 01:34 PM
Chest reconstruction tomorrow sometime in the morning I'm guessing. Just waiting for the hospital to call me with a time. My original date was November 30th but I lost it because of problems with my insurance.