PDA

View Full Version : Internet Connection Problem....

Dogchew9
10-15-2006, 03:49 PM
Usually my internet runs at around 200 kb per sec, but for some reason right now its only going at about 15kp per sec -.-. What the hell is wrong?

AtmaWeapon
10-15-2006, 03:54 PM
Cable internet or leaky pipes I dunno you didn't give us any information but INTERNET

Dogchew9
10-15-2006, 04:04 PM
I'm running Roadrunner, which is usually good, but now it's SLOW for some unknown reason. It's a cable modem, yes.

Masamune
10-15-2006, 04:04 PM
You ran out of internets.

Dogchew9
10-15-2006, 04:05 PM
I just want my internet to stop sucking.

Mitsukara
10-15-2006, 04:10 PM
It could be because of cold weather/snow/rain/storms near your area affecting the lines somewhere. New York recently had a blizzard, and even here in Texas it's been nice and cool and rainy.

Dogchew9
10-15-2006, 04:17 PM
That sucks. 'Cause now instead of waiting half an hour for a 315 meg download, I have to wait 7 hours....

erm2003
10-15-2006, 04:17 PM
Time Warner has also been in the middle of some rather major network updates. It's possible you are just exerpiencing something if they are in the middle of some work in your area. If it doesn't improve after a few days give them a call and maybe they can tell you what to do.

Dogchew9
10-15-2006, 04:23 PM
A few days? Damnit.

AtmaWeapon
10-15-2006, 07:36 PM
I had cable once and heard some explanation of varying speeds and honestly my experience seems to verify it:

There is some concept of a "node" and everyone on the node shares the cable service. You share internet service with everyone on the node as well. When the node is nearly empty you get full service; when the node is nearly full you get minimal service.

I don't know or claim that this description is wholly accurate, but my experience with cable showed that both my upstream and downstream bandwidth increased by a large factor at about 1AM, with a second, larger spike in increased bandwidth around 3AM. I figure that coincides pretty well with the average bedtimes for the people in my apartment complex.

Also, how are you determining the "speed" of your connection? If you are using BitTorrent that is not a good comparison as there's a lot of factors that affect what your speeds will be through that. Same with file-sharing networks or file downloads: varying conditions on every piece of networking equipment between your PC and the host machine can have an effect. The only real way to get a reliable result is to run a speed test (like this one (http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest)).

Dogchew9
10-15-2006, 07:50 PM
It's fixed now, but I was determining it by the speed of me downloading a certain file earlier...

Breaker
10-15-2006, 10:46 PM
what's it like living in stupid?

MottZilla
10-16-2006, 01:37 AM
Quit being a bum and buy your own T1 line.

Executioner of Deities
10-16-2006, 02:40 AM
T1, holy crap dude, way too expensive...its not even quite as capable (1.5mbps up and down), but very much more reliable...and yeah, AtmaWeapon, you're right about nodes dude. I worked as a tech support guy for Charter Communications (cable tv, internet, phone service, I did tech support for internet), and overloaded nodes can screw you over on bandwidth...usually, a good network admin won't route too many customers through the same node provided the company creates enough nodes to handle their customer base, so your minimal bandwidth shouldn't be anyless than a third of what you're paying for (I think roadrunner does 8mbps now...dunno though, Charter only gave 4mbps), provided everything else is working properly.

Then there are unreliable cable lines all over the country, which can cause some major signal interference, based on the weather or the stupid dog or the idiot with hedge trimmers. Then there are the people who like to split one cable line 15 times so every room in their house has cable when they only paid for one line to be installed, which decreases signal strength so severely a modem can't communicate with the node. And theres always the unfortunate soul that got the RCA-Thompson modem, which are infamous for causing serious intermittance due to cheap-ass manufacturing methods. Theres all sorts of stupid factors to deal with involving cable modems...

But the problem in question was probably alot simpler than any of those...

I was determining it by the speed of me downloading a certain file earlier...
Countless times I would get a drunk ass customer on the phone at 2 in the morning wondering why his internet wouldn't download lightning fast from this one website. If it's just one site thats giving you the problem, its not your internet connection, it's their webserver...dur, I felt like smacking those people upside the head, but I guess thats why they made us talk to them on the phone instead of sending us to their houses.

Cloral
10-16-2006, 01:48 PM
Time Warner sucks. Do like I did and ditch them for DSL. It's a lot more stable and reliable, not to mention a lot less laggy - which makes playing games online a lot less frusterating.

biggiy05
10-16-2006, 02:21 PM
Time Warner sucks. Do like I did and ditch them for DSL. It's a lot more stable and reliable, not to mention a lot less laggy - which makes playing games online a lot less frusterating.

Who are you getting DSL through and what kind of speeds do you get?

MottZilla
10-16-2006, 02:52 PM
I get DSL too, through SBC/Yahoo/AT&T whatever the fuck they are called now. I get around 512kbps up and between 1.5 and 2mbps down with good ping times. It's only like 20 bucks a month or something. It's fairly reliable, although people in this house are retards and will plug shit into the phones without a filter and fuck it all up.

Michaelk88
10-16-2006, 06:14 PM
Sometimes its not only YOUR speed.. but THEIR speed as well.

Like if you download from a server on dialup, it will be at a crawl no matter what.
(reminds me of the good ol' days of trying to post screenshots on my own computer, but
now i get dsl)

Also, my dsl is either up, or down, theres no between