PDA

View Full Version : Two questions

TheBestGamer
10-11-2006, 08:47 PM
1. How can I recolor a single tile on a map without recoloring everything else? I need to do this to make water blue in dungeons.
2. Is it possible to put a shop in a dungeon? If so, how?

Modus Ponens
10-11-2006, 10:08 PM
1. Do you mean that you want to recolor every appearance of a single tile, or just one? If you want to do them all, then you could change the tile itself to include different colors, or you could do what I'm about to suggest. If you just mean one instance (or, as I just mentioned, want another way to do all of them), then you'll probably want to place it with a different cset. This is done by using the + and - keys on your numeric keypad. Of course, you may want to modify the cset you end up using to accomodate the change you want to make.

2. Sure, no problem: just define the room type you want and provide all the same details as you would were it an overworld shop. The guy and shop will appear on the screen without requiring a warp of any kind, just like the guy appears in dungeons normally. (Thus, you won't be able to walk into the upper half of the screen while he's there, he'll appear every time you enter the room, etc.) Also, I believe that it's the case that if you place shutters in the screen, they'll stay shut until you buy something from him. Can someone confirm this? I would, but I must play Ōkami.

TheBestGamer
10-11-2006, 10:12 PM
Thanks, I'll try that.

TheBestGamer
10-11-2006, 10:17 PM
Hmm, the numeric keypad thing didn't work. It only changes the color in the editor, not the game itself. Plus, it changes the colors of the entire dungeon. I want to make the water tiles stay blue in dungeons without changing all the other colors. I know this is possible because it's done in the original first quest. How can I do this?

Modus Ponens
10-12-2006, 02:40 AM
Okay, right. I forgot to mention that you have to specify the dungeon's color scheme when you define the dmap. It's all in there along with the dmap name, level number, etc. As for the water color, with the right palette, you should be able to find a cset with the color you want. If you can't, just make your own.

LinkMaster500
10-12-2006, 11:26 AM
I think that is correct that if you place shutters on a shop screen, they open only when you buy something--similar to the "Leave Money or Life" rooms. Just remember not to make it possible to access dungeon shop rooms from the top as Link will get stuck. You can enter shops from the bottom, left or right just fine though.

fopo3141
10-14-2006, 04:01 PM
Were you pressing + and - on the numeric keypad, or the actual numbers?

TheBestGamer
10-14-2006, 06:58 PM
I was pressing the numbers. Why do you ask?

C-Dawg
10-17-2006, 09:38 AM
Alright, TheBestGamer.

There are two things going on here that deal with the color of tiles. Palettes and CSETs. A Palette is the total number of displayable colors on the screen. A CSET is a smaller subset of the colors availible in the Palette. Pushing the number keys will change the Palette used by the screen you are viewing for editing purposes only. You can access Palettes above 9 by pressing F4 and browsing. What you see in the editor is NOT what will display when you play the game. You have to assign a Palette to the Dungeon Map (DMAP) that is active. The DMAP doesn't know what Palette you've selected while working on the map.

The + and - keys on your keypad (not the ones next to your backspace key) switch you between the CSETS within that Palette. When you press these keys, you'll see your combos (in the editor on the right) change colors as they move through the different CSETS. The first four or so CSETS vary from Palette to Palatte and are generally used for level-specific colors. CSETS five through eight are the same across all Palettes; use these CSET for enemies and items so that they always display the same. I forget which one, but some of these CSETS are tied to the Ring that Link has picked up and will change colors when he does so. CSET nine also varies by Palette, and is used to make level-specific colored enemies. In the original LoZ, these included Keese (sometimes blue, sometimes red, remember?) and Zol/Gels.

If you want to place water in a dungeon, you need to select a dungeon Palette (by convention these are 1-9, but it depends on your graphics pack) and then browse through the CSETS to find one that makes your water combos the right color. Then select that combo and place it on the screen. ZQuest will remember what CSET you used to place the combo and display it for the player.

You may have to make new water combos if you have only overworld water, or edit the dungeon Palette to add a water CSET if you don't have one.

TheBestGamer
10-18-2006, 11:18 AM
Alright, TheBestGamer.

There are two things going on here that deal with the color of tiles. Palettes and CSETs. A Palette is the total number of displayable colors on the screen. A CSET is a smaller subset of the colors availible in the Palette. Pushing the number keys will change the Palette used by the screen you are viewing for editing purposes only. You can access Palettes above 9 by pressing F4 and browsing. What you see in the editor is NOT what will display when you play the game. You have to assign a Palette to the Dungeon Map (DMAP) that is active. The DMAP doesn't know what Palette you've selected while working on the map.
So far, nothing I didn't know.
The + and - keys on your keypad (not the ones next to your backspace key) switch you between the CSETS within that Palette. When you press these keys, you'll see your combos (in the editor on the right) change colors as they move through the different CSETS. The first four or so CSETS vary from Palette to Palatte and are generally used for level-specific colors. CSETS five through eight are the same across all Palettes; use these CSET for enemies and items so that they always display the same. I forget which one, but some of these CSETS are tied to the Ring that Link has picked up and will change colors when he does so. CSET nine also varies by Palette, and is used to make level-specific colored enemies. In the original LoZ, these included Keese (sometimes blue, sometimes red, remember?) and Zol/Gels.
Now THAT I didn't know. Thanks!
If you want to place water in a dungeon, you need to select a dungeon Palette (by convention these are 1-9, but it depends on your graphics pack) and then browse through the CSETS to find one that makes your water combos the right color. Then select that combo and place it on the screen. ZQuest will remember what CSET you used to place the combo and display it for the player.
Okay, I'll remember that.
You may have to make new water combos if you have only overworld water, or edit the dungeon Palette to add a water CSET if you don't have one.Thanks for the info!