PDA

View Full Version : Strange internet problem - I play a game, and my internet stops working?

punkonjunk1024
10-09-2006, 07:31 PM
OK, so... I use mozilla firefox, and my ISP is sbcglobal, if it matters. When I play any type of internet related game, be it half-life, counter-strike, Ragnarok, online D2, whatever, my ability to view actual webpages is gone.

Any idea what this might have to do with? Zone alarm pro, maybe being crazy?

{DSG}DarkRaven
10-10-2006, 11:13 AM
I couldn't tell you, but I used to play a game called GunBound (http://www.gunbound.com/), which would close my NetZero connection whenever I exited the program. It only happened on my laptop, and not my desktop, which was weird. I blame NetZero, primarily, but who really knows what strange program interaction caused the issue?

You should try removing any recently installed software, updates, or possibly rolling back a restore point, if you're using Windows XP (and have the feature turned on).

Starkist
10-10-2006, 10:07 PM
Replicate the problem. Open a command line window and try to ping a website, such as www.google.com. If the ping is successful, the problem is likely your browser. Try a different browser and see if the problem continues. If the ping fails, the problem is your connection.

Does the ability to view webpages return after exiting the game? Do you connect to the internet through a router?

punkonjunk1024
10-29-2006, 10:53 PM
It's still occuring. A friend of mine suggested IPconfig /renew in the command, but that does nothing.

I CAN ping a website, including google, with good time. I connect to the internet through a modem, a 2-wire DSL modem.

I haven't tried another browser, but I will next time it happens. Some of the times, I can't get back on a game, either. The game that this occurs mostly with is a pirate(or... private, as they say) RO server, (VAN) could that have anything to do with it?