PDA

View Full Version : Secondary Inventories

C-Dawg
10-09-2006, 01:47 PM
As I understand it, ZClassic scripting does not yet include scripts to take items away. I suggest there should be commands to give and take items from the player. I also suggest there should be a way to save multiple snapshots of which items a player has collected at a particular point.

This would allow the player to switch between different characters (young link and old link, for example) and play in the same world, collecting items that can only be used by one or the other character.

Alternatively, this could be accomplished by a script that "de-activates" an item in the player's possession on any screen or dmap, until another script "re-activates" it. This script would have to be able to handle de-activating an item the player doesn't yet possess.

Tygore
10-09-2006, 02:43 PM
One feature that currently crashes ZQuest is a "Disable Item" function on DMaps, I assume this will be implemented fully eventually. Also, if an item does not have a place on the current passive subscreen, it cannot be selected. You can already designate certain subscreens for certain DMaps.

C-Dawg
10-09-2006, 05:03 PM
The problem with that approach is that it ends up being Dmap-dependant. That is, continuing with the young/old example, young link alone can access a particular DMAP. Old link can't. So you can't have your Goron character go into a dungeon and bomb some walls, then go switch to your Zora character to swim through the hole, for instance.

_L_
10-10-2006, 10:08 AM
I think this stuff has been confirmed for a future release; see this topic (http://www.armageddongames.net/showthread.php?t=93851) (writing to Link->Item[]?)

C-Dawg
10-10-2006, 10:23 AM
Writing to Link->Item is only half of the story, though. You'd need some ability to keep track of what Link2 had collected whenever the player decides to switch, so that when you switch back, you get all your items back. This could be accomplished with a secondary "backup" inventory (or several) or with a command that would let Link keep the items, but render them disabled throughout any Dmap until a script re-enabled them.