PDA

View Full Version : Secondary Character Possible?

Yoshiman
10-08-2006, 01:13 AM
A thought came to me today. Would it be possible to have a point in the quest where the main character has to sit out for a while, and a secondary character takes over?

I was thinking by using Link Tile Mods, Custom Items (so the character has his own equipment), and 8-Bit tiles (for a complete pallette change), you would be able to switch out a character for a short time, and then switch back.

Would this be possible, or would it not work for some reason I overlooked?

Master_of_Power
10-08-2006, 09:54 AM
maybe after you could take away items with scripts, but right now, the secondary character would have all the items and stuff Link had

WindStrike
10-08-2006, 10:53 AM
When beta 15 comes out, koopa should have finished with the 'disable items' thing in the dmap settings. Not sure when the custom item editor comes out, but when it does, then you should be able to.

That is one heck of a brilliant thought. I gotta remind myself to use that in my quest. Wow, so many possibilities with that idea... it opens up a whole new... something (can't think up the word).

However, if no custom item editor is being worked on (I'm fairly sure it is... but just in case), then I suppose what you could do is from the start, have Link carry the items that the other character will have, but disable them until the other character has them. Then... I suppose later on, you can reach that character and let's say he did this and that but in the end, he's dead. Well, it could also be a she too. And then you grab that character's items by re-enabling them in the dmap properties. That's all I can think of.

C-Dawg
10-09-2006, 01:42 PM
Say you were using multiple playable characters. Say further you can switch between them at will, ala Orc.OT's young link and old link, and they each use different items. Using scripting, is there a way to keep track of the not-in-use character's inventory while the in-use character is running around?

DarkDragon
10-13-2006, 07:06 AM
Yes, using global or screen variables. There are (currrently) 256 item slots, so you could encode the possession of each item as one bit, store the inventory information in a few of these variables, then consult it at will.