PDA

View Full Version : My Gamecube controller no longer rumbles

vegeta1215
10-07-2006, 07:30 PM
I've been using my Wavebird controller for so long that I didn't even notice at first when my jet black Gamecube controller no longer rumbled. I tried a few different games with a few different controller ports, (and I made sure the game had rumble turned on), but I get no rumble at all. The controller works fine otherwise.

Has anyone else ever had this problem? I take really good care on my stuff, so I can't imagine why this controller's rumble feature would flake out. I've never had a problem with Nintendo controllers before.

MottZilla
10-07-2006, 08:09 PM
The motor may have had a defective component, or just one of lower quality than most. It's possible you could fix it, but it's unlikely it'd be worth it. You really should just get a new controller to replace it. You could try googling to see if it's a common problem. But if only one of your controllers is doing that, I'd just say defective/low quality part died.

{DSG}DarkRaven
10-07-2006, 09:15 PM
Has anyone else ever had this problem? I take really good care on my stuff, so I can't imagine why this controller's rumble feature would flake out. I've never had a problem with Nintendo controllers before.

Stop using your controllers for personal pleasure, and maybe you won't go through so many of them. :rolleyes:

Or, you probably just got a lemon. Nintendo is not known for their hardware failure as much as Sony is, but they certainly have issues every now and then, or else they wouldn't have a technical support line. If you don't miss it, it's no big deal. If you do, just go out and buy a new controller. They're not that expensive, especially compared with the new Wii-motes.

vegeta1215
10-07-2006, 11:19 PM
It's the same controller I got with my Gamecube back in 2003, so it's not too old. But, it's the only controller I have other than my Wavebird. Like I said, it works fine, it just doesn't have any rumble - but that's the only reason I'd ever use it now that I have a Wavebird.

I searched Google to see if others have had the same problem, but had no luck. I did find some people on the Nintendo NSider community forum though. I think the only thing I have to do now before buying a new one is to borrow someone else's controller and rule out the possibility that something is wrong with my system.

redmage777
10-07-2006, 11:20 PM
Since the controler still works, I'd recommend keeping it as a spare and getting a new one to replace it as your Primary controller (Never hurts to have an extra when someone else wants to play.)

Mak-X
10-08-2006, 09:23 PM
Maybe if you keep turning on and off the rumble feature in a game like Smash Bros, it might jumpstart the motor. Most games make the controller vibrate when rumble is turned on.

If your looking for a new controller that's a little more unique, check the Japan only Emerald Green color, which is my current favorite. It's about the same color of the Japanese Famicom box for The Legend of Zelda 1.
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-23-49-en-70-1xd.html

Strider1982
10-08-2006, 10:38 PM
Never seen a green GameCube controller before...interesting. I might have to look into getting one.

Masamune
10-08-2006, 11:06 PM
Never seen a green GameCube controller before...interesting. I might have to look into getting one.

It's a HUGE upgrade from the old purple, black, and silver ones.

Orion
10-09-2006, 05:49 PM
One of my GameCube controllers stopped rumbling after a lot of non-use too. At first it was really weak, then it just stopped. It doesn't bother me so much since I don't think rumble adds a lot to a game anyway, but yeah. I don't think the controllers are that expensive anymore, are they?

vegeta1215
10-09-2006, 06:12 PM
They aren't expensive. They're only $20, but that's $20 I'd rather spend on something else. Oh well.

btw, thanks for the link Mak, that green controller looks neats.