PDA

View Full Version : Are you pre-ordering the Wii?

Orion
10-06-2006, 05:34 PM
I'm trying to figure out if I should pre-order it online or wait and get it from my local Walmart. I assume that if I ordered it online, it wouldn't arrive until the Monday or Tuesday after launch, even with the fastest shipping, right?

But I'm fairly sure (as my room mate works at Walmart) that they won't be taking preorders for the Wii there (I live in a fairly small city), so I'm trying to figure out if I'd be better off just going there at midnight at launch and taking my chances.

Any suggestions?

erm2003
10-06-2006, 06:06 PM
What site can you pre-order it online from? I just checked a couple and don't see an option yet, but it's probably too early for most sites. Is Game Stop taking pre-orders in store now?

MottZilla
10-06-2006, 06:14 PM
They say they've already got 2 million Wii manufactured and another 9 million are slated to be manufactured before the end of the year. So I imagine even if you don't get one launch day you could get one a week later. I wouldn't worry too much about getting it launch day. I still think if you live in a regular nothing special city that you can just go to your local store early launch day and grab one.

I just plan on checking if BestBuy or anywhere around here has any kind of midnight launch planned, and if not what the launch day will be looking like. I don't expect a big rush. When the DS was new I just walked in early that day and there was a table setup full of DS systems. I think that was after christmas.

Anyway, while I'm sure Wii will be popular, I don't expect huge lines where I live. I figure I'll just go walk in early and not have a problem.

Warlock
10-06-2006, 06:28 PM
Right.. I imagine it's only really places like New York, Los Angeles, etc, that probably need to worry. I imagine it's crazy shopping over there, esp. at this time of year ;)

ctrl-alt-delete
10-06-2006, 08:05 PM
Got a local Gamestop or EB Games? (By local...I mean...come on...is a thirty minute drive not worth it?)

That is where I am preordering mine when the opportunity arises. Tons of online retailers that have set up preorders are already sold out.

MottZilla
10-06-2006, 09:29 PM
Ya but online has a HUGE buying pool, unlike local stores that have far more limited and likely less motivated pools of people.

{DSG}DarkRaven
10-07-2006, 12:15 AM
I won't have the available money until nearer to Christmas, or maybe after, because honestly, I don't think I can get away with it. Apparently, you're supposed to buy things for other people too.

MottZilla
10-07-2006, 02:03 AM
Only if people buy things for you.

Grasshopper
10-07-2006, 10:29 AM
Of course, but Gamestop isn't taking pre-orders yet. They keep saying any day now, but they've been saying that the last several days. Plus I've heard employees may not be able pre-order...which makes me mad. Don't make me go to Wal-Mart to get my Wii.

MottZilla
10-07-2006, 03:37 PM
Well if you can't preorder maybe you're just supposed to 5 finger discount one for yourself. ;) Really that's lame if you can't pre-order because you work there.

Rijuhn
10-07-2006, 05:10 PM
I would really like to pre-order a Wii, but I currently don't have much money, and the money I do have has to go for food and gas in my car. I already owe my dad $700 some dollars and add my car insurance and it looks like I might not get a Wii until Christmas. Oh well I say, where there is a will there is a way, so I think I'll be okay.

Cloral
10-09-2006, 12:12 PM
My friend tells me that the pre-orders are suppossed to start on Tuesday, though I don't know where he heard that from.

AtmaWeapon
10-09-2006, 07:15 PM
I am going to visit my local Gamestop and see if there is a preorder tomorrow. If so I want to see what the deal is like.

If the deal is "Pay us $50 more than suggested retail and get the basic bundle that people will get the next week for less" then I see no reason to preorder.

If the deal is "Pay some premium and we throw in a game/controller/bento box along with your Wii" then I'm going to look at my money situation and decide if I have the cash.

If the deal is "Order now and you'll have one" I'll just kind of look at my money and decide if I have enough cash.

Basically I hate preorders because they never seem to deliver.

MottZilla
10-10-2006, 04:16 AM
The only thing I ever preordered was Zelda OoT for N64. Turned out great. But that was along time ago and just a game, not a system. Still I don't think I'd have any problem finding a Wii.

goKi
10-10-2006, 04:18 AM
Already preordered back in May. Australia kicks ass.