PDA

View Full Version : New FireFox

EliteCalls
10-05-2006, 01:35 PM
Hello all

The new version of the popular web browser Mozilla Firefox :)

http://www.elitecalls.info/firefox.jpg

Breaker
10-05-2006, 01:42 PM
Internet Explorer 7.0 > FireFox.

ZTC
10-05-2006, 02:14 PM
lolifox > FireFox

btw, it's not a firefox unless the fox is on fire :rolleyes:

mikeron
10-05-2006, 02:52 PM

omg ghey!

Mitsukara
10-05-2006, 03:31 PM
lolifox > FireFox
Lolifox works quite well for me, and I prefer it to my experiences with Internet Explorer. I haven't used normal Firefox, but I'm told it tends to hog system resources and such; that was part of my inclination to use lolifox instead, since my computer is old and junky.

It runs quite well on Windows ME/128MB RAM/a Pentium II, and is more user-friendly and practical than IE. Tabbed browsing is nice, and sites no longer display stupid little messages bitching at me for using IE (which, by the way, are assinine). Restoring sessions after a lockup/reboot is great, and if Windows Explorer blows up (which happens less often since- I think- IE = WE basically, and if one crashes they both do), lolifox still runs, which is very nice after all those years of crashes killing everything I had open. About the only disadvantage I've found is that- probably unique to my slow computer- it takes about 15-25 seconds to open a lolifox window if one wasn't previously running.

I can see where IE works for some people, and personally I like to not ignore the fact that it's, oh yeah, standard and extremely common. There's no need to be rude just because someone's using the mainstream, common, always-available, familiar thing based solely on something existing that you like better. I say it's up to the individual to use whatever they want. As for me, I like lolifox. *shrugs*

Kairyu
10-05-2006, 03:51 PM
Wait, there's an actual browser called Lolifox? I thought that was just some Pedos expressing their simultaneous, obsessive love for young girls and a particular browser.

Anyway, I use Opera, as linked in my sig. I started trying it out when I heard that the DS would have an Opera browser, and it works better (and faster) than Mozilla and IE for me. I've never had any interest in trying out Firefox.

AtmaWeapon
10-05-2006, 04:25 PM
Wait, there's an actual browser called Lolifox? I thought that was just some Pedos expressing their simultaneous, obsessive love for young girls and a particular browser.

Anyway, I use Opera, as linked in my sig. I started trying it out when I heard that the DS would have an Opera browser, and it works better (and faster) than Mozilla and IE for me. I've never had any interest in trying out Firefox.I tried it one time (back when the ad banners were the most important feature) and it was more disappointing than that time I accidentally uninstalled IE 5 from Windows 98 and had to try and download IE4 using IE 2.0 I found on a Win95 disc. I pretty much quit using it when, after 12 attempts, the "View Source" menu item did nothing.

Also lolifox is just kind of creepy I'd probably use it if it weren't for the name and associated image of Animu nerds who get off to underage girls.

Also that fox is hungry lol

Breaker
10-05-2006, 05:02 PM

Anyway, I use Opera, as linked in my sig. I started trying it out when I heard that the DS would have an Opera browser, and it works better (and faster) than Mozilla and IE for me. I've never had any interest in trying out Firefox.

The new ad-free Opera is the best, overall. IE 7.0 comes in second. Firefox is garbage compared to both of them.

Cloral
10-05-2006, 06:13 PM
Agreed. Opera is the best browser.

BTW, can someone edit the ad link out of that picture? The whole thing is just an ad for this guy's site.

Starkist
10-05-2006, 10:09 PM
I use Firefox. Not for any high and mighty reasons of security or open source support, but because it is very customizable. I can install plugins for almost anything I can think of. The memory footprint is a little off-putting, but with 2GB of RAM I can spare it. I keep IE 7 around as well. I try Opera about twice a year but end up uninstalling it because of minor irritations.

That said, Firefox fanboys are some of the worst on the web. They treat their web browser as if it were a religion.

Daarkseid
10-05-2006, 10:26 PM
BTW, can someone edit the ad link out of that picture? The whole thing is just an ad for this guy's site.

The topic would've had to be closed, but thats a cool picture.

Beldaran
10-05-2006, 10:56 PM

Quoted for falsehood.

Breaker
10-06-2006, 02:58 AM
Quoted for falsehood.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/FirefoxMyths.html

I can't and don't want to stop you from being a firefox poster boy. Besides, who would I have to laugh at if I did?

Regardless, it's true. Firefox sucks. It was better than previous versions of IE, but the new 7.0 beta is sweet all around.

mikeron
10-06-2006, 04:27 AM
That link is very slanted.

As far as browsers, Firefox 1.5.0.7 loads the pages I go to better than Opera 9.02 does. However, I prefer the Bookmarks menu in Opera, and the full screen mode. I've never tried IE7, and after dealing with IE6, I doubt I ever will.

Modus Ponens
10-06-2006, 04:35 AM
I've never tried IE7, and after dealing with IE6, I doubt I ever will.

That's not very fair, now, is it, mikeron? The Dungeons & Dragons Second Edition armor class system (AKA THAC0 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/THAC0)) was terribly confusing for many people, but that didn't stop them from enjoying the rich, heady fullness of the Third Edition system.

...That said, I haven't tried IE 7 either, and I'm a Firefox user. Still, my point is made.

Nicholas Steel
10-06-2006, 09:53 AM
i got some sites i visit that trash windows to pieces no matter what virus/spyware scanner you use... but it only does it in IE... in FF it is a nice easy to access site.

(cant link to it publicly)

and if they changed IE 7 tabs so that each tab has its own X instead of a new tab button then they would be on par with FF...

why do people say firefox is gay without giving a reason? it uses no more then 80mb of ram...

koopa
10-06-2006, 10:09 AM
I use firefox mainly because I've been doing so for some time. Ever since Opera became ad-free and IE got a popup blocker and tabs, Firefox stopped being "better" then either of them in my opinion - but I still like it.

And what exactly is lolifox (the browser)?

Grasshopper
10-06-2006, 10:41 AM
Agreed. Opera is the best browser.
Althought I use Firefox on this computer, I do have Opera on my Laptop, and it is quite spiffy. I like Opera very much.

Orion
10-06-2006, 12:42 PM
I use Safari. *prepares to be laughed at*

Monica
10-06-2006, 12:55 PM
I tried Firefox before and it felt so...broken, and incomplete, and it was too much trouble to "put it together", it felt like it could crash at any minute, it didn't seem put together well.

Now I use Opera, and I can never look back, lol.

ZTC
10-06-2006, 01:01 PM
And what exactly is lolifox (the browser)?

lolifox is a customized version of Mozilla's Firefox made for the Anime-Community.

mostly differences in looks, and anime-related stuff for the bookmarks; just click the pic in my sig to try it *shrugs*

Beldaran
10-06-2006, 01:11 PM

Wow,what an amazingly worthless and non-academic source you've cited! I already feel convinced!

I can't and don't want to stop you from being a firefox poster boy. Besides, who would I have to laugh at if I did?

Not fanboy. Many well respected and highly educated computer scientists believe Firefox excels on technical philosophical merit. But not to worry, you've completely convinced me by acting tough and savy!

Regardless, it's true. Firefox

Since a great many people who are far more educated and sucessful than you disagree with this, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the keyboard cowboy from the videogame forum is flat wrong.

Kairyu
10-06-2006, 02:54 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the keyboard cowboy from the videogame forum is flat wrong.

I'd just like to point out that, at the time of writing this, Breaker's avatar is a Transformer, whilst yours is a cowboy.

Beldaran
10-06-2006, 03:10 PM
I'd just like to point out that, at the time of writing this, Breaker's avatar is a Transformer, whilst yours is a cowboy.

True, but I'm not making broad statements about the technilogical inferiority of technology I don't fully understand.

Breaker
10-06-2006, 06:54 PM
lol, you're talking out of your ass. Have you given any counter arguement or facts as to why Firefox is apparently superior other than "it just is"? No, it's far easier just to sling stupid insults in retort.

Btw, many "well respected and highly educated computer scientists" probably don't want you of all people speaking for them.

mikeron
10-06-2006, 06:58 PM
The Dungeons & Dragons Second Edition armor class system (AKA THAC0 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/THAC0)) was terribly confusing for many people, but that didn't stop them from enjoying the rich, heady fullness of the Third Edition system.Actually, I think it's more like drinking the water in Mexico: millions of people do it every day with no problem, but one bad experience is all it takes to permanently change your outlook.

That brings me to the main reason I use Firefox. It seems like you can recover from problems more quickly than with some of the other browsers. Of course, when I eventually get 2.0, I may end up switching permanently to Opera...

biggiy05
10-06-2006, 11:11 PM
Different strokes for different folks.

Some like Opera, some like IE, others like Firefox. Everyone has their own favorite.

I like firefox. I tried Opera once but didn't like it and I hated IE but I haven't tried the new version yet.

Kairyu
10-07-2006, 12:11 AM
It seems like you can recover from problems more quickly than with some of the other browsers.
I've only had Opera crash on me with one site, a horribly-coded wiki clone that was initially going to be used in my CSCC Ethics class. We switched to a normal bulletin board within a month. The thing was absolute trash.

Anyway, when it did crash, the next time I brought up Opera, it offered me the choice of reopening any tabs I had open when it crashed. I like that.

biggiy05
10-07-2006, 12:25 AM
Anyway, when it did crash, the next time I brought up Opera, it offered me the choice of reopening any tabs I had open when it crashed. I like that.

The new beta for firefox. It might not be a beta anymore but they named it minefield and it offers to restore the session if my computer restarts or firefox dies.

Beldaran
10-07-2006, 03:52 PM
lol, you're talking out of your ass. Have you given any counter arguement or facts as to why Firefox is apparently superior other than "it just is"? No, it's far easier just to sling stupid insults in retort.

I've made no claims. I simply expressed doubt as to yours. You should practice reading and understanding what people say, and you should look up information on how to argue. Since I've expressed doubt as to your claims, the burden of proof is on you to prove you're right. I don't have to disprove every ridiculous thing you say.

Btw, many "well respected and highly educated computer scientists" probably don't want you of all people speaking for them.

I'm not speaking for them. I'm simply pointing out that they exist. Again, you should consider more carefully what someone is saying before you demonstrate that you can't understand their line of thought by attacking it from the wrong angle.

I wouldn't feel bad if I were you. Not everyone excels at basic reading and discussion.

Rijuhn
10-07-2006, 04:48 PM
I'm not sure how many of you are aware of this tabbed browser called Maxthon, but I'm using it right now and I think it's the best thing around. Granted I haven't tried firefox or opera, so to me Maxthon is the best, and I've seen no need to try any other browser. Sometime in the future I'll test out the other browsers though.

http://www.maxthon.com

Starkist
10-08-2006, 02:26 AM
Since a great many people who are far more educated and sucessful than you disagree with this, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the keyboard cowboy from the videogame forum is flat wrong.

http://www.ywave.com/~starkist/dan.gif

Beldaran
10-08-2006, 02:51 AM
http://www.ywave.com/~starkist/dan.gif

You're right Starkist, I should never seriously consider the advice of trained professionals. I should just make things up and think whatever makes me feel good. Oh wait, that's religion.

I'll stick to my "illogical" practice of believing what highly educated professionals say, as I find it slightly superior to accepting whatever Breaker says (whether he backs it up or not) as the ultimate truth.

http://www.forrestkyle.com/dan2.jpg

Breaker
10-08-2006, 06:20 AM
Not everything is an arguement, Beldaran. Besides, you're really not even worth the effort. =/

Mitsukara
10-08-2006, 06:59 PM
I don't mean to take sides, but I have to agree, this arguement is, well... dumb.

I mean, geez, a person likes what a person likes. Browsers have their strengths and weaknesses, but all that really matters is if it works for the person who uses it. Recommendations, stated opinions, that's all great, but what's the point of arguing about it?

That is all. I will no longer post in this thread unless I'm offered anime, money, or perhaps a jelly baby from The Doctor.

Executioner of Deities
10-09-2006, 04:07 AM
I like firefox, because its lighter on my computer than Opera and handles websites better than IE. It would seem to me microsoft doesn't understand the meaning of "web standards." I program for firefox and IE all the time, and more often then not after a first revision my standards compliant webpage works perfectly in firefox and is totally fuckin screwed in IE. So I have to go back and reprogram all my shit to work right in both browsers. IE handles tables oddly, redundantly applies space where none should exist, and has virtually no concept of the purpose of CSS. All in all firefox is a better browser, you IE fans just dont want to admit it because microsoft finally figured out how to make a tab-based browser, so now you're all jizzin your pants over a decade-old technology that mozilla masterfully executed with firefox long before IE7 was even in beta release. As for the security enhancements, RSS support, and other such redundant features of IE7, they are simply useless and pointless. With a good firewall, and a decently programmed browser, you don't need any extra security. Firefox supported RSS from the start, so don't try to hold that bullshit over my head. And IE7s search feature, old skool opera came out with that first, even before firefox. Printing features? If it wasnt so screwed up in the first place, it wouldn't need enhanced printing features.

As for firefox being a RAMhog, not anymore than IE6 is. I run both on my win98, 166mhz, 64MB RAM dinosaur, and they both take an equally long time to load up. After they finish starting, its as quick as it could ever hope to be on such a slow ass computer, but truly I get a smoother and quicker response time from firefox...can't say why. All in all, IE7 truly is the Internet Exploder.

Kairyu
10-09-2006, 10:15 AM
I wasn't going to reply to this thread anymore, but you really do need to lighten up. As I said earlier, I'm an Opera fan, but you're just being a ranting fanboy here.

All in all firefox is a better browser, you IE fans just dont want to admit it because microsoft finally figured out how to make a tab-based browser, so now you're all jizzin your pants over a decade-old technology that mozilla masterfully executed with firefox long before IE7 was even in beta release.
Opera had it before you, and I'm pretty sure someone else had it before that.

As for the security enhancements, RSS support, and other such redundant features of IE7, they are simply useless and pointless. With a good firewall, and a decently programmed browser, you don't need any extra security.
Okay, so you complain that the browser isn't safe, but you then complain when they try to fix the safety issues? Um, yeah, that works.

As for firefox being a RAMhog, not anymore than IE6 is. I run both on my win98, 166mhz, 64MB RAM dinosaur, and they both take an equally long time to load up. After they finish starting, its as quick as it could ever hope to be on such a slow ass computer, but truly I get a smoother and quicker response time from firefox...can't say why.
Actually, on my old '98 60MB (I forget the processor) PC, IE6 loads and executes faster as long as I'm not working with a half dozen tabs or windows. Not by any amount of time worth noting, but it's faster.

Seriously, just lighten up. It's a browser. No need to go evangelical.

Beldaran
10-09-2006, 10:28 AM
Actually, on my old '98 60MB (I forget the processor) PC, IE6 loads and executes faster as long as I'm not working with a half dozen tabs or windows. Not by any amount of time worth noting, but it's faster.

Gee, who would have thought that the people who wrote the operating system could build their web browser into it and make it run faster by denying outsiders the knowledge necessary to wring performance out of their shit cake OS?

Executioner of Deities
10-09-2006, 01:28 PM
Im not being evangelical...Im just trying to give a good arguement for firefox, which apparently no one cares to do, *shrug* And Im certainly not a fanboy...Opera has alot of stuff better than firefox, its just more RAM consuming than firefox is as a result, or thus is my experience. Opera's skins certainly are cooler. What I don't understand is why anyone would want to be an IE posterboy, for cripes sake its microsoft...the fact that they waited how many years to put out a modern tabbed-based browser ought to be enough to skew them away from the arguement altogether (it took the success of firefox and the infringement on IE's users for them to open their eyes), not to mention their lack of first party plugin support, which I didn't even cover. I love the plugins in firefox, I have a kickass FTP client, a download manager, countless skins...its just frkin great being givin the opportunity to completely customize your browser, inside and out. Microsoft would never encourage community based development or genuine customization of any of their products, and that pisses me off the most.

Kairyu
10-09-2006, 02:41 PM
Im not being evangelical...Im just trying to give a good arguement for firefox, which apparently no one cares to do,
Actually, Beldaran seems to be doing a decent job of it. And he's doing it without resorting to half as many insults.

*shrug* And Im certainly not a fanboy...Opera has alot of stuff better than firefox, its just more RAM consuming than firefox is as a result, or thus is my experience.
I've never had actual RAM issues with any of the big three browsers as long as I didn't do anything stupid (i.e. open 300 tabs/windows at once). I don't do much online gaming, though, so maybe it's more of an issue for other people.

What I don't understand is why anyone would want to be an IE posterboy,
It's possible for someone to say something good about something without automatically becoming a fanboy for it. I can say the PS3 will certainly have the most powerful processor of the next-gen systems, but I'm certainly not a PS3 fan.

for cripes sake its microsoft...
Yeah... and... so? It's not like Microsoft is a corporate incarnation of the anti-Christ. They're clearly not a paragon of good practice and fairness, but that doesn't mean they don't get things right every once in a while.

the fact that they waited how many years to put out a modern tabbed-based browser ought to be enough to skew them away from the arguement altogether (it took the success of firefox and the infringement on IE's users for them to open their eyes),
How many years did it take them to add support for tabs after most of their userbase actually started asking for them? That's not a rhetorical question, I honestly don't know the number.

Microsoft would never encourage community based development or genuine customization of any of their products, and that pisses me off the most.
If you don't use IE anyway, why would it piss you off that they are or are not doing something?

Executioner of Deities
10-09-2006, 04:29 PM
Im a webmaster, it pisses me off because most people do use IE, so I have to program for it. What is with all your quoting? You can just reply, you dont need to rhetort on every point I make quoting the whole way through. Its really unnecessary, people can scroll up 200 pixels and see what I said for themselves.

And Microsoft does suck, they suck now and they always have sucked and they always will, because they're always trailing behind the latest advancements, they're always playing catchup to community based development teams, and they're always fucking something up around every corner trying to make it "user-friendly". They may not be the corporate embodiment of the anti-christ, but they seem like the technological anti-christ to me.

Lets talk about standards for a moment, does microsoft even know who the W3C is? IE6 treated CSS like it was some unnecessary add-on to HTML, hardly even recognizing the way it was meant to work and be displayed. Tables in IE are like a foreign language in and of itself, it hardly reacts the way every other browser in the world does. IE seems to beleive space should be added where none should exist, screwing up absolute positioning all over a page and forcing a programmer to script arbitrarily just for the exploder. I've heard IE7 improves upon standards support, but still doesn't quite hit the nail on the head, whereas Opera, Firefox, Netscape, Safari, Knoqueror and every other browser there is in the world displays and has displayed for years CSS and HTML perfectly the way it was meant to be.

I dunno, I am happy that IE7 improves upon the deficiencies of IE6, it makes my job a little easier. But I won't stand aside and let someone say its a better browser than firefox, because it isn't. It's a product of Microsoft's fear of loosing people to firefox, and thats the truth.

AtmaWeapon
10-09-2006, 06:51 PM
...Take your Mozilla Defense Force over to QuirksMode (http://www.quirksmode.org). You'll notice that not only does Microsoft support W3C fairly well, when you balance the features MS gets right vs. the features others get wrong (excluding the Microsoft-specific extensions) you'll find they are all equally almost-compliant.

Remember, missing one point is as bad as missing 100 when you want to claim full compliance.

I don't think IE is the best browser on the planet but it is hardly the stinking pile of non-compliance that most zealots make it out to be. For that matter, Firefox has its share of problems.

You whine and complain that MS is behind the times on things that community development projects have had but you seem to misunderstand this is the natural result of their business model.

Microsoft sells software. To this end, it is important that they keep their own trade secrets and protect their source code from outside developers. This means their QA and R&D efforts are limited to what resources they can field. While this stifles innovation and prevents a very evolutionary product, it does promote consistency and a model where the compiled binary, rather than the source or support, is the item sold.

The Mozilla Foundation runs an open-source project that is open to developers worldwide. When run properly, an open-source project is not for profit, and while there are "head developers" the project belongs to all of the developers. If a feature is desired it is added; weak or useless features are pruned. QA and innovation are limited only by the number of participants, though project consistency tends to be lower as the QA end of software isn't as well-liked as the coding end.

So why is it that MS has more problems and less features? Their product is closed-source and proprietary. There is no amount of money they can throw at this problem, and hiring the world's best programmers will not fix it either. The only way these alleged failures of IE can be addressed is through widespread developer support, which Microsoft does not allow for obvious reasons.

For the average user, IE does everything they need it to do and Firefox/Opera are just an annoyance. I have discussed the virtues of tabs with my parents and other less technologically-inclined people, and their verdict is usually "I don't need to have 12 pages open."

So why can't we all be content to let people drive a compact car if they want to, and you can choose to drive the sporty or luxury model (Firefox, Opera, etc.) if you feel like you need it?

A community-driven open source project (when run properly) follows an evolutionary model and new features can be integrated quickly. However, to run this project properly a few

Executioner of Deities
10-09-2006, 07:00 PM
I dont care who drives what kind of browser to wherever they want to drive it to, Im not trying to make converts, Im not saying the average user needs firefox, Im just not letting anyone say something that is so blatantly untrue without giving them a fight. And Im finished doing it now, so bleh.

mikeron
10-09-2006, 11:41 PM
Gee, who would have thought that the people who wrote the operating system could build their web browser into it and make it run faster by denying outsiders the knowledge necessary to wring performance out of their shit cake OS?I'm pretty sure shitcake is one word. [1 (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=shitcake)]

AtmaWeapon
10-10-2006, 05:24 PM
Jesus Christ save us all when nerdrage over internet browsers escalates to the point that people start calling each other out over completely made up compound profanity words that only exist within dictionaries that define other useless nerd words.

Someone needs to put a warning in the thread title for women to stay out of the thread because the nerdfight inside has such concentrated power might make your boobs fall off and your uterus dry up.

Hey guys can someone c/d Windows is better than Linux?